Best CLP? Hoppe’s 9 vs Break Free CLP, Slip 2000, Ballistol, Frog Lube, Extreme Force, Clenzoil

I say the “ect” is the best!

Simple Green is a green cleaner.

1 Like

I absolutely don’t consider one set of tests to settle an issue. But how many ppl on the internet would sit through a repetitive video?

1 Like

It is, what it is information. I don’t have a dog in the fight. :innocent: :innocent:

1 Like

seeee how ya are… (joke) I have to agree hard to find good stuff for firearms lub n clean anymore…

so many make claims n such…

1 Like

Has anyone tried these for firearms, or their other products for other uses?

1 Like

well I suppose ya could just pee on it ??? :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

1 Like

Recently, I have been using a CLP made by Lucas Oil. So far, it seems to work very well. It leaves a nice sheen on the steel. The gun oil I bought with it also seems to do a good job. I had been using the Break Free products prior to getting the Lucas products.

1 Like

I’m a solvent and oil (grease when called for) guy.
I can’t relate :unamused:

1 Like

I use CLP…Tried Frog lube but wasnt a fan. But there are shooters who use Transmission fluid.

2 Likes

I tried frog lube and it literally made my rifle inoperable. I read the “oh that’s just internet legend” about using it, not cleaning the gun, then getting the gun cold, and it locking up. Sure enough, I shot lubed it up all nice and warm and smell-good, shot a couple hundred rounds, let it sit for a couple months, took it outside when it was below freezing and let it sit awhile at the table, then went to shoot it…failed to fire on every round with every magazine.

Sometimes the things you read on the internet are correct.

Slip 2000, Lucas Extreme Duty, Breakfree CLIP, etc, would have never done this (evidenced by doing the same with other firearms regularly with all the other petrol based lubes and never having a problem)

IME froglube is great under ideal conditions.

4 Likes

I couldnt get my head around sticky lube? Seems like a contradiction. Too much prep needed to use it correctly. CLP or even Syn motor oil would be easy to use and clean afterwards.

2 Likes

Frog lube🙄. My son converted a rock solid reliable M1Garand to a club with that crap. Weapon was cleaned, sat in the safe for two months and when it was taken out the bolt Would Not Open. He, literally had to Kick the bolt open (and he’s a tiny little 6’4” 220 lb retired US Marine😳. I’ve had tons of fun teasing him about his high tech lube😏. Suffice it to say he no longer uses the new “high tech” lubes.

3 Likes

I’m happy with Lucas CLP. My Sigs work just as well with any of them. The manufacturers don’t specify a brand, just clean and lube appropriately and you’ll be fine.

3 Likes

I like Wilson Combat’s lubricants and bore cleaner. I clean my EDC every week after the range. (Because I enjoy it.)

Best patches I have found are Kleenbore. Others leave residue/threads, or resist absorption.

3 Likes

I must be really old. I still use Hoppes because it’s what I used 45 years ago when I started shooting, and my granddad used it, along with my gun collecting friends as I got older. All their guns lasted all their lives, and so far, so have all of mine. One thing I like about the shooting hobby, its basically the same today as it was before technology took over the world. Guns when my grandfater was young were just as effective and reliable as they are today. More wood and less plastic, but otherwise, pretty much the same. So, I’m good with the old stuff.

5 Likes

I also value Hoppe’s. They came with different product lines and Classic No 9 is not the best anymore.
I like Hoppe’s Elite Cleaner and Black Lubricant, especially working with tight fit 1911s and 2011s.

3 Likes

Another fan of Hoppe’s #9😊. Dad taught me to shoot 65 years ago. The guns were always cleaned with Hoppe’s using old patches from worn out tee shirts and lubed with 3 in 1 oil. Never, ever, had a problem with rust or corrosion and Dad’s guns are still with me and my retired Marine son and still work like they did back then…

5 Likes

I clean with hoopes and lubricate with rem oil because I was given some for free but use synthetic motor oil otherwise. Key is not to overthink it.

This is true. Modern firearms have been more or less the same, generally speaking, for a long time.

They are a very mature technology/product, and are virtually the definition of a durable good. Plus ammo has a ridiculously long shelf life.

This is one of the things I greatly enjoy about being into firearms beyond just the bare bones practical basic. Clean/lube/protect them at all, store them inside, good for generations and still relevant. So simple and easy

1 Like