Bug out bag

I used to give people who talked about bug out bag the side eye–never again. Even though I have a bag with a first aid kit, toilet paper and a protective shield for personal use, a bug out bag is something I thought about briefly. With this coronavirus; I now see how fast the stuff can hit the fan. Now I’m researching what items I’ll need and hopefully this time next year it will be complete WITH MASKS.

6 Likes

@Denny_Crane I sent you a link to a training document I posted, The Search Pack. Lots of info on choosing a pack, ideas on what to carry and tips on how to carry. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy. :wink:

2 Likes

I reevaluated my BOB’s contents just this month. They were great bags that I had slowly upgraded and changed the contents over the years, lots of thought went into them.

Then it occurred to me that a large majority of the stuff in the bags was not what the intent of the bags were for. We already live in the country at our BOL!

These bags need to be GHB (Get Home Bags). I ditched maybe 75% of the contents (weight)of the current bags. I repacked the bags for each car with 3 days of get home stuff.

There is a huge difference between a GHB and a BOB. Something to think about. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

And before anybody plans to “bug out” they’d best have a secure destination to go to😏. Failing that, you’d better just stay home.

8 Likes

Had the same realization as @Fizbin. Changed out a lot of stuff. 2 big lessons I’ve learned are what is the mission your gonna use the bag and it’s contents for, and every item should be able to serve multiple purposes.

3 Likes

yeah, I’m rethinking this-- I should have said shelter in place (which can supply a BoB) either way I need to do better.

2 Likes

Hi all,
I have always had a bag, yet never thought of it as a bug out. Yet after all of this stuff I realized yeah I guess I do… One of the things that I use alot in place of tp is the compressed towels, u can get them on Amazon, they come individual wrapped or in a lifesaver type container. Just add water. They say they r reusable, yet I will just take their word on that one. Also the individual pouches of emergency water and a life straw. Hope it helps! Stay healthy!

1 Like

masks have been in BOBs since foreever–remember the video from 9/11? All the dust? Safety glasses, masks, and good gloves are always a must.

2 Likes

A good BOB is always good to have, as you never know when there will be an emergency… also a good Get Home Bag.

Always have a good full tang knife with a thick blade and carry contractor large trashbags, as they can be shelter or rain ponchos.

2 Likes

A supply of drinking water and/or portable water filter is a biggie. You can get by without a lot of things, but water ain’t on the list. One of the smaller filter straws in a get home bag ig a good idea. I’ve got a creek on the farm so I can “get” water, but I sure wouldn’t want to drink it out of the stream😳

1 Like

Check out this thread, @Denny_Crane, it might give you some ideas for what to include in a BOB:

1 Like

The life straw is for use while moving, and for use if you have limited time to filter water. If you set up a shelter and start a fire, and have the means to carry water you can boil it and you can also make a filter using available material in the woods or wherever you may be including sand and gravel.
The straw is a good option to have, and carry… primarily for water on the move, or when you may not have time to filter and boil water.

3 Likes

This is what is in all of my GHB’s and a few other places. They are pricey but they sterilize viruses and such so they can’t reproduce. A couple of those little water purifier tab bottles as well, and a Nalgene water bottle or two.

2 Likes

I was only discussing the straw. They both allow you to carry it with ease, and both allow you to even use a mud puddle…if that is all you have.

Yes, Sawyer has more options, but I was not considering them and did not think the topic was dealing with some of the larger items they have. I like the Sawyer line, but was only looking at the ease in portability and something you can carry even if you do not have a BOB or get home bag,

I have several ways to clean water… filter it… plus the straw and iodine tabs…

1 Like

I just put together a bug out ammo can for my vehicle/trailer for personal hygiene and some added goodies.

Will be building others geared towards specific needs.

4 Likes

I see the Williams Shave soap and what looks like Derby blades (you can also get Wilkerson Sword and Personna … Feather if you like very sharp…

But perhaps my eyes are getting older… but I do not see the razor or brush.

Good set up though. I like it and ammo cans are always good.

1 Like

Razor is black and in with the blades, derby came with the razor, I got others in the pile. Brush and bowel coming soon.

1 Like

Same here but we still have BOBs, due mainly to the threat of forest fires,

It wasn’t but 4 months after completing the built of our dream home that a 13,000 acre fire came within 3/4 of a mile of our place. You never know when you might have to pickup and leave in a hurry, no matter where you are.

2 Likes

Is Williams Shave Soap good?

1 Like

I’ll put a bar in and try it a bit later. Liked the reviews and the price for a 3 bar pack.

2 Likes