Basic Carry Laws: Texas | State Gun Laws | USCCA

Carrying a firearm for self-defense comes with a lot of responsibility. Knowing the laws where you carry is just one important task armed Americans must undertake. To help with that, we will be providing you with a summary of basic carry laws for several states. Learn about the most important things to know when carrying in Texas below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/basic-carry-laws-texas/
2 Likes

Are you from Texas? Do you see a lot of people open carrying? Which is your preference - open or concealed carry?

Yes. I am a resident of Houston, TX for the past 9 years. I have my Texas LTC and am a licensed Texas LTC instructor. This is a pretty good summary but houses of worship were never restricted for carry here in Texas. There was, however, confusion brought on by how the laws were written and interpreted. Those laws have now been clarified and places of worship are places where we MAY legally carry unless the church/house of worship posts otherwise. I love USCCA. Thanks for all that you do for us!

1 Like

I rarely see anybody carrying open although I imagine that it occurs more frequently out in rural areas of Texas than here in the big city of Houston where I live. I always carry concealed wherever legal. I figure that carrying open is just an invitation to be the first target of any bad guy with whom I might have contact.

1 Like

Dawn, I live in the DFW area and have had a similar experience. Since the open carry law passed, I have only noticed two individuals carrying openly. Rarely do I go a week without spotting at least one other person carrying concealed however. Maybe we Texans are more humble or quiet than we are given credit for. We like to be prepared but there is no need to be ostentatious about it. Greg