A Quote For Today

Far better an approximate answer to the right question which is often vague, than an exact answer to the wrong question, which can always be made precise.
J.W. Tukey, 1962, “The Future of Data Analysis, pp.13-14”

3 Likes

Life is 95% of what happens and 5% how you choose to deal with it! Worry falls in with the 5%.

4 Likes

The first guy gave us electricity, the second guy owes us gas money!

3 Likes

You go to school to learn and not be stupid, you come out of school in deep dept and not as smart!

4 Likes

Why go to all the trouble of becoming a despot if you can’t have an enemy tortured and beheaded?
What can I tell you? Life’s unfair.
– Guillermo Sánchez Borbón, Harper’s Magazine, June 1988

2 Likes

“Show me your friends and I’ll tell you who you are.”

Mother

4 Likes

“Show me your ID and I tell you how old you are”
Me

4 Likes

Show me Richard Dawson!

2 Likes

Truth is out there. You got to go look for it.
You can’t arrive at the truth by adding up two
sides and dividing by two.
– Garrison Keillor

3 Likes

“There is no right way to do a wrong thing.”
unknown

4 Likes

“It hurts our narcissism…to discover that most of us are not the playwrights of our scripts but only adequate players of old parts.”
– Michael Ignatieff, “Love’s Progress” in Harper’s Magazine, August 1988

4 Likes

“All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players.”
– William Shakespeare
As You Like It, Act II

3 Likes

There you go.
I’m sure folks writing for Harper’s in the 1980s were completely unfamiliar with that guy.
:wink:

3 Likes

“Plagiarize, don’t shade your eyes. Why do you think the good Lord made your eyes?”

– Tom Lehrer

3 Likes

4 Likes

“When the rich rob the poor it’s called business. When the poor fight back it’s called violence.”

Mark Twain

3 Likes

“Racism is not dead, it’s on life support- Kept alive by politicians, race hustlers, and people who get a sense of superiority by denouncing others as “racist”.”

Thomas Sowell

5 Likes

Maybe…

The above aphorism seems so apt to contemporary political debates because it came from them.
It was not associated with Twain until October of [2015].
[…]
This quote deserves to have its anonymity preserved. As a genuinely crowdsourced piece of collective wisdom, rather than just another sharp jab from America’s favorite satirist, it speaks much more directly to the inequality and injustice it describes, as well as the idealism of the Occupy movement.
– Matt Seybold, Center for Mark Twain Studies

1 Like

“Any fool can make a rule,
and any fool will mind it.“

Henry David Thoreau

3 Likes

What if this isn’t the “new normal” so much as the future’s “good old days”?
Caulfield

3 Likes