Another teotwaki hypothetical

Moving away from politics for the moment. Was curious in that if it’s the end of the world, I don’t mean like nuclear Holocaust or Mad Max. I mean all economies have gone to 0, governments have all crumbled, and supply chain is no more. Local governments are rebuilding but it’s probably going to be a while and the only thing with any value are tradable goods. You can carry a side arm and 1 long gun. You have all the other gear you need i.e. a nice supplied pack, map and compass, survival knife, 3 days of MREs, etc. The only thing that is of question is your firearms.

What is your sidearm and what is your long gun? This is something you reasonably would be expected to carry around with you everywhere. So unless you’re comfortable lugging a 28lb Barrett all day everyday or a 20lb M249 SAW and it’s ammo than be reasonable. Wether it be a shotgun, Semi-auto, bolt for long gun and a revolver or Semi-auto sidearm. This doesn’t need to be firearms you own. I only have a handgun for the moment as the shotgun I want can’t be found in stock currently.

I would choose my m&p compact 9mm and a Remington 870 12ga w/ a 20" barrel. The 9mm is concealable for those times when you can’t have your long gun visible. And the shotgun can take pretty much anything from birds and waterfowl, deer and large game, and for personal defense. Its only drawback would be it’s lethality at long distance beyond 60yds. That’s not saying shots can’t be made passed 100yds and not saying they can’t be deadly beyond that but for me that’s the golden spot I’D be shooting at.

Just curious about what people would choose and trying to step away from political posts for the night.

6 Likes

My Sig P320 X Carry and my DDM4 V7 AR15.

4 Likes

Interesting situation. I think I would take my TP9SF and my Henry 22 rifle. The 9mm is easy to cart and conceal if need be. The Henry is light enough and I can pack lots of rounds of 22lr for hunting small game. Shot gun is a good alternate choice, the rounds get heavy though.

4 Likes

My Glock 17 and a deer-capable rifle. I’d need to research the rifle caliber, manufacturer, etc.

5 Likes

My Rugers, for sure. Security 9 as my sidearm and PC9 carbine as my long gun. The biggest advantage being that they share ammo and magazines. Keep it simple.

8 Likes

Are you talking Sunday go to meeting arms, or general purpose gotta have weapons?

AR carbine for long gun, and 9mm with at least 15 rd. capacity. And extra mags.

I don’t think concealability will be an issue at that point.

4 Likes

Side arm is a 9mm because that’s what I’m likely to find in the dead zombies magazines. I’d have to flip a coin to decide M17 or 226… no wait a 226… the one with IR.

Rifle is a 556 for the same primary reason. Dead zombies crap 556 ammo into the street. Most likely something IWI flavored.

4 Likes

Doing the same.

I would carry my M&P 15 and my S&W M&P full size chambered in .40. Not the fanciest guns, but they’re reliable, and I’ve had time shooting them.

3 Likes

I would choose my AK-47 and S.A. .45. I would add a .22 pistol in the pack for small game.

2 Likes

@Jonathan57 Welcome to the community. Only working guns on this walk. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy. :+1:

2 Likes

My Smith M&P 15 and my Sig P320-M17. Both for their proven performance, reliability, and the commonly found calibers.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and God bless you.

Well right now I don’t own a long gun but I would take 2 M&P 9mm full size pistols with 17 round magazines. As long as I have enough ammo I would feel comfortable with them by my side.

I would opt for my sidearm to be my normal carry S&W M&P 2.0 CORE 9mm and for my “long gun” I would carry my HK416 in .22.

My thought process is that the only other “long gun” that I have is a 7mm, 30-06, and 6.5 Creedmore. The .22 choice was made because of the abundance of ammunition available, and the ability to carry large quantities of it relatively easily.

My EDC choice was along the same lines, abundance of ammunition coupled with the proficiency of the weapon that I have devolved. I would not want to be practicing with a new gun during a ammo crisis.

2 Likes

As an aside… thanks for posting a non-politics topic. I have found, talking to friends, family, neighbors things seem more normal. But hang around too long on the internet and it feels like the world is ending.

To you point. It sort of depends on what the rest of society is doing. If the supply chains are down, I’m more worried about the 2-legged predators who didnt stock up on enough supplies beforehand trying to get to my supplies. Carrying concealed doesn’t seem like it would hold much value in this scenario, especially if you have a rifle/shotgun slung over your shoulder.

So I would probably run around with an AR as the primary which defends nicely against 2-legged predators at almost any distance (remember the 2-legged predators also have firearms and can engage from any distance) and it can take down pretty much any game I’m likely to encounter (mainly deer). And then I’d carry a .22lr pistol for smaller game like squirrels (so. many. squirrels.) and rabbits.

4 Likes

Sames as @Greg35, I’m choosing what I’m likely to find ammo for…9mm side arm and .223/5.56 rifle…American and SR556, both by Ruger.

3 Likes

Ammo is heavy. I might skip the long gun, go with a FiveseveN in leue of a rifle and S&W M&P Compact in 9 mm. The S&W can handle full size mags and 9 mm is very readily available. Both are concealable at all times, and the FiveseveN accurate out to 100 yards. If I am breaking the “rules” than I would use an AR Pistol (Diamondbacks are nice) for compact size and light weight, and since 5.62 and .223 ammo is readily available. End of the World TV shows and Movies always seem to have an unlimited amount of ammo, and it is always carried without effort. Same with water, water is heavy, and one may not be able to have water available, so that is always a consideration. To go really sideways on this, the M1 carbine offers alot of punch as well and is lightweight. Good question, but I think one may need much more than a 3 day supply of food and water.

4 Likes

Ar platform carbine and my steyr L9a1 the ar platform rifle is 223 wylde and the steyr is 9mm 17 rnd mag cap common caliber and easy shooting

1 Like

A pistol and carbine that use the same magazines.

5 Likes

Fiveseven and PS-90… the P-90 is unfortunately not eligible for class 3…

1 Like