A Quote For Today

7 Likes

8 Likes

We had a long discussion in my high school physics class about this. There are many more answers, including using the barometer as a measuring stick to measure the length of the building’s shadow on the ground, and applying trig to get the height; also going to the building engineer and trading the barometer for a copy of the building blueprints.

3 Likes

The carrying capacity of Earth for saints would be larger than for real people.
Real people do not distribute things equitably, and that lowers the carrying capacity.
– Anne and Paul Ehrlich, “Why Do People Starve?”, The Amicus Journal, Spring 1987

2 Likes

I like the “Art of War”, but I can’t remember what chapter this quote was at.

8 Likes

“As far as gear goes, you don’t need any of that ■■■■. Nobody needs that stuff. If it makes people feel better to have a garage full of the very best gear available, great, I’ll sell it to them.”
Yvon Chouinard, Outside, October 1987

If you were around while this was unfolding, ear-to-ear :grin:.

2 Likes

I get the Joe meme, but that’s actually a pretty long-running joke. Attributed either to a German officer in WWII or a Soviet officer just after WWII, the complaint was that it’s hard to plan against American military doctrine because the American military never follows their own doctrine.

2 Likes

We have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children.
– David Brower, Backpacker, March 1988

4 Likes

“The difference between a pessimist and an optimist is that the pessimist generally has more experience.”
Clare Boothe Luce

3 Likes

90% of what I worry about doesn’t happen, 5% of what I worry about happens but it’s not as bad as I expected, 5% of what I worry about happens and there’s nothing I can do to stop it.

So Why Worry?
Old Hippie Logic

3 Likes

“If there’s anything you need, just let us know, and we’ll tell you how to do without it.”
– sign in a not-so-classy Thai hotel

2 Likes

I saw one in a restaurant two weeks ago that said “We are short staffed. Get up and get it yourself.”

2 Likes

How much do you tip yourself? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

“It’s easier to fool people then it is to convince people that they’ve been fooled”

Mark Twain

7 Likes

3 Likes

ARInversion

Why are Most People Cowards? | Obedience and the Rise of Authoritarianism - YouTube

7 Likes

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
– John Rogers, 19Mar2009

5 Likes

IMHO- should be on everyone’s must read list. A tough read, but the message resonates with the current political climate that promotes mediocrity and forced “doing things for the greater good” mindset that kills innovation and the human spirit. Who’s John Galt?

2 Likes

A QUOTE FOR A WEEKEND:

4 Likes

Even if you’re kind of tall,
try to put it
in the bowl!

I’ll flush if you’re in that much hurry.

4 Likes