Appendix Carry Strikerfire?

The secret is, don’t pull the trigger until the pistol is aimed at what you want to shoot.

4 Likes

The holster could double as crotch armor in a fight :joy::rofl:

5 Likes

@Scoutbob
You just gave me an idea.
Kevlar underwear. Maybe include a bulletproof cup.

3 Likes

I found it. It’s already available. :rofl:

8 Likes

Protects everything except your femoral artery.

2 Likes

Don’t need no stink’n femoral artery.
:pirate_flag:

4 Likes

Brains! Brains!

Actually, I think I would like that, just because I want to armor everything I possibly can. If Galac Tac made a ballistic helmet, I’d get it to protect my face.

1 Like

I’d anyone has the audacity to ask for my pronouns, I will demand they use none.

1 Like

I only know (personally) 3 people who have shot themselves:

1. A very sensible woman (mom of 2, school teacher, Army officer’s wife) who carried a Glock in her purse with a round in the chamber. Shot herself in the femoral artery and almost died.

2. A former Army SF guy with several Purple Hearts and couple Bronze Stars who was stoned on Dilaudid prescribed by the VA when he found a pistol sitting on the porch of the mobile home he was renting (near the VA hospital). He picked it up to clear it and shot himself through the lower leg and foot.

3. A state-licensed civilian firearms instructor and reserve sheriff’s deputy who carried a Glock AIWB. Burned his junk and blew his knee cap off.

So I try not to do any of those 3 things while carrying loaded firearms. That’s just how I roll.

2 Likes

Oh gosh :grimacing::grimacing:, was it an article of clothing in the trigger guard?

I fear for some of these firearm instructors on the internet who throw their gun in their appendix holster really fast.

2 Likes

Nobody ever could determine the cause of the ND. I’ll probably draw fire for this, but there is a small body of ND incident reports involving striker-fired pistols with no apparent cause. A fair number of experts believe these to be a combination of malfunctions and unobserved operator error, because some of the folks swear on their mothers’ graves that they didn’t touch the trigger, nothing got snagged, etc. Almost all of them were reholstering in IWB holsters when it happened, but a few were clearing their firearms.

I do know that every machine ever made malfunctions now and then…sooner or later. I do know that parts wear out…sooner or later. I also know that folks make mistakes and sometimes do not remember their actions right before and during and sometimes for a bit after traumatic events.

Same with the woman who carried in her purse (in a holster) with a round in the chamber. Nobody has a clue how that pistol went off when she sat it down on her leg in the car to grab something for one of her kids in the back seat.

1 Like

All administrative handling incidents.

The purse I will dismiss because It could literally be anything.

I think new gun owners should learn how to function check their striker block every cleaning. I’ve read people who’ve discovered their firing pin entering the breach with the striker block in place.

1 Like

I do have a further critique of the hammer vs striker AIWB.

I agree the DA/SA offers the safety advantage of the longer trigger pull. BUT the ham American being pressed, though initially is helpful, is not effective if their is still cloth in the trigger guard. If any gun is placed in a holster with an obstruction and then you the person bends, kneels, sits, if the pull has enough pressure you have a problem…

The only safe option is to ensure the gun is holstered in a clear/ quality built holster.

That’s because NO ONE that has ever had an ND is willing to admit they screwed up. There is no way a Glock will fire without something pressing the trigger. It’s mechanically impossible. It’s like a car starting itself without human intervention. If we look the gun into a quality holster that protects the trigger guard you have a better chance of winning Lotto Mega Millions than bowing your junk off. :grin:

7 Likes

@Enzo_T I don’t disagree with your basic point about people tending to want to blame the equipment instead of taking responsibility for an ND. My original post, while totally true, was meant to make a general point while being funny. I keep forgetting that a sense of humor is not allowed here…especially in relationship to a Glock. :wink: Actual firearm malfunctions are rare. Most are really operator error or caused by ammunition. I know quite a few serious gun guys who carry appendix. I only know 1 who shot himself. There. Now all the Tactical Timmy’s can take a breath. SMH

4 Likes

Many people say that a hammer fired gun is safer than a striker because you can hold the hammer down. I definitely see an advantage there, BUT what if you forget to decock? Then you go for the holster with a 3ib trigger pull.

Then Even if you do have the hammer, if there’s a piece of shirt in there you didn’t see, and you change position, the gun could go off.

It seems to me that the only real %100 guarantee safe is to slowly holster and or, remove holster and then place gun in it.

The best safety mechanism for holstering would probably be a Manuel safety, but again, you could easily forget to put the safety on under stress. (Though at least this doesn’t effect trigger weight).

I would argue that a plain old striker fire gun is probably the best appendix option.

1 Like

In any re-holstering, one should avoid attempting to perform it like a hollywood cowboy. No twirling around on your finger and slamming it into the pocket. 9 times out of 10 the threat has been mitigated and re-holstering should be performed with the same diligence applied to drawing.

1 Like

@Scoutbob
You raise an excellent question. What if I forget to load rounds in my magazine and one in the chamber?

Well, I can talk more about this later. I have a birthday to go to today.

2 Likes

You’re such a troll…

3 Likes

Troll?!!!
Troll?!!!
I resemble that remark, son.

4 Likes