Advice on a fixed blade knife please

KaBar is never a bad choice but their quality today is not what it was years ago particularly when compared to higher end knives.

A sharp stick or even kubaton will get the job done in most circumstances so there’s no real need to blow hundreds of dollars on an EDC/SD knife but you do tend to get what you pay for.

1 Like

IMO, some familiarity with the knife laws, regulations, and practical implementation would be invaluable if you really think there is a possiblity of usage as SD. My memory is fading, but IIRC, 20 years ago I attended a few SD classes at Rick Faye’s training center in MN (back then they offered a week or two for free). Again, IIRC, he emphasized that if you are not LE or military in hostile environments, 99% of the time if you have to be in a knife fight you are likely the bad guy/gal. Since the other person needs close proximity to use a knife, distance (or running away) is usually the answer. I won’t argue with anyone if they say I’m wrong about any of this as I’m no expert and my memory could be off.

That being said, different instructors will often prefer different styles of SD knives, and have “trainer” knives for practice with a partner. Different fixed or folder suggestions might be heavily influenced on which instructor you train with.

Additionally, I’ve heard of “get off me” knives. I’m not familiar with the techniques, but I believe they were once marketed towards LE’s, i.e. the Ka-Bar TDI (2.3" blade version) and the Benchmade Azeria.

Personally, my carry knife preferences are based on what tasks I might have to do that day, i.e. cutting boxes, letters, bags, rope, styrofoam, insulation, etc. Today, it’s a BM 913, but often it’s a Buck 110/112 or a BM 570. I also carry a seperate MT which sees a lot of use (LM Juice S2). I would also suggest getting a decent sharpener and learn how to properly sharpen your knife and remove burrs. I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker, as it is pretty simple and effective.

1 Like

I was going to walk over to a friends home for dinner on Wednesday evening and asked him which would be appropriate to bring for the journey? On the left is a KaBar I recently won from KaBar on Facebook, top center a Glock 42, bottom center my EDC Glock 26 and right is an old blade I inherited from my father, a Case Bowie style knife with a 9.5 in blade. Frankly, the Case would scare the hell out of me. The blade is long enough to to go straight through and poke out the other side of me and I an not a skinny guy.
Iopted for my EDC.

2 Likes

Heh, the Case looks every bit like a pirate’s open carry on a chest rig! There’s a guy in Florida I noted in Etsy who could do the harness and holster work for you if you were interested. Heck, the Glocks would just disappear into the leather!

So, what did your Neighbor say to carry?

3 Likes

His response was Holy Sh**! About the CASE.

2 Likes

Share a link for him? I’ve got an idea for how I want to holster this, but I’m not finding anything like I’m looking for.

1 Like

@Zee
Here you go Milady!

Dredmors Plunder

& check this Baldric

Cheers!

1 Like

@CHRIS4… niiice! They’ve got some beautiful work there.

Wonder if I should get one of those leather crowns for when my boss is out and I’m Queen of Software… :thinking:

3 Likes

@Zee :scream::scream::flushed: Oh my

2 Likes

@Robert8 :laughing:
I wish I got credit for it, but no, one of the engineers from our Japanese parent company started it… all my bosses were planning to be out, along with the other software team leads, at a training conference. The Japanese engineer said “Well, I guess that makes you queen of software while they’re gone”… to this day, when he come in from Japan he always gives me a solemn bow and says “Your Magesty” :blush::laughing:

2 Likes

I have a knife from my Dad which was a hand down from His Pop. Simple but very meaningful to our family as it was made for Dad as a tool to take with him on his way to war… WWiI and a three year tour 1942 through 1945. By the way, did your Father have a story to share with you about the Case?

On the other hand, my mid life partner gave me a knife like your Case - which could be far more likely found on a movie set rather in civilian defensive combat.
United Cutlery Relic Series Horus Egyptian Falcon UC1229

2 Likes

Al. is just the opposite we can’t have single edged Bowie knives. Go to www. Knifeup.com for your state laws on knives.

Also, if you get Damascus it needs to spend as little time in sheath as possible.

So if you wear while out, when you settle down for night take blade from sheath. Clean it, lightly sharpen, and oil it. Dry it and again re-oil it. Let it sit outside of sheath til needed again.

