Appendix Carry Questions

You weren’t critical at all. Thanks and take care.

I am very new to concealed carry and I find that for me inside the waistband appendix carry works good but is it safe 4 the Springfield Hellcat I would like some advice,

1 Like

AIWB is safe for any pistol, as long as you follow safety procedures during rehostering:

1. keep your finger off the trigger and triggerguard
  2. look down at the hoster and make sure it is clear from any obstructions
  3. push your hips forward so you won’t muzzle yourself
  4. slowly slide the pistol into the hoster.

Once done properly it will never create any unsafe situations.

2 Likes

I understand thank you I think I’m deciding to carry left side inside the waistband as opposed to appendix carry sitting down and having a pointed at my junk! Which carry method would personally be the best!

1 Like

Safety rules apply to any hoster carrying method (maybe except pushing hips forward - this is for appendix carry only).
Each of us find the best carrying way. I personally prefer appendix. Pointing into my junk isn’t a problem. Handgun is not designed to shoot by itself. :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you so much later this week I will decide on which carry method on my left side or appendix is appropriate I personally find appendix to be much more comfortable thank you so much

2 Likes

You are welcome.
You may eventually find that both methods work for you.
I also carry OWB strong side if my garment allows me to do this with full concealment.

1 Like

I use the Vanguard 2 by Raven Concealment to appendix carry. It takes a little getting use to but comfortable.

1 Like

When I was young and dumb ( old and dumb now ) I always AIWB without a holster and still have my junk, so I do believe appendix carry is safe if you continue to practice gun safety.

2 Likes

@Lu-Can , I think you should be the next face of 5.11 :joy:
or… perhaps not face… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Two things here…Massad Ayoob has a video on the different carry positions. For single handed AIWB it varies slightly depending on if your cover garment is tucked in or not.

2nd…racking the slide with one hand is something we all need to practice. You can practice that with snap caps. How easy that is will depend on the gun and the type of rear sight. A solid iron sight with peonounced ledge is ideal. If you have an optic on your gun, it may prevent you from racking one handed without potentially damaging the optic.

1 Like

Having optic on the handgun is the ideal situation for one hand racking.
You have way more surface used to hook up and racking is possible even without hard surface needed for iron sights.
If you rack with optics on your knee or thigh there’s zero chance for breaking the optics.

2 Likes

Great point. Wasn’t thinking about optics being racked on your body. I was thinking a hard surface like a table, door frame, etc.

I think we can both agree…no matter how your gun is setup you need to practice shooting 1 handed, off handed, racking 1 handed, racking off handed, tap rack and roll same way.

Thanks for the tip.

Stay safe.

2 Likes

That’s why we are here, sharing our thoughts and experience. :+1:

3 Likes

The numbness you experience is a recognized medical condition, first identified in police detectives who carried their concealed duty weapon on their hip (3 o’clock or thereabouts), resulting in numbness down their leg. For those who carried this way over a long period of time, the condition sometimes became permanent. The cure: carry 3" to 4" in either direction and the numbness goes away. Sorry, but I do not remember the medical term.

1 Like

Larry I believe it’s a type of sciatica. I could be wrong.

1 Like

Recently switched to an OWB Holster from an IWB Holster, now my preferred Manner of carry for the time being. Easily covered by an untucked shirt or jacket. Great to carry all day. It is hip carry, never liked apendix carry except with small handguns, and even then uncomfortable for getting in and out of cars.

1 Like

It is. It does have its own name, however.

1 Like

I had the same thing happen. Went OWB to solve the issue. Wouldn’t go any other way now.
Can’t recommend AIWB, seems dumb to me.

See

How To Safely Holster And Unholster Appendix Carry | Active Self Protection Extra

2 Likes