Boulder, CO shooting at King Soopers (grocery store)

Thank you Terrence.

My heart goes out to all of the many victims and their loved-ones, so sad. I think most of us believe in some restrictions when it comes to who can legally possess a firearm. I also believe that if someone at the scene had a carry permit and were trained, they might have been able to stop him sooner.

Lately, with reading about mass shootings, I’ve been more interested to know how the shooters obtained the guns, and if they owned a FOID or carry permit. However, no matter how hard I tried, I could rarely if ever find out that piece of information. Wish I could know.

2 Likes

This is a reasonable question. In this particular case, it appears the FBI has been aware of the shooter for some time. His family thought he was “disturbed”, and they were aware of the recent gun purchase. Nevertheless, no precautionary action took place.

3 Likes

Hold up.

“Four years without a major shooting.”

Las Vegas, 2017, 58 dead, 564 wounded.
Sutherland, 2017, 26 dead.
Parkland, 2018, 17 dead.
Sante Fe, 2018 9 dead.
Tree of Life Synagogue, 2018, 11 dead.
Thousand Oaks, 2018, 12 dead.
Viginia Beach, Dayton, El Paso???

4 Likes

Clyde Barker stole automatic weapons from a US military armory. This was when one could just walk into a store and buy firearms without background checks, etc., and felons were still “allowed” the RKBA. So, clearly, it does not really matter the method of acquisition, legal or not. Many of the high-profile murderers legally obtained their firearms, and if they did not - most criminals do not/cannot legally obtain firearms - it would not change what happened.

The media and anti-rights politicians have taken control of the narrative. It is the person, not the firearm, that is responsible. I assume most that post to these threads are firearm owners, and presumably legally “allowed” to own firearms. I seriously doubt you, or any of the rest of us, are contemplating committing a crime. If that is true, then the firearms are not forcing people to commit crimes.

Last I knew, robbery, murder, etc., were illegal, regardless of whether or not a firearm was used in the commission of the crime. We, as firearm owners, and our firearms, are not responsible for the criminal element that commits crime and illegally uses firearms in the commission of their crimes.

4 Likes

I believe the society in general is viewing mass shootings incorrectly, lumping them together. Attack by a lone wolf radical islamist, is not the same as gang initiation, and not the same as school or workplace massacre.

This story should be not about banning the assault weapons, but about FBI dropping the ball and allowing yet another attack by enemy foreign on US soil. Who will be held accountable?

4 Likes

Good point @Common1 We need to keep our facts straight. We have legitimate points on the side of A2. Don’t muddy the waters with specious arguments.

2 Likes

The current laws in the this country, and the bills that the left want, will not stop the shootings, instead of attacking law abiding citizen’s and infinging on the 2nd Amendment, focus on the gangs and the criminals, guns will always wind up in thier hands, and in the hands of people who are not suppose to have them, but this is common sense, this is what politicians and people need to understand, you will never get rid of guns in this country, prove me wrong, (if you do, I will be the first one to apologize},

3 Likes

7 Likes

6 Likes

The bottom line is we need to eliminate “Gun Free Zones”. Somebody shooting back is the quickest way to stop and/or prevent most of the “mass shootings”.

8 Likes

Appreciate it. Your post resonated with me. This one stood out and made me wonder if “firearms prohibited” zones, are zones I might also want to avoid, for this very reason. No one there would be CCW or able to use lethal force to “protect”, nor would I be allowed to.

5 Likes

Watching coverage on TV, it 'pears to me like 1 police man went in the store, and about 50 polices were outside in the parking lot. There was a man standing by the door telling that there was a man shooting and killing people inside, but the police weren’t going in.
I know that this can’t be the whole story, and I have zero knowledge about police tactics, but has anyone else noticed this?

6 Likes

Great post

1 Like

His family also said he was playing with a firearm just days before the shooting. He told them a bullet was stuck.

They took the firearm away but either gave it back or he took it back.

Either way, dude had mental issues and system failed.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family all new comers and first time posters. God bless y’all and glad to have y’all.

This is consistent with tactics observed in Parkland massacre. With the exception that 1 officer in Boulder went into the store to confront the monster, and no officers in Parkland went in to help the children.

3 Likes

Obviously anyone who in the 21st century follows a radical, medieval, homicidal and genocidal system of belief has mental issues.
Let’s point to the specific part of the “system” that failed. FBI failed to arrest him in time.

4 Likes

Alexander I have not read anything about the FBI knowing anything about this guy before the shootings. I am not saying it does not exist, onlt that I have not seen it.

What I have read through multiple accounts though, clearly show a mentally disturbed person. He is 21 and as far back as high school he would tell others around him people were laughing at him, staring at him, etc. He would point the people out but no one would be where he was pointing. His family acknowledged that as well. That is why I said dude was mentally ill.

Edited for grammar

2 Likes
3 Likes

I will let you do your own research on this guy being watched by LE.

What is mental illness? He was not in a condition to be committed. Something was going on, which made his mind fertile soil for vengeful ideology. On the other hand, his family needs to protect him legally, you bet they are going to say he was cuckoo. Check out the article @Jack2 posted - you’ll find two other deranged people. Are they medically ill though.

2 Likes