An Assault Rifle Did It

Anyone who follows the news read the story of the recent ambush in the LA area (no surprise. It’LA). I was reading a story about it and in story it was noted that there were multiple weapons used. And, here’s the kicker, judging by the casings, one was an assault rifle. And I just sat here shaking my head thinking “here we go again.”

So, my question is : How was it determined it was an “assault” rifle? Or was it just because the ammunition fits into an AR style rifle. Maybe because the shell casings are big and scary looking? Were the shell casings interrogated?

5 Likes

Sounds to me like they were all assault weapons.
Fwiw, my AR’s are lovers, not fighters.

7 Likes

It’s probably a reasonably accurate guess that, if there are a good number of 5.56/.223 casings on the ground after a shooting, probably a semi auto 5.56/.223 was used and probably, given the selection of said firearm types out there, it will be something that can be incorrectly categorized as an “assault rifle” (or correctly per some state’s legal definitions, even though the definition itself is kind of incorrect)

4 Likes

Imagine if it was due to a clueless reporter who saw rimfire casing and immediately remembered seeing an ad for this…

7 Likes

God Forbid they say something like “Casings found on the scene were .22 caliber possibly .223/5.56”. Instead it’s those “awful, violent Assault Rifle similar to the one carried by the likes of Rittenhouse…”

6 Likes

What are the chances? :thinking:

7 Likes

THESE ARE ALSO BANNED <<<

4 Likes

CAT WITH A BUM TRIGGER <<<

3 Likes

Whew! Now I’m glad I opted for an “anti-assault rifle.”

3 Likes

What about products put up the butts made in the US ?
Hmmmm >>> Recount Please <<<<

4 Likes

Any other casings would not make the news.

2 Likes

Since it was determined by the casings, some of the casings head stamps must have been marked “For Assault Rifles Only”

Wonder how many were marked “For Revolvers Only”?

3 Likes

Bruce26:

I would bet the majority of those people were on the far left and the foreign object was their head.

5 Likes

Mattm:

Mine too. Pick them up and they snuggle right in to that little old shoulder pocket. They are even better behaved if you hold them to your cheek.

3 Likes

Ok Community I would like to say something here… Ladies and Gentlemen I mean no disrespect or insult to intelligence. I feel the need to mention this in the case that perhaps a visitor might be on the fence of joining the USCCA and visiting this Post, or perhaps a new member is visiting this Post. And no, I’m not an expert…
ProudAmerican667 brings up a good point…
AR-15, AR-10… The “AR” part of that Does Not Stand For “Assault Rifle”. It stands for Armalite Rifle, thus it is a Rifle. Not a Machine Gun, Not an Assault Rifle. Not anything more than a Rifle.
This “AR” thing is an issue with ignorant people who don’t know better. It works though, right? AR = Assault Rifle… No, it is Rifles built on the Armalite Rifle design.
So then what is an Assault Rifle? It is a Rifle, Firearm, that can switch between Semi-Auto and Full-Auto. Or simply Full-Auto… Of course One can find a wealth of information in regards to this on the internet.
So, The Owner of an “AR” does not own an “Assault Rifle” but simply a very popular Rifle Platform built from the Armalite Rife design.
Ok Done, I mean no offence…
Going to throw this in… I first purchased an AR-15. Regretted not getting a 10. I have both now. If One is on the fence for a first AR purchase, get a 10…
Thanks Folks! Kicks in the head are welcomed…

3 Likes

Good point which is a great clear up. For newbies, yes, “AR” means Armalite Rifle. And even those of us who know that simply throw “AR” out there like everyone knows what it stands for. And it’s a simple thing to do. But always good to remember when discussing with others

3 Likes

So tired of this “assault “ stuff. If they can rename football and baseball teams because someone is so offended. Then let’s change the name ( no disrespect to Armalite) to “JUST-a-RIFLE”, JR for short, or Junior or JAR.

Assailant injures four using his JAR, yeah! That’s the ticket. Nothing scary about a jar? Some jars are filled with pennies, some with jellybeans, mine is filled with bullets! Ok! So it doesn’t meet CA standards and can hold more than 30 rounds!

Duck!, he’s got a JAR! Guess it won’t work if liberals continue to be afraid of words! Boo!

5 Likes

I can look it up but can you tell me the difference between the Ar10
& the Ar15…… OMG BURN ME AT THE STEAK ,DON’T give 2 turds for the AR STUFF don’t even like to see em on the range. ,GIVE ME MY M14 ~ I’m good to go. ( uooops, do like AKs )

1 Like

AR15 type is Intermediate cartridge (like 5.56x45 or similar) vs AR10 type is full rifle cartridge (like .308).

The AR15 type family is much, much more prolific with more interchangeable parts and modularity between manufacturers

2 Likes

So if the AR 10 is a 7.62 how is the felt recoil ? I never shot either one, just don’t like um, but I can see why they have their deserved place in history just like the M1 & M 14

Thanks

1 Like