When to open carry?

When, if ever, would you consider open carrying?

This is legal in my state. Im brInging this up mainly because I want a new shell for my new carry gun (shape shift alien gear) and it’s $33 for a shell or about $45 for an OWB holster with a shell, so I’m getting another option plus what I really want. This purchase just made me want to bring up the conversation. I do think concealed carry is more effective.

3 Likes

Usually just when on private property like a hunting camp or working outside. Sometimes I conceal, other times I just don’t care. :smiley:

6 Likes

I prefer concealed.
I use my OWB holster in classes whenever it’s more convenient for particular task.

Funny is that I always thought, open carry is cool and easier to handle the firearm. But is not. I figured it out after few holstering classes.

4 Likes

I use an OWB holster in the winter mainly due extra layers of clothing.

3 Likes

At the range or sometimes when working outside on private property. Otherwise prefer IWB. Like the Shapeshift holsters best as well.

2 Likes

I open carry when I want to look like a badass gun toting conservative patriot. All my open carry holsters are Safariland duty retention.

4 Likes

When going over the river and through the woods on my own land.

3 Likes

I live in a open carry state cc is extremely difficult to obtain - if I had a cc I would choose cc over open carry in a second

3 Likes

Very few, select times I will open carry outside of home, OWB is how I usually carry when I carry concealed

2 Likes

So I only open carry at church in very specific roles. However I carry mostly OWB, I have a carry permit and I carry concealed however since open carry is legal I don’t ever worry about anything showing. So I enjoy the comfort of OWB carry along with maintaining a element of surprise with it being concealed.

Side note: when I do open carry the holster has a retention system on it. It would be extremely difficult to come from behind and unholster if you were not very familiar with the holster.

5 Likes

I have only open carried while hunting. I prefer CC. Society seems more polite when nobody knows who is armed.

3 Likes

So, does that explain the impolite public in states and cities where guns are outlawed?

1 Like

I think what explains that is that a-holes tend to congregate together. And ban anything they’re personally not supportive of. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back before Colorado became a Must Issue state I used to periodically Open Carry, sometimes just to make a point, but I didn’t try to push it into “Disturbing the Peace” category by doing it in cities (and now it is illegal in Denver). So when hiking in Pike National Forest, when in mountain towns, etc. No one would bat an eyelash. Now I prefer concealed carry even in circumstances where open carry would be just fine. I might still open carry when out on a hike on a hot summer day.

2 Likes

When I open carry I NEVER wear “tacti-cool” clothes, not even my 2A tshirts. I always wear my normal street clothes. I think this is why people aren’t afraid to smile, talk, or be near me. It’s all about presentation.
Me today…

4 Likes

On step dad’s farm and at a range that allows training from a holster

1 Like

I have once or twice, briefly, but prefer concealed. I stood behind a person open carrying in a local store once and everyone was looking at him, while not one person looked at me.

2 Likes

A little story…a week or so ago, we were in Cody, WY, (Cody has lots of open carry folks) and one of our favorite places and gorgeous scenery, mountains, etc. In fact we camped in a forest service campground. In that type of scenario, I open carry. In fact some of the other, white haired, local area, folks, stopped by and we enjoyed constitutional subjects and firearms. Some of the out of state campers, ignored my morning “hellos” on my walk. For one thing, too many wolves, in the forest, and they are brave.

3 Likes

As long as it is legal, as it is in my state, carry whenever you want.

I carry open on occasion, or perhaps with a shirt thrown over as a jacket to cover slightly… but if I am out doing work and need to run to the store, I open carry. I do not conceal and change holsters just to go to the store. If I have to go to town, I may conceal, but again, depends on where I am going and how long I will be there.

There are times open carry has benefits, and other times concealed has benefits.

As long as you are not bothered or nervous about open carry, do it.

Alien Gear is great… I do need to return a shell for a new one. Got a shell for a gun and bought a different one than I planned on.

1 Like

I have seen people open carry in stores, and most do not even notice. I might be one of the few to notice, but I look for such things.

1 Like