Churchill's Shortest Speech - Timely Words For Today

Winnie - probably the greatest statesman of the 20th century - once gave a speech at his alma mater Oxford, during a commencement. He stood up, took off his hat, and began with, “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never!” I leave the rest up to you. FYI

3 Likes

I love Winston, I am still waiting for our Winston to step forward in our time. :us:

“Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. We stood all alone a year ago, and to many countries it seemed that our account was closed, we were finished. All this tradition of ours, our songs, our School history, this part of the history of this country, were gone and finished and liquidated.

“Very different is the mood today. Britain, other nations thought, had drawn a sponge across her slate. But instead our country stood in the gap. There was no flinching and no thought of giving in; and by what seemed almost a miracle to those outside these Islands, though we ourselves never doubted it, we now find ourselves in a position where I say that we can be sure that we have only to persevere to conquer.”

Along and distinguished Military career. :uk:

Also famously squared up to TR.
Theodore Roosevelt vs Winston Churchill. Epic Rap Battles of History - YouTube

There’s a bunch of photos I saw with Winston posing with a Thompson - suit, hat, cigar and all. Another anecdote of his involves his hostess at a tea party jokingly threatening to poison his tea. I was always impressed with Franklin, Paine, and Lincoln as “telling it like it is”. FYI