Favorite style of EDC knife

So what is everyone’s favorite style of EDC knife? Manual folders, auto’s, OTF’s or even fixed blades? Growing up I thought owning a Case slip joint was the pinnacle of EDC knives. Then I caught the knife bug and I haven’t slowed down since. I recently purchased the Protech SBR and while I was never a fan of auto’s…Protech changed my mind! :hocho: :dagger: :crossed_swords:

3 Likes

Every day a Puma pocket pal,a friction folder.Woods use a 40 year old Buck Frontiersman.

1 Like

Yard work=Buck 112.
EDC=CRKT M16

1 Like

Sharp. Really, really sharp.

6 Likes

I like @David38’s opinion :+1:
For EDC - small, folded, one hand operated. Right now I’m using Gerber which has less than 2" blade.

1 Like

I carry between 2-4 folding rescue blades daily, depending on whose car I’m in. Wife car = 4, my car 2. I also carry 2 dual edged Kerambit fixed blade Damascus steel blades. I’ve trained with them most of my life and am most comfortable with them.

So a minimum of 4 knifes to who knows?

I have a pretty extensive knife collection. Damascus Steel mostly. Some folded steel.

1 Like

@45IPAC the Buck 112. Hard to beat a knife that every one of our grandpas carry lol. They can take a beating!

3 Likes

@Zavier_D my knife collection is getting pretty extensive and pretty expensive😂 I don’t own any karambits nor have I trained with any. If sht hits the fan and the only thing I have is a knife, I’m really digging this protech and hope it gets the job done for the price you pay

1 Like

I studied Escrima for a very long time. So, that’s how that started.

1 Like

I’ve carried Spyderco Endura’s for the better part of 20 years until I couldn’t get them for free anymore (Retired) I picked up a Sig Sauer promo knife off the prize table at one competition or another and used it until about 2 mos ago when I lost it on a job site. Carried a Spyderco Delica and lost it last week. Have a $10 Chinese throw away in my pocket now. Going to look at Kershaw as the VP swears by them and not at them. My only requirement is the clip be opposite the hinge and I prefer holes in the blade as opposed to buttons or studs.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

90-1053-Gerber-Hinderer-CLS-Black-front__86035.1562619450.500.659

I’ve kept a Gerber Hinderer EMT knife in my cars for years. Since COVID hit it stays in my pocket instead of my car.

I like that it’s designed for rescue, not for Bear Grylls lookalike contests. Also, I recommend the red. For whatever reason, it’s less ‘scary’ than the black knife. It’s also easier to find if you misplace it. :blush:

1 Like

I’ve been eye balling the benchmade outlast on blade hq for a truck knife. It’s pretty sweet for a first responder knife. That Gerber reminds me of it in a way

2 Likes

I’ve had mine since I was young. It’s over 30 years old now. The blade is worn down, but still sharp.

3 Likes

Starting about 20 years ago, pocket knives must open with the push of a button. The two I carry are a 2.5" blade & a 4" gut hook blade, depending on what the day holds. I did get a short push dagger recently that I’ve grown pretty fond of, too.

2 Likes

My current EDC is the Benchmade Auto Stryker. It took the place of my older S&W SWAT lock blade. The S&W I’d in my car door panel as my backup.

2 Likes

I couldn’t pass up a sale. Not long ago I bought a custom 3/4 Bowie thinking about a fixed blade. It was a good knife but it was after all too big. However S&W has a whole line of knives and I have a small pocket knife made by them. Well today I found a fixed blade boot knife that works about the same as one of my mag holders or in a boot. Don’t know if it will become my favorite but I think I will give it a try. The picture is a take off on a magazine add.

Still carrying my two favorite Kerambits with miscellaneous others

I carry a Cold Steel Ti-Lite in S35VN with 7075 grip plates most of the time since the pandemic began. But I have a step down and a step up. I step down to a Kershaw Leek and up to a Cold Steel SRK in SK-5 steel. Those are my 3 EDC knives, and the SRK is my basic belt knife when I transition from EDC to tactical kit.

I was looking at a S&W straight. Assisted release that reminds me of that. But I have a few assisted opening folders that size and they just “feel” too big in my pocket. Maybe if I had on my 5.11 tactical pants or cargo pants however? I might break down and just get one to have it.

I always have some sort of MT on me, or in my luggage. Most used/carried is an old LM Juice. More recently I started added a more “knife like” knife for ease of deployment for cutting tasks. Although I have fancy Spyderco’s and BM’s with fancy steals and cool looking blades, my favorite “knife only” carries are a finger grooved Buck 112, and a Buck 110 Lite I sanded finger grooves into and rigged a LM pocket clip to… yes, they are both one hand deployable.

I don’t carry a knife I won’t use for everyday tasks, but understand why some do.