can someone give me some tips to handgun shooting

Staccatos never miss, just ask @Jerzees :wink::rofl:

5 Likes

I found this post and the linked video by @RangeMatt very helpfull:

4 Likes

Great shooting tech advice. My only addition would be in the arena of motivation. Every time I get a sight picture I am drilling down on someone who wants to kill me or others. I am very momentarily focused and aggressive during the engage sequence. Doesn’t matter what drill I am running or whether I am indoors inside a narrow shooting range or outside open air with movement.
The intensity never wavers. Rifle, Pistol. EDC.
I never carelessly wasted time or ammo. Although I have filled a lot of coffee cans with brass. LOL.

3 Likes

That’s a very good point above about how many rounds there were in that target.

As a general rule, you should be able to review every round you fire and know where it hit on the target, or at least every string or course of fire.

As in, if you are shooting slow and methodical one at a time, pick up put down as above, in between shots, look or even mark with a sharpie.

If you are shooting strings where you don’t break your focus from the sight in between, you should pull the target in and mark it after every completed string. Well, depends. If you have a target that counts as a “hit”, you might only mark misses, and if you don’t miss on a string, then you don’t have to mark.

Your two best friends at the range are your target and your timer (when you get to the point of using a timer) because they will tell you definitively how long it took, and where it went. They won’t lie to you, and they will give you good honest usable data that you can use to track progress as well as compare yourself to known standards

A handgun target shot to heck with dozens or a hundred rounds all over and no marks is not making the best use of your friend.

It’s good to change targets often, too
compared to what ammo costs, targets are super cheap. As a USCCA member it’s only $10 for 10 or 12 targets with free shipping for example, and a lot of ranges will have (these are full size 3 foot by 2 foot) targets at around the $1/each mark as well.

3 Likes

I try to focus on the speed I am saving lives or rather the speed I’m stopping the threat to save lives. Works for me.

3 Likes

Would have to agree with @Jerzees

6 Likes

:wink: :smirk:
Yeah
 Staccato helps. Good tool makes your work easier, we all know this.
However, I worked hard for 3 years to achieve my goal.
I stared with results on the left and finished with results on the right.

A 2023-11-09 09-55-33

Then after I fulfilled my goals - I knew I deserved Staccato.

Please don’t make mistake and start with “magic tool” without knowing basics. It won’t work for a long time (probably 2 range visits) :grin:

5 Likes

I am going to take a chance here and say, a very wise
Gunner once told me to aim for the button and you can miss by
2"
aim for the shirt and you can miss by 2’

Years later, I heard the same saying in American Sniper (Chris Kyle’s story)
and I was blown away

Secondly MY OWN personal belief is I don’t like the Large size Targets
(and firing a $hitload of rounds into them). Unless I am Mag dumping for kicks,
Mozambique drill and such!
I like the smaller targets maybe (4) to a sheet
Pick one at a time and mark down what I was trying to achieve. I do MUCH better
w/ the smaller targets. Yes, the Larger targets present a ‘Man Size" target, but if I
score better groupings on a tiny target DEAD IS DEAD! in my book. I don’t want to be busting caps
inside my house and the innocent victims are my water heater, Furnace and Fridge
I want
a dead INVADER w/ the least amount of rounds expended.
Head shots are great but center mass (for me) has a less chance of missing, I can always finish him off once he’s down and he really pissed me off!..
Justa sayin’

(NO, I AM NOT BLOOD THIRSTY! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:well, maybe a little :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:who said that? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

What I have read is great advice. Here’s my opinion, I would invest in a I-Target system, they are inexpensive and it comes with a laser bullet. You can just buy a laser bullet on Amazon and put a target on the wall and practice focusing on the front sight with locking your wrists, solid combat grip and pulling the trigger straight back

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t finish, pull the trigger straight back and watch the red laser hit the target or wall and not have a wiggly line you want to see a solid dot hit the target. Then you will know you are pulling the trigger and not pulling low left.

3 Likes

Part 3​:grin::grin::grin: with the i Target system or just the laser bullet, you can practice dry firing every day, practicing at home and not spending a lot of money on ammo. Then when you hit the range you will see a big improvement.

3 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

:grinning:

2 Likes

Low and left usually indicates anticipating recoil.

I suggest that you practice with hostage targets (like this one) to break the habit.

3 Likes