Get home bag/ emergency bag

I posted in another thread about a get home bag, how many of you have a get home bag? If so, what do you keep in it? Included is a pic of my “winter version” it has thermal underwear in it. Not pictured are my spare winter boots, gloves, jacket, and insulated bib overalls. I have a change of clothes, plus extra socks, and underwear, extra glasses, lighters, matches, my notepad trauma kit water collection and purification, cordage, knife and sharpener, ammo for all my cc pistols, some ramen, a tarp, an emergency blanket, and a machete. I live in a more rural area, so I tailored my bag for moving in woods/farm land and possibly staying the night in the woods. Any suggestions for me? 20190201_182006

4 Likes

What do you have on hand at home for actual drinking water? I realize you wouldn’t just have it sitting there in your bag, but maybe something you can grab on the way out the door. With that in mind, maybe a couple canteens to be able to put it in too.

5 Likes

I agree water is a prime resource, you can go without food much longer than water.

4 Likes

Theres a life straw in the picture. I generally keep a gallon of water in my truck during summer, and like 24 oz with me full in the truck in winter.

4 Likes

I saw that, just figured having as much water that you can grab would be good and the straw as a last resort.

3 Likes

Oh, for sure. I figure that the amount I have is good in the summer. I tried keeping a gallon in my truck in winter, but I end up forgetting about it.

3 Likes

Gotcha. I have a bunch of bottled stuff that gets used and replinished often enough, but also have three 7 gallon containers stored away that I dump and refill every 5 1/2 months.

3 Likes

Ive been trying to figure out a way to use something like a life straw, in a fashion similar to a britta water pitcher filter… anyone seen anything thats actually like it on the market??

2 Likes

https://www.brita.com/water-bottles/hard-sided-filter-water-bottle/

Something like this? Not sure it would filter creek water but I wonder of you could make one with a life straw?

3 Likes

Well shoot! Should have looked here first.

4 Likes

Rofl right!! I was thinking making it for a water bag, so you could fill multiple containers in one go… that way the inside of your containers arent contaminated with dirty water…

3 Likes

Oh… they have water bags too. Look at that huge container. You could hog the clean water and make money off the apocalypse!

4 Likes

FYI: you need more water during winter. I like the LifeStraw idea.

2 Likes

I bought the Sawyer mini filter kit, haven’t used it yet

They have bottle filters too.

3 Likes

My “10 mile walk” is 800 miles. Pounds may equal pain, but if things go so sideways that I have to walk it, a 3-day bag and some granola bars isnt gonna get it done. :wink:
If I can’t run my truck and I have to walk, I’m gonna need the full expedition kit. If I want to get home in under 3 months, I’d probably have to take @wildrose’s advice about “acquiring” a horse.

1 Like

I like your level of think-ahead-ness @Henry4 :+1:
My knees don’t do “bike” anymore, especially on rough terrain. My backside, however, will do “horse” :laughing:

Amen to that.

1 Like