Bug out bag

Tribal warfare…
In Central America… human sacrifice.
and yes, there were diseases that were brought here… but there were diseases here that Europeans had not had.

2 Likes

And Tobaco, don’t forget Tobaco.

2 Likes

because 95% of the ‘indians’ did not die from settlers diseases.

1 Like

@Henry4 It is generally considered bad form to hijack someones thread by going off topic.
Yes, it happened and yes, it was terrible. Anyone who has studied history knowes this.
It is in the past, no one living now had anything to do with it. Not many people believe in Generational Shame, we didn’t have anything to do with it.
As a Non-Indian I worked in a B.I.A. Tribal Detention Facility for 6 1/2 years so I have a unique insight. I got along with 90% of the inmates, the other 10% just wanted to blame anyone for their life failings but themselves and especially a White Man.
Did you know G.S. is still taught to adult Native Americans in Jail? No wonder many are not able to adjust to real life if they are living in the past three to four hundred years.
It is in the past, done and over, let the hate go.

3 Likes

@Kevin29 Don’t take the bait. It is an argument I have been in and you won’t win. Haters will hate.
Just my humble and informed opinion. :wink:

1 Like

Very much agree with the need BOB and GHB. Thanks for clarifying your intent. :+1:

3 Likes

Just a tip, as you “borrow” things out of your GHB don’t forget to audit the bag everynow and then to replace the borrowed stuff.

The other day I went to my bag to borrow a bic lighter to start a burn pile, no lighter!

@Dawn 's topic of which bag do you like, I still can’t say enough about how much I like that 511 RUSH bags!

4 Likes

And for items that expire… :slight_smile: Made that mistake once with burn cream.

3 Likes

@Kevin29

I like the soap, does not foam as quick as my last soap but that probably because someone filled my soap cup with water an dissolved my last bar which then solidified to a super soft bar easy to brush. The way I lather up is to get the brush wet and build lather since I dont need lots of it.

It has a nice lemon scent that sticks around for a little bit. I like it.

2 Likes

Thank you.
I might have to try it. I purchased some Van Der Hagen, partly because that was available and the price was not bad, but I would like to check out the Scottish Fine Soaps and Taylor of Bond Street, but the Williams seems to have a good price also and after checking some reviews, and your input, it sounds like a good choice.

Getting hard around where I am to find supplies.

1 Like

I also evaluate our BOG seasonally, for instance, come winter I make sure we have extra thermal socks and winter gear in the fall and again come Spring. I don’t need insulated socks in July etc

I’ll also swap out medicine to make sure it’s “fresh”

7 Likes
1 Like

@G.Washington Thanks for the link, seems like solid info. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve maintained a BOB for many decades now. I’ve modified my approach based on physical abilities, location, and climate. I have a number of different size packs that I might use. The only ‘pack’ I keep loaded all the time is a small 8"x5"x6" waterproof belt bag. It’s my 72 hour survival pack. It has a water ‘straw’ I can use to siphon and purify a small amount of water, metal cup, space blanket, some paracord, bullion cubes, and instant coffee, plus a few other small items. Nothing will raise your spirt more when cold, wet, hungry, than a cup of something warm. The rest of my gear sits well organized in a large stand alone cabinet. Each shelf targets need with related items. Shelf for shelter and comfort, one for foods and water, one for cooking, one for hunting/fishing/self defense, one for camp needs which is climate based, one for clothing. My packs range in size from over the shoulder slings to large. All have the ability to strap gear to them. I can pack for most anything in a max time of 30min. I practice packing whenever major storms are headed my way. I have multiple locations and planned routes. If things really hit the fan I can setup a small hidden camp, live and hunt small, and avoid contact. I can also go the other route and stay open and comfortably in my motor home. I’ll do whatever needed based on what is thrown my way.

3 Likes

I love these topics :smiley:

As mentioned above, the first step in making a BOB or GHB is defining “the mission”.

How far (distance and/or time) do you have to go to get to safety?
What terrain do you need to go through or around?
What dangers lie between you and safety (bad neighborhoods, riots, bears, etc)?
How much “stuff” can you reasonably carry?

Always go TO safety, not away FROM danger.

If you work a 10minute ride from home, what does that look like if you need to walk it? You probably don’t need a sleeping bag, tent, etc. A bottle of water and a power bar would cover most of it.

If you work an hour ride from home, that equipment list looks much different. By most estimates you can cover 20-25mi in 8hrs. So how much do you now have to bring with you in order to make it back home? Do you need to stop overnight (is it even safe to do so?).

I’ve known folks who (for example) commute across a bridge and their ride is 15-20mins. But if the bridge is out (weather or rioters) they have to go all the way around to another crossing point which adds dozens of miles to the trip. So these types of things have to be accounted for as well.

3 Likes

I noticed this thread began when Covid 19 first broke out and there were a lot of unknowns. I’m surprised today how popular BugOut bags are.

I never really thought I could contribute any item for suggestion. Then I found a most compact tool, probably not the best quality but amazed how small it is:

“Portable Stainless Steel Multi-Tool Pliers Knife Keychain Screwdriver - Perfect For Outdoor Use”
Only $1.97
size: 2" x 1.25 "

1 Like

I wonder how durable?

1 Like

temu is shipped straight from china, they are trying to outcompete amazon.
That’s why the prices are so cheap, and it may take a week for your products to reach you. :thinking:

1 Like

So with that being said Holosun is made in China, we should be able to buy them at cost! :thinking::grinning:

1 Like

That would be one of the reasons why I don’t use them. :slightly_smiling_face: