Angry exchange shows gun being pulled on mom, teen

A story of two out of control idiots - don’t be any of these people!

3 Likes

Thank God no shots were fired. It could’ve been worse.

1 Like

Anyone noticed? The way the armed woman placed her hand early in the video, it was very suggestive of appendix carry.

7 Likes

Yes sir I did notice that and I hope they just didn’t drive away without waiting for LEO. I believe she just wanted to get the hell on out of there and the woman kept following her. There was no need to pull a gun in that case.

2 Likes

The video does not depict the events well, but it seemed to me as they were trying to leave, that one of the ones involved in the argument began pounding on their vehicle, and apparently moved behind the vehicle to block them from leaving. At that point the woman got out and pointed her firearm and commanded they move away.

As we have seen in prior instances, stopping your vehicle due to someone blocking your path frequently does not end well for the people in the vehicle. The only thing that she did wrong was not get herself between the vehicle and the person(s) that were banging on her vehicle. She did finally move back and create distance, though. As best I can see, image is quite small, it does appear that she is indexing her finger on the frame, so it appears she is using proper safe handling technique.

The story does state that the police arrived shortly after the incident and did not arrest anyone. Most despicable was the statement from state Sen. Rosemary Bayer, D-Beverly Hills. “People should feel safe going about their day and not have to worry about having a gun pulled on them during a conflict,” she said. "This incident clearly shows we have much work to do because this is not how we should be treating each other.”

I agree with the last statement. People should not be shouting hateful, bigoted comments at strangers. It all began because the daughter felt slighted, and then momma bear came in and threw gasoline and a lit match to incite a racial conflict where none existed.

8 Likes

This is a good lesson for the 2A community.
Is it worth the trouble?

This incident reminds me of this guy (from WA, I believe) who goes from place to place looking for someone to antagonize and catch the resulting outburst on video. As evidenced by recent events, it’s very easy to sway public opinion by sharing edited video that can be easily taken out of context.

7 Likes

To me it looks like they were at some sort of strip mall. Could have gone into the shop snapping a picture of the license plate and instigator(s) on the way, ask the shop keeper to call the police and report harassment and that someone is being held against their will by their car being blocked. Video their action through the window and call and make the same report as the shopkeeper should be making by now.

If you leave into the shop and they follow you that pretty well says it all as far as who is escalating and who tried to deescalate.

Yes it’s a thought out hind sight is 20/20 answer, but that is why we discuss these things.

3 Likes

You dont have to have a conversation, explain yourself, be polite. Stop acknowleding the problem people, focus on getting out of danger.

2 Likes

Jesus wept.
Are you kidding me? That mother and daughter were looking for trouble. That was pure theatrics on their part. Makes me sick to see what the Senator and Oakland supervisor said.

9 Likes

It’s been reported by M-live that the white couple have both been charged with felonies. Not really surprised, didn’t she/they take a gun to a shouting match? Waiting to hear if they had a cc permit. I’m sorry for the whole scenario.

2 Likes

According to the news this morning, she was a CPL holder. I told my wife, regardless of what stupidity went on to cause this, we as concealed carry gun owners need to de-escalate the situation. This day in age it makes every gun owner look bad. My wife doesnt carry or have her CPL, although I wish she would at least take the class to learn the laws.

4 Likes

They wouldn’t want me on that jury because there is no way I would convict.

5 Likes

This is exactly the reason I have USCCA. I’m pretty active in the Black Lives Matter Movement, but I don’t think drawing her weapon was unreasonable given that they were blocking her in. Her husband stopped the vehicle when the Mother walked behind the vehicle as it reversed and then hit the window. I can see how that would lead to the White Woman to draw her weapon. I’d like to hear what USCCA has to say about this.

5 Likes

Google News - Couple charged with felonious assault after woman points gun at family outside Orion Township Chipotle

3 Likes

Whats up brother Travis glad you can join our family, welcome aboard and be blessed.

3 Likes

I’ve heard rumors that the ‘entire’ video is floating around on Reddit, and that it suggests that the woman was being accosted and blocked from getting away, but that earlier part of the video was edited out.

Edit: Here’s an extended cut from YT.

3 Likes

It is not surprising since the prosecutor stated the other day she was going to find something to charge them with. The case will fail, but I am sure the prosecutor will try to get them to plea bargain, instead. The worst of it is that the husband was fired from his job. I doubt the woman yelling “racist” is getting fired.

I have watched the video several times. The white couple ended the confrontation by getting into the vehicle, and were leaving. The mother then got behind the vehicle as it was backing up and slammed her hand or something against it, (sound was audible in the video) to prevent them from leaving. Interestingly, that last video, I heard the sound of the handgun being racked after she exited the vehicle.

The black females, or at least the mother, was trying to turn this into a fight. She escalated the encounter when the couple tried to leave. You know they were looking for trouble, as they had their cell phones ready to video the incident.

I keep thinking what if this happened to my wife while she was alone, or what would I do alone or if we were together, when trying to leave and get our vehicle blocked in? Especially after several people were yelling and threatening, as these females were, trying to provoke a fight. I would be afraid they wanted to do us harm, why else prevent the vehicle from leaving? I probably would have pulled my firearm, too, though I would have had it in a low ready, first, while issuing the command to back away. I probably wouldn’t have gotten out of the vehicle, but just put the window down. If I got out, I would have immediately gotten distance between us, and used the vehicle as a barrier.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard! Happy 4th.
Unfortunately there was no threat of imminent grave bodily harm, especially when they retreated to the inside of the vehicle, they had every means of escaping. Slowly and safely, dial 911. I know the cops are not going to show up, but there will be a record of the call.
Since there are a lot of new gun owners, there’s going to be a lot more of this. If this stuff keeps up I fear an increase in what I will call “justified” drawing of weapons and possibly (meaning untrained people in fear) shootings, unlike the mass crazy shootings with no apparent motives!

3 Likes

The problem is that more and more people are relying on social media and either lack or choose not to apply any critical thinking skills. They see an inherently curated view and in the heat of the moment, pressure politicians to act without knowing the full context of a situation. We see it here and we’ve seen it with George Floyd and Rayshard Brooks.

From what I’ve seen from the safety of my home, there was no imminent danger that would justify pulling a firearm. What wasn’t caught on video though?

The takeaway from this is that we need to not get pulled into these instigators’ game. Get your own phone camera rolling and attempt to de-escalate, then disengage. This way, you’ve got your side of the story on film as well. The longer you stay there, the greater the chance that it will spiral into something bad so GTFO and report the instigator for harassment once you get clear. While having a non-lethal option would have been nice, I get the feeling that if pepper spray had been used, the instigator would have tried to make something of it too.

4 Likes

Another example of pulling your firearm prematurely.

We as a community should not condone these actions, instead we should condemn them immediately, so as to clearly distinguish our position in said matters, and furthermore to help our fellow gun owners understand drawing your firearm should always be a last resort.

4 Likes