Anyone from Rhode Island? Time to contact your reps (AWB inside)

The wording of the assault weapons ban is very similar to the language in the proposed AWB in Virginia for our current legislative session.

I found it while surfing Reddit (more info in the thread there including contact info of those on the Judiciary Committee). This bill is apparently in the Judiciary Committee right now.

Link to the proposed bill S 2131 (?).

Important language:
Under Definitions…

(2) “Assault weapon” means:
(i) A semi-automatic shotgun with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding six (6) rounds, or that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and a pistol grip, or a folding or telescopic stock.

I read this as, if your shotty fits any of these three scenarios, your shotgun is considered an assault weapon:
a) holds more than 6 rounds in the tube
b) has the ability to accept a detachable magazine AND has a pistol grip (odd combo?)
c) a folding or telescopic stock

(ii) A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding ten (10) rounds or with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following features:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock;
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(C ) A bayonet mount;
(D) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; or
(E) A grenade launcher. “Assault weapon” shall not include a semi-automatic rifle which has an attached tubular device and which is capable of operating only with .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

Pretty much every modern semi-auto rifle I can think of can take a detachable magazine. Obviously telescoping stocks and pistol grips are super common. The threaded barrel (again super common whether you realize or not your barrel even has it) is probably targeted at suppressors.

I think the only thing putting the M1 Garand on this list is the bayonet mount.

(iii) A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following features:
(A) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(B) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(C ) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned; or
(D) Manufactured weight of fifty ounces (50oz) or more when the pistol is unloaded.

Again, pretty much every modern semi-auto I can think of takes a detachable magazine. I think this is mostly targeted at AR15 style pistols with A, C, & D. B means anything that can take a suppressor, including your suppressed .22LR pistol.

47.1-3. Restrictions on manufacture, sale, purchase and possession of assault weapons.
(a) No person shall manufacture, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, possess, or have under his or her control an assault weapon, except as otherwise authorized under this section. Any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be punished by imprisonment of not more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), and except for a first conviction under this section shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension or deferment of sentence, nor probation, and the assault weapon shall be subject to forfeiture.

Basically… You can’t have it an assault weapon as defined above. If caught with an “assault weapon” you get up to 10 years and $10,000 fines, and lose the firearm.

If you own the firearm within a year of the law passing you can register it, render it inoperable, surrender it to the state, or transfer it out of state. Registration requires fingerprinting and additional background checks.

Here’s a nice touch:

(h) If an assault weapon registered pursuant to the provisions of this section is used in the commission of a crime, the registrant of that assault weapon shall be civilly liable for any damages resulting from that crime. The liability imposed by this subsection shall not apply if the assault weapon used in the commission of the crime was stolen and the registrant reported the theft of the firearm to law enforcement authorities within twenty-four (24) hours of the registrant’s knowledge of the theft.

Now, if you’ve registered this firearm as an “assault weapon”, you can only use it on your own property, the property of someone who has given you permission, ranges, and travel to-from those places. At all other times it must be in “secure storage” (defined in the bill).

47.1-6. Licensed firearm dealers – Certificate of transfer.

If you transfer the firearm, the state needs to know who you sold it to, including name, address, social security number and drivers license of the recipient. It’s unclear to me if this is for transfer before and after the law takes effect or just after. Logically I’d think it was for after, but… ¯\(ツ)

Also, the law takes effect as soon as it’s passed.