Basic Carry Laws: Texas | State Gun Laws | USCCA

Carrying a firearm for self-defense comes with a lot of responsibility. Knowing the laws where you carry is just one important task armed Americans must undertake. To help with that, we will be providing you with a summary of basic carry laws for several states. Learn about the most important things to know when carrying in Texas below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/basic-carry-laws-texas/
3 Likes

Are you from Texas? Do you see a lot of people open carrying? Which is your preference - open or concealed carry?

Yes. I am a resident of Houston, TX for the past 9 years. I have my Texas LTC and am a licensed Texas LTC instructor. This is a pretty good summary but houses of worship were never restricted for carry here in Texas. There was, however, confusion brought on by how the laws were written and interpreted. Those laws have now been clarified and places of worship are places where we MAY legally carry unless the church/house of worship posts otherwise. I love USCCA. Thanks for all that you do for us!

2 Likes

I rarely see anybody carrying open although I imagine that it occurs more frequently out in rural areas of Texas than here in the big city of Houston where I live. I always carry concealed wherever legal. I figure that carrying open is just an invitation to be the first target of any bad guy with whom I might have contact.

4 Likes

Dawn, I live in the DFW area and have had a similar experience. Since the open carry law passed, I have only noticed two individuals carrying openly. Rarely do I go a week without spotting at least one other person carrying concealed however. Maybe we Texans are more humble or quiet than we are given credit for. We like to be prepared but there is no need to be ostentatious about it. Greg

2 Likes

Dawn, I also live in the DFW area and I have only seen one open carry since it become legal.

1 Like

My dad lives in the DFW area and was going to open carry when it became law a couple of years ago. We had a long talk about why he was going to do it - he wanted to exercise his right. I said I got that, but no offense, he’s not a spring chicken. He did it once to say he’s done it and went back to concealed carrying. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see relatively few people open carry. I live in a suburb north of Dallas. I rarely open carry but do so upon request. That is, I know the owners, managers, and employees of the majority of the businesses I frequent and they actually request that I open carry. They say it makes the place safer. And, the benefit to me is usually getting free stuff. Not kidding here… just a nod and away I go. This has more than paid for the cost of the LTC. I love Texas

2 Likes

Nope. I live in the rural Hill Country, and have never seen anyone open carry, except on their own property, where it has always been legal.

1 Like

I live near Mansfield/Kennedale Texas, am a member, and I have only spotted 2 open carry. One was a very bold youngster, and the other must have been really proud of the weapon. It was a nice 45 1911. Me, I keep mine as out of sight as possible. I don’t advertise.

2 Likes

@Kenneth91 Welcome to the community.
I open carry at particular business that actually prefer customers with a LTC open carry. And… sometimes I get discounts or free stuff. At my favorite Quik Trip they all know me and when I open carry I get free Slurpees and occasionally free pizza. If I don’t open carry they actually ask me why not. Lol.
95% of the time I conceal. And like you, I rarely see an open carry here. When I open carry I use a “real” gun belt and have a Safariland Duty retention holster. I would never open carry without these
I won’t lie, when I open carry I walk a little taller and notice people smile and show more respect. I even gets smiles and nods from law enforcement officers.

1 Like