I have an entire room of my home dedicated to Damascus steel blades. Couple hundred at least. Favorite one is from the broken off end of a WWII Japanese Officers sword he turned it into a tanto in a bamboo hilt and sheathe not much to look at from outside but gorgeous when unsheathed.

Funny thing, didn’t pay a dime for it. Some believe that certain swords have for lack of a better word souls, I am from that school of thought from my time with my cousin and that anytime you draw it you should never sheathe it unblooded, so I knicked my thumb, applied a drop to the blade and apologized. I’m 1/4 Japanese, and he said he had never seen someone treat her the way she was supposed to be treated and he gave it to me. So I go to his booth now every year at DragonCon, and buy at least one Damascus blade every year. So he has probably made more money off me on his other knives than that one cost.

For Husband Eyes: Watch out collecting Damascus blades can get addicting. You can find $45-$100 blades but then you start looking at others it can get expensive with the quickness.

Also look over at Bud K knives, Gil Hilbert makes some very good ones.

2 Likes

The Case has no real back story other than my father carrying it to school at Temple University when he was going nights for his masters and PhD. Not the safest part of town.

3 Likes

Just as a bit of an update to @LightBeing. I lean more to the fixed blade even living in California. A problem I intend to rectify in a short period of time. Leaning towards what @WildRose was saying bringing a fixed blade into play can be pretty straight forward and you don’t draw it to scare anyone anymore than you would a hand gun. Reading the magazines sent to me by USCCA there are many instructional pages devoted to defending yourself with a bladed weapon. The knife I had made has many of the positive notes of the Kabar that was used so successfully by so many when I was in the military. More reach and a bigger blade than a pocket knife. Though I have pocket knives for times when wearing a fixed blade might been seen as not appropriate. Just personal choice. But it is hard to flaw 1095 steel or 5160 or a knife made to order just for the individual.

The key is I shouldn’t have to think about if it is worth it to defend myself from a life threatening attack. I should only worry about having the right tool for the effort. Even in California fixed blades have their place. With a fixed blade like the one I posted can be used to slash and disable as well as stab if necessary. And yes chopping is a valid method that can be deployed with a larger knife. And just like everything else we have to be aware of our surroundings “before” we are faced with the need to engage the weapon of choice. Just my take on it.

https://hobanco.com/blogs/news/california-knife-laws

2 Likes

Playing off of your post Robert.

Keep in mind that many states limit you to a 3" bladed carry knife and that is all that is necessary to reach any of the body’s vital organs or major blood vessels.

What I teach is if you’re only going to carry one knife carry it on your off side so you can employ it to create distance and protect your draw if necessary.

You don’t need to be a Ninja or get any specialized training to use a knife defensively. Just set yourself up so that when you draw it you have the blade down and sharp side forward and using it in defense then is completely natural and intuitive.

2 Likes

@WildRose
Before getting my CCW I researched some of the knife laws in my state. Folding knives here, are far more restrictive. Though I do have a few that meet the state requirements. I would hope, much like my desire to not have to use my EDC to defend myself, that I would never be in a situation to “have” to use a blade to defend myself. Still if I ever am in the situation for whatever reason I like the sturdiness of a fixed blade, forged steel blade. I am at that age where I cannot say I would be successful in a one on one confrontation but having a weapon that can give me just a bit more reach makes me “feel” better. Not trying to say my choice is better than anyone else’s. Just giving my reasons for the choice I have made.

2 Likes

Oh I certainly understand the comfort factor of the longer blade.

The nice thing about a blade though is that no matter what the length it’s visibility is enough to dissuade most potential attackers.

Fortunately the streets are not quite like the jungles or deserts many of us served in and the potential bad guys we’ll deal with are almost never intent on killing, they want a quick easy strike for profit from an unarmed target.

The method I teach is solely about dissuading the attacker completely or just keeping them off of you long enough to safely draw and employ the firearm.

1 Like

@WildRose we then are in agreement.

2 Likes

Beautiful Bowie. Mind if I ask a dumb question? How are you inserting pictures into these threads.

1 Like

Thank you. Bottom right corner.

1 Like