Bugout Bag Dump: Survival Straw?

Do you have a safe water tool - such as a survival straw - in your bugout bag?

What’s your safe water tool of choice?

2 Likes

This is what we have in the 3-day bag - the filter is reusable - you can back-flush it to clean it - so it’s got a pretty long life time. comes with a straw or filter directly into a collapsible bag. there are various configurations of this, with more or fewer filters and bags, so you can size to your needs.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP21292-Squeeze-Filtration/dp/B07JCDRYN2/

1 Like

We have Lifestraw straws and bottles, just in case.

2 Likes

@Zee

I’m happy to see you listed Sawyer over lifestraw. Sawyers last longer and are proven to filter more contaminants.

2 Likes

As a backpacker I’ve done my research and carry a filter. Sawyer makes a superb product. My go to is the full size Sawyer Squeeze. The micro from what I know does well and doesn’t restrict the flow like that of the mini. The great thing about these filters is the high volume of gallons they will filter. Just don’t let the filter freeze because after that they are useless and need to be replaced. Another great thing about them is you can attach them to a bottle of water you get from the store. The sports cap on the smart water bottle works perfectly to back flush it so you don’t need the syringe and tube that comes with it.

2 Likes

I do but I carry wet fire also in the event the straw fails. Then I could fetch water and boil it old saying big bubbles no troubles. Meaning you boil the water very hot let cool and drink.

2 Likes

Better yet pack a knife you can safely get water out of some plants.

1 Like

That one depends a lot on where you are going to be.

What fire starters do you carry?

Water Filter- Sawyer mini water filter with xtra fill bags.

Fire Starter- GobSpark Armageddon (several of them) fero rod and a Magnesium starter rod that i shave for tinder as a starter enhance for wet or damp situations.

iv also made my own ferro and magnesium starters from their kits and bulk rods they sell.

1 Like

Water can be found in most environments. As far as the water from plants you may want to. Read up on that. I have military survival training and I forget sometimes that I’m a civilian now. Lots of stuff can provide water it can be things of all sorts. I wear a dew rag. If I’m hurt or lost and thirsty and sweating. I’ll take my dew rag off and squeeze the moisture out of it into my mouth. It wont be much but it would buy me some time.

1 Like

I’m an herbalist (it’s a hard-core hobby), and I forage :wink: I’m pretty good on what can be used for food, drink and first aid. In some environments its gonna be tough to get sufficient water out of plants to keep you out of trouble. That being said, it’s good to know what you can use in the areas you’re in. Having strategies for water acquisition and purification is pretty important if one expects they might have to do without ready access to the 32oz big gulp. :laughing:
Yep, these are the things one ponders when they work 800 miles from home. :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, I have two sawyer mini’s along with water purification tabs. As a Scout leader, I essentially “powered up” my Scout essentials pack so I have a lot of interesting gear in there (duct tape, mini hackaw, pocket rocket with gas) . One tip is making sure you rotate out stuff that has expiration dates on it (e.g. batteries, hand warmers, food, sun screen etc) and store your batteries in separate sealed packing (in case they explode).

1 Like