9mm Luger vs. Auto - P365(XL)

What experiences do folks here have using Luger vs. Auto with the P365 or XL variant? Have Luger rounds ever jammed and, if so, more or less often than Auto rounds?

I bought some Gold Dot Speer defensive ammo when I picked up the XL but noticed it was Luger and I haven’t heard many good things about Luger ammo (malfunctions and what-not).

Maybe there’s a difference that I don’t know, but I thought that they were the same.

2 Likes

The casing of Luger ammo is a bit smaller near where the slug sits. With Auto, I believe the casing is the same width for the entire length.

index

3 Likes

What we normally know as the 9mm AND also the 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm P, 9mm Nato and 9x19mm are the same round and they are all names for the standard cartridge all commercial semi-auto handguns SMGs and carbines are chambered for.

The 9mm Automatic (or 9mm Auto) was a prototype round that to my knowledge no one has taken on commercially. As you noted it has a straight case, as opposed to the very mild taper the original round has. This straight case is a “feature” of dubious value to this particular round which has been around and working effectively for over 100 years in it’s standard form.

Your 365XL is chambered for standard commercial 9mm ammunition and I can basically guarantee you it will run flawlessly with any quality commercial ammo off the shelf. The 365s I’ve fired have been absolutely reliable and above average accurate as just about all SIGs tend to be.

9 Likes

Today I learned there is a 9mm Auto…

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s pretty much the info I was looking for!

1 Like

I think you may be confusing the 9mm Luger, Parabellum et al with the 380 Auto also known as the 9mm Kurtz

The 380 Auto (also 9mm) is a straight walled case (0.373" all the way to the base) while the 9mm Luger is a tapered case (0.391 at the base and 0.380 at the mouth).

That said you can shoot 380 in a 9mm (much like the 38SPL and the 357 Magnum) but it may or may not have enough “ooompff” to operate the gun depending on the platform. There is also a difference in rim diameter 0.374 for 380 and 0.394 in 9mm Luger.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

I think 9mm Auto never reached mass production. It was a prototype made from .38.

9mm

Hmmm. have I just copied @Enzo_T’s post… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The gap in 9mm Luger may cause a problem with feeding from magazine, but simple “mag tap” levels the rounds evenly and no more issues.

You are welcome. BTW you bought a GREAT gun. The 365 is on my short list for acquisitions.

2 Likes

If you’re not worried about it being as small as possible, I’d def. go for the XL. It’s pretty awesome.

I accidentally resurrected an old post about it some days ago…

I just tried my buddies XL and it’s a heck of a gun. I think I’m going to get the smaller one only because what I really need is a tiny 9mm for IWBA carry because my wife wants her Glock 43 back. She loves that gun and I keep stealing it for t-shirt/shorts wear. But in reality, as nice as the Glock is I have to work to shoot it as well as I want when runnin’/gunnin’ and that annoys me. The 365s I’ve shot basically make me look good without ANY effort in my part.

Enjoy your gun, as I said you picked a GREAT one!

3 Likes

@Enzo_T Agreed. My Glock 43 is my all around favorite firearm I possess. I trust my life with it daily. But at the range it’s a bit snappy and wears me down after ten 6rd magazines.

1 Like

Yeah snappy is a good word for it but my issue is that it’s so light and the grip is so tiny it tends to dive nose down on me when I’m working it fast and furious. My Kimber Ultra Raptor is really not much bigger and I shoot it much better, so the 43 only goes out if I’m wearing the most fitted clothing I own. Even under a simple T-shirt I can make my Kimber Ultra Raptor disappear in AIWB carry.

1 Like

Yup, us 1911 guys have issues with he grip angle, hence no love from me.

Cheers,

Craig6

So we are going down the “us” versus “them” route now. Maybe the forum should be split into a “1911” and a “Other Inferior Firearms” forum?

I think the purpose of this thread has been met :slight_smile:

Feel free to start a new thread for any other discussions not related to the title.

Not at all. Glocks are great firearms so are most 1911s, XDs, S&W revolvers, H&Ks, SIGs And many others. Having one “fit” you better or having a preference even based on aesthetics does not mean any others are “inferior”.

I personally find my 1911s easier to shoot but have no issues carrying other platforms at times. My wife has no preference between her 1911 and her Glock 43. My daughter prefers her Shield and her Kahr and I’ll be buying a SIG 365 soon as a light summer gun option. Whatever works for an individual at any given point is the right choice as long as they are proficient with it.

We The People of 1911 do not discuss it… The whole World is 1911 and others… :yum:

@TexasEskimo… have I just questioned you again? :grimacing: :lying_face: :thinking: :kissing_smiling_eyes: :wink:

1 Like

@TexasEskimo it’s not an us vs them thing but I and a great many 1911 guys have to consciously “push” the muzzle down for each shot with a Glock. I love the reliability of a Glock but it doesn’t fit me well and I’m not willing to invest in the training it would take to the detriment of all the other pistols I shoot just to master it. Hence it gets no love from me. I’m not a “brand” guy, I’ve had Pontiac, Nissan, Ford, Doge, Chevy and Toyota. Same holds true for guns, it’s what works, not the badge.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Well said. :+1:

1 Like