Are you worried while carrying a firearm?

The way I go about life doesn’t change when I carry aside from having to avoid the places where it isn’t allowed. Carrying just gives me one final safety net if my awareness, avoidance, deterance and deescalation skills fail to solve the problem.

It’s the times that I can’t carry due to all the gun free States, zones and activities that I worry. I would hate to watch someone I care about come to harm because I wasn’t able to carry the tool I needed to save them.

9 Likes

That is not what was meant. Hell, I wasn’t even being sarcastic.

1 Like

Are my boxers hanging below my shorts?

5 Likes

Interesting. For me, it does create worry if ever having to use, but maybe that’s a good thing.; Telling us, we are good, not wanting to harm. and wise in that we too don’t want to suffer consequences/legal-financial repercussions. A last resort. Avoid, non-lethal, then last resort if life/limb in danger. It’s a major responsibility.

It’s unique to us.

But also have a feeling of warmth, comfort.

5 Likes

I don’t worry about carrying when I go out I’m always watching and avoiding certain areas and if I notice that someone just keeps staring at me or something I had that happen at Walmart the other day I just get on the phone call my wife or something and walk the other way.

4 Likes

I guess worried might be a relative term. Worry is something I feel like I do when maybe someone I know is sick,Or having other troubles. I think may be I would classify it as concerned. I don’t live in a tough area but stuff does happen, Although nothing like the Big Cities. If I lived in a high crime area and had to deal with such things just to get get a jug of milk that attitude could possibly change. But I don’t think I worry with a problem,It just turns to a focus on how to deal with it. Training,Awareness :us:

5 Likes

As @Todd30 mentioned in his post. My concern is having to use the gun. In the neighborhood you live in you may not have a choice but to carry at all times. Another bad thing is that even if they noticed your EDC they may not care whether you’re carrying or not and challenge you. I grew up in a bad neighborhood and when I became a law-enforcement officer I knew I had to leave as soon as possible. I would definitely try to avoid that situation with the homeless and drug dealers. It’s possible one of them could be carrying a gun. I live in a place that is pretty much safe and don’t have to worry as much but it doesn’t change my situational awareness level.

7 Likes

Great question! Sometimes I worry about my being on a state list. Like, if a state trooper or Local cop pulls up behind me at a light, I know I’m not doing anything wrong or illegal but I also know that cop can see from my plate info, if ran, that I carry. Where most police, especially staties, seem to appreciate legal 2A expression, that could change it seems at any moment making me a target to make an example of. So far my only real experience involving police was a fender bender. I gave the state trooper my ID and license to carry when he asked for my info and it was a non-issue. Me and the other gentleman where outside the car already chatting about it but everything went smooth. Let’s hope that never changes!

7 Likes

Hi. What’s “being on a state list” mean? Thanks. Please forgive my newness to the lingo.

Yes, an interesting subject posting, hard for me to explain why; unique food for thought.

4 Likes

In my state, once you’ve been approved for your license to conceal your picture and info are sent to a state police data base. I’m sure State police see that in your bio when they run your tags and I’m almost certain local cops also have access to that info. I’d like to repeat that every cop I’ve ever talked to about this has been pro 2A. They seem to know that having legally armed citizens prevents a whole lot more crime then we realize without ever firing a shot.

6 Likes

This is a very interesting post. I am a “late arrival” to the EDC lifestyle. I didn’t apply for my CWP until I was 49 years old. It’s not that I wasn’t around firearms ( I served in the military for 20 years), but I just didn’t feel like I needed to carry a firearm daily. That changed for me with all of the craziness of 2020. It’s not like threats were not there before that, but I guess my perspective changed.
So now, carrying concealed makes me feel less worried. As a relatively new member of the CCW community, I do feel a bit awkward or self conscious when carrying sometimes, and I’m still figuring out the details regarding gear, and doing my best to train and be prepared. Although I hope and pray that I never have to use my weapon in self defense, I do feel better that I have it just in case.

9 Likes

I worry about forgetting my wallet, EDC goes on first.
Good looks won’t buy diesel or food.:wink:

4 Likes

I think of it like this. My permit is issued by the State of Utah so I’m sure they have “State List” of permit holders. I also “Think” in Utah my permit is tied to my UT drivers license, since DL number is one of the lines that has to be filled out on the permit application. So all of that said, to me, “State List” means a list administered by the State of Utah.

5 Likes

Ok, thanks. I see now. My state probably has one too.

2 Likes

Being good with the Father in Heaven. Also, being prepared mentally to stay in a calm state at all times so I can make rational and instinctual decision correctly with zero mistakes.

7 Likes

Another dead fish after the 1st day - WHY WAS THIS GROUP FOUNDED?

1 Like

So you could create a butt load of threads?

2 Likes

The reciprocity map should show the situation in whatever state you are licensed.
Scroll down to the Key State Laws section. Examples:

DRIVER’S LICENSE LINKED TO CARRY LICENSE?

Is my Oklahoma driver’s license linked to my Oklahoma carry license?
No. Your Oklahoma driver’s license is not linked to your Oklahoma Self-Defense Act license. Therefore, a law enforcement officer (LEO) will not be notified that you are a concealed carry license holder immediately when they run your driver’s license. However, LEOs may have access to other databases where they can obtain this information.

DRIVER’S LICENSE LINKED TO CARRY LICENSE?

Is my Oregon driver’s license linked to my Oregon carry license?
Yes. Your Oregon driver’s license is linked to your Oregon concealed handgun license. Therefore, a law enforcement officer will be notified immediately that you are a concealed carry license holder if they run your driver’s license.

p.s. I meant to mention that before making contact at a traffic stop officers will often run the registered owner of a vehicle as well as the plate. In a linked state they will often know before they see your DL. If it’s your vehicle. In a borrowed vehicle, they could greet you with misconceptions if the RO has a CCL (or an arrest warrant). Rule of Thumb — Don’t be a jerk; especially with jerky cops.

6 Likes

I’m a dedicated curmudgeon - so shall it was written, so shall it was done. Sometimes this forum takes on the appearance of a “nervous Nellie” with a “fortress mentality”. I say be assertive in your daily life, activities, and behavior - worry is a distraction, and can lead to becoming a victim if you can’t or won’t at least use your head.

5 Likes

Thanks! Well, I’ll be darned. I must have missed that part of the chart, or maybe the USCCA added it on there as a new feature. Kudos to them for adding it on there.

I get a lot of flack here for this, but it’s another reason I like licensure and certifications, with the theory, when we are, it demonstrates just how high level of a law abiding citizen and responsible owner we are. Just my two cents.

I didn’t realize police can tell we are CCL CCW Licensed just by running our vehicles license plates. Wow. If they would not first have to see our actual Driver’s License; that’s easy/fast.

Once I went to sell some un-needed ammo to the police, the way they were set up was in phases. The first phase was I go to their drive thru station, and while still in my car, they asked I hand them the ammo. I was very careful, and asked them if it was ok I reach on my right lower pocket, as that was where I had it, and the officer said yes, I never moved so slow and smiled so much. They were actually really friendly.

Even non CCL CCW license holders, everyone should always be calm, move slow, ask for permission before one makes any moves - if ever stopped by police while in one’s car. Common sense I learned as a child. I don’t mind. If I were LEO, I’d want that slow coolness as well. No love lost.

2 Likes