Airport travel

Hello I’m traveling to Montana from Newark Airport and want to bring my hand gun I know how to pack it and carry it into NJ but I don’t have a NJ license just NY and PA can I legally carry it in my​ locked checked bag in a locked box into the airport and when I fly back I have to pick up my bag would this be legally ? Thank you for any information you can give

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @sal8 someone will be around to answer your question shortly.

4 Likes

@Sal8
Welcome to the family and glad to have you. You will meet some good people and learn a lot from this forum.

4 Likes

If you don’t have a permit for that handgun issued by NJ, I recommend not under any circumstances taking that handgun into NJ

If you go through an airport in NJ (or NY) with a handgun and you don’t have a permit for that handgun issued by that state, expect to be arrested and face felony charges

10 Likes

Glad i asked thanks i thought if it was locked in a lock box in my luggage i could fly out of NJ i guess i have to fly out of NY or PA were i have a permit.

5 Likes

Good luck, and stay legal. NJ has one of the most strict regulations. Good that you are asking. Maybe even please check out the various airport rules and regs and be prepared to play it very safe if called for. Plain and un-fancy-like. My reason for more than one arm at home; God-forbid my main EDC ever got confiscated due to a kind officer just erring on there side of caution.

• 2 metal boxes that lock
  • 1 for the arm
  • 1 for the ammo
  • ammo in it’s own sales box, so they can see its brand
  • No JHP in NJ, stick with plain FMJ there

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/nj-gun-laws/

5 Likes

You will need to declare the gun when you check-in. Don’t just pack it your luggage without declaring. You also need to have a legal permit in the state of your destination.

4 Likes

Or retroprosity? I have NY and PA traveling to Montana flying from PA now .Thanks all for the good information .

2 Likes

Makes me wonder, if I fly into a constitutional carry state, do I need a permit from where I came from.
Anecdote:
Last summer I drove from SLC through Idaho over to a town in Montana then over to ND. I can’t remember if any of them “Required” a permit.

3 Likes

Polymer-filled JHP is legal in NJ.

2 Likes

If that state requires a permit.

3 Likes

You don’t necessarily need a permit recognized in your destination state to take a handgun there. Depends on the state. Even CA doesn’t require a recognized carry permit

But through NJ with a handgun without a NJ permit is a do-not-do in this case, even though MT has good laws

It’s a minefield out there. :frowning:

5 Likes

Its not worth it I’m going to leave my gun home if i get attacked by a grizzly when hiking that will be it .i bought a 10mm for this trip i guess it will stay home in the safe what stupid laws in this country im legal in NY but if i go to NJ I get arrested .

2 Likes

I don’t understand your reply?

1 Like

But if you have retrospective in the state you are flying into i think thats ok

1 Like

Seems simple enough to me. Avoid New Jersey…

6 Likes

Bear spray is possibly more effective than a pistol anyway. So in terms of bears, buy bear spray when you get there

If you have a permit for that handgun issued to you by the state of NY, then it would seem that flying out of NY is an option. Or PA.

3 Likes

The law in NJ about not allowing JHP cartridges in public does not apply JHP that are polymer-filled. Under NJ law those rounds are not considered JHP.

3 Likes

You mean that my states permit needs to recognized right?

1 Like

I am sorry I was not precise enough in my comment. As noted by others, you can fly to a state with a handgun packed securely in your checked luggage if the state of destination recognizes your state permit to carry or if the state of destination is a constitutional carry state and does not require a permit for non-residents to carry concealed.

4 Likes