A Southpaw Problem

Hi, All;
I have a problem that I would like some advice on. As the thread title indicates, I am left handed, and normally carry my Taurus 9mm in an IWB holster on my left hip. That is all well and good, until I get into my truck. That puts the gun next to the driver side door, and makes it difficult to draw. I have checked out in-vehicle mounts, but they seem to just trade one problem for another-having to reach over my body to get to my gun (I can’t hit the broadside of a barn right handed.) I’d like to pick everyones brains for suggestions and ideas. Any takers?

3 Likes

Magnet mount on the door?

2 Likes
  1. Cross draw holster.
  2. Practice with your R hand–you’re going to need to be able to work right handed to be efficient in a carjacking.
  3. Buy an English car???
5 Likes

You’ll need to look for a shell specific to your model as this is just the strap and mount but if they have one you should be able to get it in left handed.

https://aliengearholsters.com/expansion-pack-for-car-holster.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw4871BRAjEiwAbxXi20gHdUAg0_HvCndQDj0w50PBVdKD2PzOVXiWV2SaR6xV9r50yVPWSxoCN-UQAvD_BwE

6 Likes

Wearing a gun in a car creates the same problem for lefties as well as righties. It’s on your hip (a$$uMEing 8:00 or 4:00 o’clock) and you are (conceptually) restricted by your seat belt. If you are left handed you actually are better off in that you can lean right and clear “leather” w/o the seatbelt being in your way too much and you have all of the passenger seat to lean into. If right handed you have the “V” or “Y” of the seatbelt in the way and that whole door / window thing to keep you from leaning left.

I’m not a fan of un holstering just to get into the car for a short ride but I will for a longer ride.

In truth it is a training issue that you can sit in your car and figure out how to get to your bang stick while buckled up.

Always remember, when driving your car you are in control of 3,000 to 8,000 pounds of defensive tool that can be replaced. I have found the Loud Pedal to be very handy to escape from dicey situations.

A gun is not always the best answer when other assets are available to clear you from a situation.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Holster mount under the steering wheel dashboard may help you or under the driver side seat. Have you tried appendix carry or shoulder holster. Just suggestions. Ultimately you have to train and feel comfortable. I would also train to shoot right handed.

2 Likes

Appendix carry will solve all your problems.

2 Likes

My car set-up… could move the pistol mount to the left side of the steering wheel if needed.

5 Likes

That pic was taken a year ago. Since then, for safety reasons, I installed a trigger guard that clips onto a hook I securely mounted under the dash as well. One quick pull and the weapon is free.

6 Likes

My Ruger American Pro is ambidexrtis. It’s also a tank. My son is a lefty & loves it

4 Likes

@TexasEskimo; that setup looks interesting. Where did you obtain it? Appendix carry would not work for me due to ‘middle-age spread’. I used to shoot right handed in the Air Force, and I had trouble qualifying. The range master saw me filling out a range card left handed, and handed me a lefty holster rig, saying, “Try this”. I did, and have shot left handed ever since. Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. Now all I have to do is try them and see what works.

5 Likes

@Henry_A
Tactical Pro Sports Tac Mag Gun Magnet with 25 lb Rating W/Mounting Screws and Tape (Pack of 4) Amazon.com
Another angle…

4 Likes

@Texas Eskimo, that looks like a good setup.
I am going to do some more research and probably do something similar. Also, does shooting through the door (instead of through the window) work? This is something I have been wondering for awhile.

3 Likes

@Henry_A I have seen it work when someone from the outside shoots in, but never from the inside out. So you would think it would work as a last result(?). Give it a try and post a video. :+1:

Another thing, the magnets work great for my Glock 43 and the 6 round magazines, I am not as comfortable using my Glock 17 though. It moves around too much when braking hard, and the magazines weigh three times as much.

3 Likes

@Henry_A Have seen real life SD after action doors as well as the occasional 3 gun match scenario gone bad. Depending on the weapon platform and amazingly enough if the window was up or down the results are pretty substantial. Windows have a significant effect on boolit velocity even more so than steel and aluminum. I would not have an issue punching through a door with a 45 ACP, 40S&W, 357 Mag but with a 9mm, 38 SPL I’d probably want a couple rounds through the same hole. 380 or less, not even gonna think it.

Car doors like houses have internal structure. If you hit the plastic door panel inside your car and the sheet metal outside the boolit will go. Add a window regulator, window or other odd bit of structure like a side impact air bag and it’s a crap shoot.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

As a fellow Southpaw, I have wrestled with this issue for a little while. You have some interesting options presented by others on this post. Me… I just decided to keep it holstered under my jacket or something in the passenger seat. If the family takes one vehicle (rare occasion), I put it (holstered) under my seat. *

*:point_right:t5:Now that’s if I’m carrying a double-stack pistol. My single-stack isn’t that burdensome in the car or anywhere. If I ever need to get to it, I hope I will be able to do so. This might call for some snap caps & practice draws for such a scenario.

Thanks for raising this issue @Henry_A :+1:t5::100:

3 Likes

Gentlemen, thank you for your ideas and. opinions, I really appreciate them. Here is the sceneario that is the genesis of my concern.
I pull up to an intersection at a stop light in my truck (a '94 Ford F150) and suddenly there is a guy right outside my (closed) window holding a gun on me and demanding I get out. Cross-traffic is heavy, and there is traffic behind me, so running is not an option. My gun (a Taurus 9mm) is in my IWB holster on my left hip. This is why I was wondering about ‘shooting through the door’. How do I handle this?

3 Likes

I’m not an attorney nor do I play one on TV. However if you live in a Castle Doctrine state, I believe Castle Doctrine extends to your home, it’s curtilage, and your vehicle. So I do believe if you had defended yourself, you would have been protected by Castle Doctrine. Castle Doctrine allows you to defend yourself with deadly force if anyone tried to forcibly remove you from your “Castle”.

Maybe @MikeBKY has a better explanation than mine.

You don’t mention how it turned but I hope you and yours are ok.

Super Secret :chipmunk: Edit: I think @TexasEskimo has an excellent set up for car carry if you care to scroll up to it.

2 Likes

@Zavier_D. Hi! I believe that you misunderstood me. This is not something that has occurred to me, it is a self defense sceneario that I am concerned about and am wondering how to handle, should it occur. Sorry I confused you. However, it is a nice thing to have real lawyers on this forum that are willing to help-One of the main reasons that I joined the USCCA!

1 Like

The Castle doctrine definitely includes homes but you need to look at your specific laws to determine if they doctrine follows you outside the home or in a vehicle. Here is how Kentucky’s statute reads:

(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of
unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered a
dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was
attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling,
residence, or occupied vehicle; and
(b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an
unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had
occurred.

2 Likes