A Quote For Today

Sometimes, too much mercy shows too little kindness.

Everyone tells me I have to pick a side. My experience, didn’t seem to matter which side I was on, it was them in between as got the worst of it, every time.

4 Likes

The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.

— Joseph Heller, Catch-22

2 Likes

“You think following the rules will buy you a nice little life, even if those rules make you a slave,”

“I wouldn’t want to live without strong misgivings.”
Catch-22, Chapter 42–Yossarian

Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different.
– Albert Szent-Györgyi
(quoted by Roger von Oech in A Whack on the Side of the Head)

5 Likes

“Preach ALWAYS, and sometimes, use words!”
St. Francis

1 Like

Stolen and corrupted by Apple to “think different.”

1 Like

Sounds of a Summer Night, or My Interpretation of Reality:
I went to bed in my hotel at 12:30 am. At 1 am, a group of men, enraged by the exhibitionism of a Lincoln Continental, began breaking it up into little pieces, using the crowbars and sledge hammers they happened to be carrying. A passing patrol car stopped long enough to point out a fender which they had failed to notice.

At two o’clock, a hastily dispatched garbage truck arrived, and picked up the pieces, feeding them one at a time and chewing each piece thirty times as it had been taught by its mother.

At three o’clock, a passerby dropped a match on the sidewalk. Two SWAT teams immediately barricaded both ends of the block, and put floodlights into place as the miscreant’s mother pleaded with him to give himself up. Several policemen advanced with drawn revolvers pointing at him. (Policemen who are so lazy that they point their revolvers without drawing them tend to be nine-toed sloths.) After the criminal surrendered, Mayor Koch landed in a helicopter and spoke for 45 minutes to all those within a 20-block radius, in praise of Fun City.

At five o’clock, as a pipe and drum corps played Plumbers Local no. 23 “Anti-Communist March,” 500 steel balls were inserted into the hotel’s pipes in an effort to clear them.

At 7 am, the switchboard operator rang and said, “Wake, sluggard, night hath retreated to its bower, and the fingers of the sun already play at day’s coverlet. Are you by chance the gentleman who left a seven o’clock call?”

– Irving R. Cohen, from “On to Washington, on to New York”
The Pacific Sun, 12–18 December 1980

Things are so different now. Still. :thinking:
So, I guess you get up and do it again.

1 Like

I don’t give a damn about my reputation.
You’re livin’ in the past, it’s a new generation.
Go on and do what you want to do,
And that’s what I’m gonna do.

CH: I don’t give a damn about my bad reputation. Oh, no… Not me…
[…]
I don’t give a damn about my reputation.
…Never been afraid of any deviation.
And I don’t really care if you think I’m strange,
I ain’t gonna change.

CH:

An’ I don’t give a damn about my reputation.
The world’s in trouble, there’s no communication.
An’ everyone can say what they wanna say,
It never gets better anyway.

CH: So why should I care about a bad reputation…anyway. Oh, no… Not me…
[…]

– Joan Jett, “Bad Reputation"
:sunglasses:

People try to put us down.

Just because we get around.

Talkin’ ‘bout my generation.

I’m not trying to 'cause a b-big s-s-sensation

Why don’t you all f-fade away.

Talkin’ ‘bout my reputation.

:wink:

3 Likes

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that! Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that!”
Martin Luther King Jr.

3 Likes

NEVER ENTER BATTLE UNLESS VICTORY IS CERTAIN <<<
there is victory and honor in death <<<
“ BLACKY “

Well done is better than well said.
Benjamin Franklin

Happy Birthday Mr. Franklin !

3 Likes

Think twice, speak once.

There is no courage without fear, no virtue without temptation, no good without evil, no love without loneliness, no light without dark. The trick to living well is keeping your balance.

A human being should be willing to do whatever needs doing; specialization is for insects.

1 Like

“Being boss doesn’t make you right; it only makes you boss.”
– Milton Metz
quoted in “Murphy’s Law and Beyond”, Journal of Irreproducible Results, April/May 85

“Being right doesn’t make you boss; it only makes you right.”
corollary of Metz’ Paradigm
derived November 1987 by [techs]

:wink:

2 Likes

“Being right isn’t as important as being correct.”

“Being right is worthless; doing right has value,”

“I’m not always right, but I’m always sure.”

2 Likes

Bonus quote in honor of the holiday.

“We are not so naive as to believe persons who have traditionally opposed our right to vote will now desist from intimidating us. There must be a change. There will be a change. For to deny a person the right to exercise his political freedom at the polls is no less a dastardly act as to deny a Christian the right to petition God in prayer.”
–Martin Luther King, Jr., 19Jun1965

:us:
I share the dream.

2 Likes

I love Rev. Kings “I Have a Dream” speech.

"I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day down in Alabama with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, one day right down in Alabama little Black boys and Black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers. I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together."

I read this every year, on this day.

1 Like

“Whatever you do, you’ll regret it.”
– Allan McLeod Gray
by Robert Heinlein in The Cat Who Walks Through Walls

1 Like

“You have a choice in this life, so if you’re ignorant, selfish, and lazy, you suck.”
– Peter Nelson, Outside, May 1986

1 Like