Benefits of 5 O’clock?

I watched a video of Dom Rasos explaining how 5 ocklock carry has the advantage of someone not being able to quickly check you if you have a gun. (Saw this on WPSN)

This is not particularly real concern to me, but I thought it was interesting.

He also emphasizes a combative draw where the non dominant elbow becomes a barrier of separation during a draw stroke.

16 Likes

@Scoutbob an excellent video But I’m not as young as I used to be and not in the shape I used to be in. I definitely like the technique he’s using. When I do carry OWB it’s at 4 o’clock and easier for me to reach.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m in that kind of shape (in my dreams). Used to be anyhow. But this technique doesn’t require you to be in that good of shape.

3 Likes

I like how he uses his arm/elbow to make distance and as defense and the fact that he says it’s a great option, but not the only option.

I’m with you on that!

6 Likes

While there are advantages to this carry–sitting/driving comfort and ease of draw when doing so aren’t on the list.
I’ve also had some students with shoulder impairment that made this impractical.
I think you can use the elbow barrier with most of the carries.
I am of the opinion that there is no 1 perfect carry position. I think it depends on what you’re doing, what you’re carrying, what you’re wearing.
Summer time–shorts/t shirt-- pocket carry, appendix, 5.11 fanny pack (rare)
Suit–pocket or compact 4/5 oclock IWB or ankle
Casual (jeans/tshirt/sweatshirt)–IWB, appendix, OWB
Driving (long trips)–only time I would think about a shoulder holster.
I think all of them need to focus on making sure you don’t print.

4 Likes

In the video it looks like 4 O’clock to me.

8 Likes

I agree, he calls it 5 o’clock though, so that’s what went with.

3 Likes

I agree, my issue is I like the idea of consistency, meaning I like to know the gun is in the same place every draw, BUT there are scenarios where different placement works better for me :man_shrugging:t2:.

2 Likes

I like this too, plus naturally your elbow is in that place if you’re reaching that far back during the draw. My only concern is does that slow it down?

2 Likes

@ 1:17 looks like 3:30 to me. It all boils down to best position to retrieve your gun with the greatest of ease and still be concealed with no imprinting. I can not reach to 6 o’clock so, I am not going to place my gun at 6. My body shape controls the placement, as well as, my abilities.

8 Likes

Interesting in that is my standard carry position. I have not used the arm block in my draw, but will incorporate it. We all have different reasons for carrying in the position we do, there is no one size fits all. However, this video has a lot of information that can be used (such as the elbow block) even if you are an appendix carry.

3 Likes

I would think in most situations that an assailant is close enough for the elbow block to land that you would be better off using both hands to fend them off and gain enough distance/time to draw. If your elbow does not connect effectively the opponent will be all over you and have both their hands free to go for your gun and/or vital body parts.

3 Likes

If I’m in a position where I have to use a combat draw, I’ll need both elbows, both knees, and my head.
Good video, I agree that the combat draw, no matter what shape you’re in, will accomplish the goal of survival!
However as they have taught us here over and over, avoid the area where you are most likely in need of a combat draw! Just sayin!

5 Likes

Honestly, if we are that close. I am going to be using these to get you off me.

8 Likes

If you’re at bad breath distance leave the gun in the holster and use all your body parts to break contact and make distance.

Don’t punch the face with your hands it will break fingers, punch them in the throat or stick your fingers in their eyes. Crotch hits hurt men, women and people that are not sure. Knee caps dislocate when you stomp on them as do foot arches. Unfortunately these are not things you can practice very often unless you have a fight manikin. They are intended to disable and destroy and do so effectively.

If you do not have 3 -5 basic simple techniques already in your head for an in your face confrontation you will not have time to think of one.

Cheers,

Craig6

9 Likes

That’s a big category!

6 Likes

True, I always see these demonstrated on a still manakin and we all know a manakin is different then a real moving person.

The other statement is true. Reminds me of Clint Smith, a fight is not the time to learn something new.

5 Likes

:point_up_2:That’s a fact!

Open palm strike to the ears and a strike to the nose both create confusion by temporarily taking away sense of hearing and sight respectively to provide time for separation. Side of the foot down the shin doesn’t feel too good either. Side load on the knee is beyond brutal.

5 Likes

I’m not the biggest, fastest and healthiest fella around. Regardless how I carry, I like the idea of “discreet draw.” First time I heard the term but that’s what I have in mind when practicing.

4 Likes

My shoulder takes the day off after 3 o’clock.

6 Likes