A Quote For Today

“To keep every wheel and cog is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.”
– Aldo Leopold, 1949
A Sand County Almanac

3 Likes

“It’s tough not to be a slime. But you gotta try, even though you’ll always fail. That’s what not being a slime is all about.”
– Doug Clapp, MacUser, August 1986

3 Likes

A Few of my Favorites:

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.

• Sir Winston Churchill

When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.

• C. P. Snow

I don’t understand the purpose of the line, “I don’t need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they’ve invented the lighter?

• unknown
6 Likes

8 Likes

I’ll also add a few favorites:

“You become what you give your attention to.”

• Epictetus

“Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.”

• Benjamin Franklin

“You’ll never be criticized by someone who is doing more than you. You’ll always be criticized by someone doing less. Remember that.”

• Denzel Washington

“The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: decide what you want.”

• Ben Stein

All the best to everyone reading,
Jason

5 Likes

"Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. "

“Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.”

“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.”

“Life is trying things to see if they work.”

“The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.”

“I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.”

“Before anything else, preparation is the key to success.”

"Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right. "

“Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear."

3 Likes

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.

• Autobiography of Mark Twain

:grinning:

4 Likes

Another perspective on “if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.”

4 Likes

“The better adapted you are, the less adaptable you tend to be.”
– Gerald M. Weinberg, The Secrets of Consulting

4 Likes

“Because [the American Revolution] was fought partly on behalf of abstract liberal ideals and universal principles, the tradition that American conservatism seeks to preserve is liberal.”
– David Brooks, “I Remember Conservatism”, January 2022

Not everybody remembers that conservatism.
:us:

3 Likes

Same thing , as a piece of paper that says you’re smart is meaningless if you aren’t !!

4 Likes

“The truth is like a lion! You do NOT have to defend it. You just have to let it out, and it will defend itself!”
St. Augustine

5 Likes

Were it only true…
:worried:

2 Likes

I hear you! I feel like we all have our own truths. Another persons truth might not line up with my truths. These are more opinions though. 1+1 will always be two. This can’t be argued. This is truth. If a criminal thinks a mark is or could be armed, they’re more likely to move on to a different target. Like moving from Texas to colorado. I feel like that can’t be argued.

4 Likes

“Being lost doesn’t mean you can’t find your way home. It just means you don’t know where the hell you are at the moment, or where you might end up. [I] think it’s also called exploring.”
– Ross Kirkwood, “On Getting Lost” in Fat Tire Flyer, 6:5

2 Likes

“…get confused, and get sharper in your confusion rather than blunter in your certainty.”
– Bill Woodruff, “ExperLisp 1.5”
BMUG Newsletter, Fall 1986

2 Likes

A class had been studying how air pressure decreases with altitude. A test question asked them how a barometer could be used to measure the height of a tall building. All the kids dutifully scribbled out the single, predictable answer, except one. He wrote:

There are two ways.

First you could drop the barometer from the top of the building and time how long it takes to fall. You can find the height with the equation y = (–at)2, where y equals the distance dropped, a is the acceleration constant (gravitational acceleration is about 9.8 meters per second), and t is the time.

Second, you could go to the owner of the building and say, “Here, I’ll give you this neat barometer if you’ll tell me how tall your building is.”

At last report the child was in trouble with some of his teachers who labeled him a “smart alec.”
– Brad Lemley, Whole Earth Review, Spring 1987

4 Likes

LOL Yes it is

2 Likes

Up at hunting camp this dude was bragging on his new hundred fifty dollar hat by saying that a human lost ninety percent of his heat through his head and the packer said,

“O.K., I’ll sleep with my body in my sleeping bag and you sleep with your head in yours, and we’ll see who gets coldest.”

– jd smith, Whole Earth Review, Spring 1987

2 Likes

f52c3c37d529c0b7

10 Likes