.380 vs 9 mm - You Decide

There’s an age-old debate about the best ammo size. Here, lets specifically talk about .380 and 9 mm.

Joel T. Nadler does a great comparison of the two in his blog post:

I’ve got one of each (.380 and 9 mm) - I won’t say what exact firearms I have, but you can probably guess if you’ve seen my other posts throughout the Community.

Which is your preference? State why below!

• 9 mm

0 voters

1 Like

@Dawn. The best ammunition size is the size that you like, can easily afford, and are good at hitting your targets at various distances.

8 Likes

On my EDCs the company has made 9mm conversion sets so I can practice with my gear ‘cheaper.’ Funny thing is, back when 9 was the “new” military round - it was enough; now it’s moreso. (And 380 got expensive.) So now I’ve got three SIGs with 9 and am still net 3 9mm guns… I sold the Uzi.

1 Like

While the .380 is a good round, I prefer the 9mm. Mainly due to the price point. If I was pocket carrying or on ankle, I might consider a .380 for that. Just not a fan of either carry position.

1 Like

Yes Sir James right you are

1 Like

I chose 9mm primarily because I have no experience with anything else. However, it is my firm belief that a .380 will kill you just as dead😳, so, I do not see how you can go wrong with either caliber, IMHO…

5 Likes

9 mm of course…
why? there is a reason:

:upside_down_face: ok, ok… just kidding :wink:

as price-per-round, the 9mm is unbeatable

7 Likes

Of these 2, 9 mm would be my choice. Ammo selection, availability, and price point. Add in the physics of velocity vs expansion, and the 9 would be a better choice for me. If I wanted to carry such a small round😏(sorry, I couldn’t resist😂)

5 Likes

9mm or bigger for me. I have owned .380’s, and might in the future, but I think 9mm is better.

Note: I am not volunteering to be shot with a BB gun either. :grinning:

3 Likes

My wife shoots a 380 so I have one as my back up. It has come a long way but it just doesn’t have the penetration of the 9mm. I think it’s place is inside 5yds.

The 9mm has the penetration I’m ok with and the availability to properly train with a firearm.

3 Likes

But that is me, 2 9’s and a .380 for my wife. I also like the 9x18 and the 7.62x25, both have their place.

1 Like

I have debated this issue and always land on 9mm for two main reasons. First, 9mm is available pretty much anywhere in the world. Second, it is very cost effective.

6 Likes

Just what caliber does a Bad Guy prefer to be shot with? The answer is neither.

In my simple mind it comes down to, which round can I consistently deliver on target? For me, it’s the round I can practice with. Because the cost of .380 is double that of 9mm, I have settled on the 9. 2,600+ rounds over the past couple years, in two different pistols.

Don’t get your underwear wrapped around the axle arguing about the ballistics. Carry the gun you’re comfortable and proficient with.

7 Likes

Great point, @Paul1!!

6 Likes

so… Ask first, then shoot? :wink:

4 Likes

9 is good enough for the FBI it is good enough for me.

the wife likes her 380s and that is better than not having anything

5 Likes

I carry a 9mm away from home, and a .380 at home. The .380 works best in my house coat pocket.:grin:

6 Likes

When you look at them this closely, they look very similar in size, diameter, casing size:

4 Likes

I always felt 9mm was the minimum until I fired my friends .380 which I was surprised at first on the recoil. Same goes for the old school surplus Makarovs I suppose.

I switched to 9mm this year with my Glock 26, I bought my 9mm upper and using EndoMags with my standard AR15 lower and I just finished my Glock 22 conversion to 9mm.

I have the following calibers and plan on keeping it reserved to this

.22lr
9mm
.40SW
.45ACP

.223 rem
5.56mm
.300 Blackout

12Ga

4 Likes

9mm also known as 9x19 and the .380 is 9x17. A 9 will not cycle through a .380 firearm. A .380 may cycle through a 9 mm firearm but it’s not a good idea.
As a policy matter, I know several local PDs that have policy of nothing smaller than .380 for off duty or backup carry.

2 Likes