Angry exchange shows gun being pulled on mom, teen

immediately, severely, unanimously :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve seen multiple versions. The woman got out of the car and racked the gun - at that point I said, oh, boy, at least brandishing charge, and it will stick, I am pretty sure.

2 Likes

So she is a “White woman”, but the other is a “Black mother”. Both had their teen daughters with them. Why are they not both mothers?

People are getting shot in their cars just for coming near crowds. The “Black mother” was clearly trying to escalate, screaming abuse, stopping the couple and their daughter from leaving. I can’t speak to the legalities of this, but the “Black mother” is not coming into this with clean hands. If I’m understanding this correctly, this kicked off over their two daughters bumping into each other.

3 Likes

Honestly, people who do that really just make me sick to my stomach, nine times out of ten they hide behind the “Oh i was just doing a social experiment and wanted to see the results”.

Ferdinand, your example reminds me of the moron going into walmart (filming himself of course) in full on tactical (chest plate, mag pouches, etc) with a AR15 strapped to his back.
or the “performance artist” here in LA, who made a bomb vest and ran through security.
Because they wanted to see what would happen.

4 Likes

In that case, I’m going to reply,

“I didn’t sign up to be the guinea pig of your social experiment.”

5 Likes

If a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem looks like a nail…not sure who owns that quote, another one is you need something between an angry word and a gun to address problems.

Mom and daughter were looking for trouble and interfering with wife and husbands egress out of a place. I think they did a decent job of attempting to avoid trouble and move on. Seems like the mother getting behind the vehicle and pounding on the car was the straw that broke. If pepper spray were available it may have been a better solution to get the mother off the back bumper and from blocking them from backing up so they could leave. Even if it were deployed, they would have been within their rights (in my State anyway).

Drawing down on the mom/daughter was definitely not optimal. But I don’t know that I would go as far as “condemning” them. Until you’ve stood in those shoes and made those calls yourself, it’s all just academic.

7 Likes

I have been in their shoes, and have made that call myself to not draw on more than one occasion…call it academic, I call it experience.

3 Likes

Great, so then you should be able to understand the woman’s perspective of being blocked in by strangers threatening to “whoop their ass” blocking them in and beating on the back of their car preventing them from leaving without potentially injuring one of the women assaulting them.

I’m betting this was their very first time in such a situation, so regardless of training they had or didn’t have, the “real thing” is a whole other world.

I guess they could have stayed in the vehicle continued to back up and hit one of the women assaulting them and then they’d be facing vehicular assault charges I suppose.

This was not a case of “ego” where some hot headed driver cut off another driver and flashed their gun or got mad at the poor McDonald’s cashier for getting their order wrong and brandished it. By the legal definitions (at least of my State) they were being assaulted (threatened of bodily harm), their property battered kept from leaving (unlawful imprisonment).

Every situation is different so every response will be a little different dependent on a thousand different variables. Again with your experience, you probably already understand that as well, which is what confuses me about a call to “immediately condemn” them. Heck, I don’t know that we’d even heard the other side of this story yet. We only have the aggressors’ video.

I know with all my experiences, I can sit back and Monday morning QB their actions, and come to conclusion that they probably didn’t make the right call. But that’s where I draw the line, I wasn’t there…I didn’t see what they saw, I didn’t hear what they heard, I didn’t feel what they felt.

It seems we can correct without condemning otherwise it seems a bit like eating our own unnecessarily.

7 Likes

We could also call it, you were lucky, and your experience is not that of another’s. The couple tried to leave, the other person that escalated the encounter, obviously, was preventing them from leaving. Sitting in your car waiting for an attack, typical now-a-days, isn’t wise. She probably should not have gotten out of the vehicle, but the end result is that they got away unhurt. The only issue is that the prosecutor stated that she was going to go after that couple.

I had an incident abroad many years ago, late at night walking back to the hotel. I noticed a person on the other side of the street heading in my direction. Initially I just assumed it was another person like me. I then decided to pull my knife and hide it in my hand. The person then shortly after, crossed the street and stopped directly in front of me. I then took a defensive stance, with my knife hand away from the person and flicked it open. The click of it opening in the dead of night was quite distinct. The perp asked what I had in my hand. I replied, “A knife”. The perp then decided to turn around and find another target. According to your experience, I would have been wrong to do that as the perp did not threaten nor attack me. Part of being defensive is not to wait to be assaulted.

In this incident being discussed in this thread, the couple attempted to avoid further interaction by getting in their vehicle and leaving. The perp decided to escalate the assault by preventing them from leaving. Justified self-defense in my book. If she shot her, that would not be justified, but stopping the assault that allowed them to get away, certainly was.

8 Likes

Thanks! and Happy 4th!!

4 Likes

I’m not going to automatically condemn anyone. It seems to be being lost in the signal to noise ratio the couple in the fan had children in the van and there was a sizeable crowd out there.

The mother and daughter were spoiling for a fight. They were already videoing because they were trying to provoke an incident. Up until they had the car stopped and the woman from the car got out they were very loud and aggressive. But then when the gun came out they started whining and crying to the crowd.

I’m sick that the couple is going through this. How much appeasement is enough? The woman who pulled the gun did everything she could to deescalate once she got in the car.

9 Likes

i disagree. It may not have been the best decision, but I can’t condemn her because she used the threat of deadly force to counter the threat of violence. I can’t wait to see how the courts decide this!

6 Likes

Being charged by a prosecutor who is eager to avoid ‘further protests’ and who is looking to ‘deescalate’ the situation themselves is a far cry from a conviction.

Getting fired for stepping between your wife and a perceived threat is a different story. But that could potentially have civil implications that work out in the end as well.

Only time will tell.

7 Likes

But if you feel you are invincible or immune to prosecution then carry on…but for all new gun owners reading this thread, pay very close attention to the facts and practice proper procedures.

2 Likes

If we choose not to condemn these premature draws then we are pert of the problem.

There is a time to draw your firearm, if there is any confusion on when is the right time then i would resort back to more training and/or research in the matter.

3 Likes

[quote=“Greg35, post:33, topic:29886”]
Being charged by a prosecutor who is eager
[/quote

Unless you know the prosecutor personally and have insight then i would say this is quite an assumption

2 Likes

Why is this their only other option?

I seen enough on the video to know there was no need to draw a firearm…and apparently the local prosecutor does as well.

2 Likes

I don’t know that it was…but neither do you (again we have none of their vantage point at this point in time). I don’t know that we know what all of their options were at this point in time. Again, why I cannot “immediately” condemn them.

I wasn’t aware that a prosecutor bringing charges equated to a guilty finding (no need to draw a firearm). Well that sure does save the time and expense of a jury trial, as Mr Gump would say, one less thing. Seems a little sketchy though in that the same prosecutor hasn’t brought (to my knowledge) any charges against the mother and daughter for anything (despite there being plenty of video evidence to support). Interesting. :thinking:

4 Likes

Was there a disparity of force? Was staying inside of the car unsafe? I can tell you what will happen in courts: a plea to a lesser felony charge, probation and loss of 2A rights(if they are lucky!)
This thing is not for people who have little control of their ego or emotions.

1 Like

I actually agree with that concept, however…If you’ve watched any of the training grounds…it can get real cloudy real quick…and then drop it down into real life at real time (training I get “do -overs”), well you only get once chance on that my friend. Once chance to take an action and conversely one chance NOT to take an action…the impacts of both decisions will last your lifetime whether that be another 3min or 30 years.

4 Likes