Accidental Discharge

Doesn’t say if he got thrown out of the FBI.

4 Likes

I did not research further. Merely an ND resulting in an injury and no prison time. [edit - sarcasm]

How many killed at Waco without prosecution nor prison? Killer at Ruby Rdige was not even prosecuted. This guy might have even gotten a promotion. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

6 Likes

Negligent… not accidental :wink:

7 Likes

I would stay as well. I’d want to make sure any witnesses knew that it was not an intentional discharge and I was not attempting to harm or threaten anyone. Running away is more likely to leave people wondering if you intended to do harm or make a threat.

3 Likes

Didn’t want to use the term NEGLIGENT since she most likely did not have a bit of training. Average Joe/Mary Lou, the two names do not pertain to anyone personally, only understand Accidental .

2 Likes

I would count not taking the time to learn how to properly handle, use and store a tool that is capable of causing serious injury as being a negligent act that could lead to many future “accidents”.

4 Likes

… are a prohibited person… or that is what I would be thinking, anyway. :grimacing: However, not likely in this incident. I just looked it up, and have found this:

Detectives have located the woman, whom law enforcement did not identify, and no charges have been filed at this time.

4 Likes

He’s probably teaching gun safety now.

4 Likes

We should teach the proper terms regardless if these are easy to understand / recognize or not… especially on this Community.

Otherwise accidental / negligent will be treated as the same… and this would be very wrong.

If we, people of firearms World won’t understand the basics, there’s no way we can teach and educate others. :expressionless:

4 Likes

Jerzy, yes I strongly believe in using the correct terms when talkig about specific subjects, one being firearm handling and usage.
I’ve also found that there are some people who think they know more than someone who is a trainer and has been taught correctly. I have a few male associates who go to firearm ranges and are 3 to 5 years older than I. They are Vets or retired police officers. To see them swinging loaded firearms around behind the firing line, passing loaded firearms between each other, etc, etc, etc.
I’ve tried to teach/explain to them they’re doing wrong and mention the range safety rules but they look at me as thinking, “WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO”.
I do not go to the range with them since I’ve seen how they act.
I’ve packed up and left ranges seeing others do unsafe actions. Yes, I’ve reported it to the proper range authorities. Some time passes and I go back to a range where these unsafe actions were seen and low and behold I see folks doing unsafe actions again. I don’t ever go back to those ranges.

6 Likes

I have been carrying for roughly 10 years and had no formal training. I used to frequent the range with my son who was 14 at the time. Before handing him the gun I always pulled the slide back. Thats just common sense as too many things can happen when the gun is fire ready. It is amazing that the two federal agents seemed to lack the much needed common sense I think would be needed for safe gun handling.

4 Likes

:flushed:

These words are typical for people who have no idea about firearms… they just pretend to know… :zipper_mouth_face:

We, Instructors can try to teach them, but I know, such people are not teachable…

4 Likes

No overstating the importance of trigger guards!

6 Likes

Or death!

4 Likes

Bruce221, I started up my own business 44 years ago in a northern state. I applied for a concealed carry permit because of taking my weekly receipts to the bank.
At that time the only way you would get a concealed carry permit, you had to agree to become a volunteer Deputy and receive training.
A plus to that was I could use the police range freely any time.

6 Likes

3 Likes

You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can’t make him think. We all know people like this and they come form all walks of life and it applies to every situation.

Two different things come to mind when relating experiences between civilian and military trained instructors. Both things come from outdoor classes being taught for longarm and side arm use. Same class, different ways of doing it.

First thing, starting on the civilian side, we were instructed to unload, clear and safe the weapons before going downrange to check/change targets. Even though we were carrying the weapons with us, long arm on a sling, side arm in a holster, it was unload, clear and safe every time. Made sense. In the course taught by military trained instructors, it was just safe the weapon and go. Long arm on the sling, sidearm in the holster. When I questioned this tactic, they looked at me like I had just fallen from a tree. “OK. Point taken. Shut up, Bruce.” I took the civilian training to heart on this one.

The second point is a little different and involves transitioning from long to short. The civilian method is using both hands to stow your long arm at your side then with strong hand pull your side arm and extend out with both hands. It is nice and smooth and safe. The military version of this is to stow your long arm with your weak hand while pulling your sidearm and engaging with your strong hand. Not as safe but if practiced can be smooth. The only REAL difference between these two methods is the time gap in the middle of the transition. The civilian method has a gap in the middle of about a second and a half where the military method is less than a second. I have chosen to practice the military method.

Incidentally, I took the civilian class first and the military class a few months later. The first time I made the transition from long to short in the civilian class, I simply dropped my longarm and allowed the sling to catch it. Blistering fast transition, but it earned me a very stern talking to and finger wagging by all the instructors. “OK. Point taken. Shut up, Bruce.”

4 Likes

Very good entry BruceE.

3 Likes

While I am a huge fan of constitutional carry, I’m not a fan of so many untrained people carrying concealed firearms out in public. They owe it to themselves, their families and to society to get the training necessary to keep everyone safe when they’re armed.
Having said that many of the concealed carry certification programs are extremely lacking. Most people believe once they get that certificate they are good to go and for most that is far from the truth

7 Likes

Bad ■■■■ doesn’t happen. It’s caused.

2 Likes