Bug Out Bag That Fits AR

Alright folks. So here’s an update. I just bought myself an AR with a 16" barrel. I remembered watching a video of Kevin storing his AR in a bug out bag. I was wondering if there’s certain bags designed for that or if I just need to find a regular camping bag or something that can contain it and conceal it so you can keep it in the car/truck or in the house nearby in case you gotta scram.

2 Likes

@luke_ouellette I’m betting that you can find one or even find a model type you’re interested in and bring it to a canvas repair shop or an upholstery shop and have one made up for you.

2 Likes

Really? I didn’t know you could do that but that makes sense.
So what you’re saying is just let them know the model AR I’ve bought and then have them make me a bag that will accommodate the rifle and other gear?

2 Likes

@luke_ouellette. Well yes and no, the most important is length, next is compartments that you want. You’re going to give them an idea of what the finished product is and they will help you and in a few days you have the finished product. But also it’s not exactly unique so you may find something already out there you like also. Or a police supply store, Chicago PD carries their AR’s to and from the Precinct everyday. Have fun with it and explore your options Luke. Let the community know we all like to know and see you succeed.

1 Like

I would submit the best place to look is someplace that is not “Gun”. Start looking at “tools”, “equipment”, “camera” and “instruments”. It’s not hard to find a 24" or 26" long tool box or bag. There are a whole host of products not made for guns that fit guns rather nicely, assembled or disassembled, hard or soft sided. He!! even some standard “luggage” may fit your bill and they come with wheels and a pull handle :yum:

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

@luke_ouellette Hey Luke, I was checking Police Supply Stores and then I went over to Amazon.com. Amazon.com has at least a Dozen suitable cases/bags for what you are looking for. You could have your merchandise by Tuesday if you order it today. Good luck to you.

1 Like

James, I wouldn’t mind that. I just want a way to carry it in a bag without it drawing attention in the vehicle. I’m still learning the ins and outs of me new AR-15 lol. So I found out how to open it up but have yet to learn how to actually dismantle upper and lower receivers. I need to read the manual still lol
What is the specific model of your pack? I’m more than happy to use what others have found useful. And I might look into Robert’s idea too while I’m at it and weigh my options.

2 Likes

It’s the KDG Apparition Pack…It’s red and black so the colors aren’t real “discrete” but then all black and camouflage aren’t necessarily “grayman” either. It does look like a normal pack though, or maybe a racquet bag.

2 Likes

Are you trying to disguise the fact that there is a rifle in the bag? If so, a guitar bag/case, tool bag, tennis racquet bag, yoga bag, gym bag, etc. Measure your rifle height and length and get almost anything that will fit.

Be mindful that some bags may still attract unwanted attention. If you leave it visible in your car, a thief will see a guitar or tennis racquet bag as easy income. A tool bag at a construction zone is the same problem. Or your neighbor may ask how your guitar lessons are going…

I recently saw where someone was using the bag for a folding chair like they use when sitting on the sidelines of a youth soccer game.

There are lots of dedicated rifle cases that aren’t very expensive that will hold your rifle and stuff and are plain on the outside, but anyone who shoots will know what’s in it. Then you have the really tactical looking bags…

1 Like

If your concerned with having a bag made for your AR15, just get an airsoft AR15 of the same size and use for sizing a custom bag…

Airsoft players can spend a significant amount of money having custom things for their gear…

A solid carry bag from your vehicle to the games staging area can make a good excuse…

1 Like

Hey @luke_ouellette here is the bag that Kevin used in that video. There are certainly a lot of options out there similar to this as well, but here ya go!

3 Likes

Thanks Chris, very nice game day bag. Give Kevin another ‘atta boy’ for the find.

2 Likes

Do what I did, Install either a Dolos Kit or a Cry Havoc Tactical Quick Release Barrel System as well as a LAWS Folding Tactical Stock. The barrel then detaches in 3 seconds, Fold the stock over, and ANY 19" Range bag will do the job. Sure a more expensive way to go, but once you try it, you will NEVER have another AR without the setup!

2 Likes

@Harvey and @luke_ouellette My mother was raised in the Kenwood neighborhoods in Chicago in the “Roaring ‘20s” 1920’s my father was from the same community people didn’t stray from from home back in those days. My mother was down a few doors from Alphonse Al Capone family back when the Chicago mob ruled the city and most of the state. He was an young man when she was a kid. Al came to visit his Mama on Sundays for dinner like families used to do. He and his friends came nearly every Sunday they carried their Thompson machine guns in Violin Cases. So there you are Luke just about anything will work fine. My mother said many times that Mr Al gave all the kids in the neighborhood that ran to see him when he arrived on Sunday with his business associates crisp $5.00 bills which was a huge amount of money in the 1920’s. So just about anything of length will work Luke.

1 Like

@luke_ouellette Separating the upper and lower’s is a simple matter of pushing the pins out from the small side. There is one in the front and one in the back of the lower, both are retained by detent pins so they SHOULD not pull all the way out, they also may take a little effort.

Oh, you need to have the bolt forward to split the halves.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

If you want one that will carry the rifle intact, there are some that are designed like this:

comes in non-camo gray or black too.

also, some that are adaptable to either long or short rifles:

this is somewhat like the one @JamesR posted, but a bit less brightly colored:
https://shop.opticsplanet.com/eberlestock-secret-weapon-pack.html

and this one has an adjustible bottom panel that lets you extend the interior length of the bag:

if you want minimalist, and don’t need much but the rifle, there’s this:

3 Likes

and then there’s this… rapid deployment of plate carrier, with the handgun delivered to your hands in a flash, PLUS a second SBR or AR pistol on rapid delivery pull-out from the pack. This thing is AWESOME!

Devcore Guardian Pack quick-deploy ballistic body armor pack (backpack) (formerly known as the DOA (Deploy On Attack) Pack)

Ok, probably not something I need, but Seriously AWESOME!

1 Like

Well if I was just looking for a rifle case, then it wouldn’t be a problem because my AR came with a case. I was more or less looking for a bag that would allow me to store other gear in it and at the same time not have to split the receivers on my AR (preferably). I mean maybe it’s just me and my perfectionist nature and maybe some paranoia at wanting everything to be nearly action ready all the time. But the suggestions I’ve gotten on here are great so far. Do keep them coming.
I like that combo rifle bag @Zee. Thank you for those links. They’re quite helpful.

1 Like

If you’re really looking to bug-out prep @luke_ouellette, you may want to make your bug-out list first, then buy your pack. I don’t use a range back as a BOB - I am carrying a lot more things than just the firearms, and the pack has to work for that. I bought a good quality internal frame pack, and I’m adapting that for firearms, rather than trying to make a firearms pack work for everything else.

In my case, since the work-to-home walk is over 800 miles, I need pretty much an expedition kit, and, BTW, firearms. For that, I need pretty much what I’d need if I was planning a remote expedition backpacking trip… for full-on-winter weather.

Fire, water, shelter, clothing, medical, navigational, survival, cooking, food acquisition, footwear, winter gear, and self-defense. it’s a big pack, and most of it isn’t firearms.

Your needs may be different, but it’s important to really consider you BO plan carefully, then your gear, then your bag.

4 Likes

And make sure you don’t try and pack the entire house…lol (common mistake for new and old preppers alike).

3 Likes