.380 vs 9 mm - You Decide

A vote like this, is not exactly valid.
A .380 is a viable and capable self defense rd. So is a .32. It is more about shot placement.

While a 9mm will have more power, and most would prefer a 9mm (9x19), a .380 (9x17) is a good choice depending on your planned activity and the clothing and location you will be.

I would have to vote for both, along with .357 and .45

2 Likes

For self defense, anything will work, a .22, .32, .380, 9mm, .38, 10 mm, .357, .45, and .40 even a .41, and some others…
Yes, the Makarov is a good one, as the ammo is actually 9x18. A .380 is a 9x17.

16 ga. is a great shooting hunting shotgun, and self defense, a .410 is also a great little hunter, and we all know 20, 28, and 12 are all good.

There are several good choices, and a .308 is good, as long as you ensure you can also use military issue 7.62 NATO. The military pressures should work in a civilian firearm, but you may not want to fire civilian .308 in a surplus military arm that is designed for 7.62x51. The pressure is higher on the civilian ammunition and the surplus ammo may be used in civilian rifles, but the higher pressure of the .308 commercial ammo may be more than the surplus military rifle can handle… more about chambers and the brass, the headspace…but the pressure can cause a problem.

I have been an advocate for .308, and 7.62 x 51, but am also leaning more towards the 30-06 now.

Of course, it all depends on the purpose each has. You might want to expand your collection with a .30-06

5 Likes

Considering they are both 9mm, they would look similar. They are different in power.

A 9x19 has more power than the .380 (9x17 or 9mm short… 9mm kurz), but the .380 still is a capable self defense rd.

4 Likes

“Just what caliber does a Bad Guy prefer to be shot with?”

The caliber that the good guy has… unless the bad guy surrenders or runs.

3 Likes

I truly appreciate the point you’ve made. And it’s valid in the facts, only determinable by citation of real world events with a large sample and base.

But, what has come about is what people, here, have decided they think they would find acceptable and comfortable with. And in that, the ‘hard fact’ is 97 % vice 3. So, rather than have a scientific demonstration of which payload and cartridge design is “better” we have The People’s Choice based upon availability, price per round, range of selection in product, and inferred sense of comfort in use through practice and familiarity.

And, if someone is looking for what others think and why, we have a bit of useful feedback that might benefit them in their consideration. If they have a chance to rent both calibers in similar sized guns they can decide with additional knowledge about the surrounding considerations too!.

Believe it or not, I’m a lot like you. I have a different system for many different reasons, not the least of which is: what time of year am I in!

2 Likes

Was not an option, but I prefer .38 Superb… :grin:

2 Likes

In Europe, especially in Germany, the police were armed with .32s. But in a shoot off they could group shots extremely well. A lot of surplus .32s are starting to be imported recently and 90% are police trade ins.

What ever you shoot well and accurately, that should be your vote.

2 Likes

Hello @Kevin29, yes you’re correct there are many calibers for defense. I base my choice more on what I have and can shoot well. All my pistols are Glocks so I like keeping that platform among all the calibers I’ve outlined.

I’m good and would rather not add any other types of calibers or go with a different pistol platform.

I’m definitely not looking for any surplus rifles. The .30-06 is not what I’m looking for, I like it but I was teetering on .224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel, and 6.5 Creedmore then decided to keep in simple with the .308

So it boils down to I’m very happy my Glock 26 9mm, for me I don’t see a .380 wanting to be an option for me with the pistols available. Lastly I have multiple 9mm caliber firearms So it just makes sense for me, nothing against the .380

2 Likes

IMHO: .380 is fine, 9mm is better.
The idea is to break contact with .380 can do. 9mm does it a little better.

That Shield EZ is pretty nice.

I carry 9mm: Shield 1.0, G19 g4, and either Dan Wesson or Wilson 1911.

3 Likes

While I prefer the 9mm for my own personal use, I can understand that the 380 is better for others. I will say that the 380 round has come a long way in the past decade, as far as defensive use is concerned. 380 is not as “marginal” as it once was. It’s become cliché, but the best ammo to carry is the one that you are most comfortable with.

6 Likes

Does anyone have an opinion on .380 +P loads or the newer Xtreme Defender/Penetrator bullers?

2 Likes

I have a nice M14, but it is heavy; however it has power and range that’s pretty unmatched among other rifles mentioned. I have a Para P14-45, several 9mm with 17 cap mags, and a Beretta 96. I have a Benelli pump 12 ga, but it has a 27" barrel. I have Mossberg pumps with interchangeable slug and field barrels. I have AR in 5.56 (multi), 300 Blackout, and 7.62x39.
I guess I should make my choices and put them ready?
I’d probably stick with my M14, and keep my sidearms in 9mm for accessibility of ammo. I’d go with my 5.56 for access to ammo and expected reliability.
I’d add one of my proven .22LR rifles or maybe my Henry .22 WMR lever. Since all this is not a load I’ll be loading out with for active open fighting, and it would be laid out or hauled from location to location, maybe I’ll add my hated Keltec PMR 30. I would definitely hang on to my Bond Arms Wicked for a hideout…maybe my old Colt Mustang .380 for an alternative. I’m getting pretty heavy here. But out of all this, I believe I’ve narrowed to 4 main arms and a backup.
Hypothetically speaking that is. I’m a collector, but I can shoot. I’m not afraid to put any collectibles to service if needed. I hope it never happens, but I do recall the communities being overwhelmed by mobs in the recent past.

1 Like

Not sure what just happened. I thought I was posting that last one in response to the preferred load out in case of civil unrest etc.
Oh well.

2 Likes

Preferred carry for me is .380 in places where many other people are, such as church, movies, stores etc… The reason is I believe a .380 with the right ammo should stop many perps, while not be as over penetrating as a 9mm could be. Lee High XD shows excellent tests in extreme penetration while not continuing through a bad guy, with the right placement, into innocents behind or next to as a 9mm has the tendency to do. The 9mm is a great round but I am not comfortable with the possibility of it going through an attacker and continue on to harm someone else. For more open areas, I would opt for the .380 either as a primary or backup item and load the Lee High XP for further penetration than the XD. Of course, for primary it would depend on what I wanted at the time, including, but not limited to the 9mm, .38, .357Mag, .357 SIG, .40, 44, 44Mag, .45, .480 and so on. Out in the woods I sometimes like snake shot with me in those calibers or even pistols in a 22LR or 22WMR(Mag) with that snake shot. However I have found trying the snake shot with semi-auto’s don’t cycle after the first shot so will have to bring a revolver if snake shot is brought, unless I am missing something.

Just some thoughts. Keep your powder dry…

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Kent3!

1 Like

@Kent3 Welcome to the Community Kent. There’s a few great points you have made regarding the .380 caliber

1 Like

Thanks Robert! Pray I never have to find out…

2 Likes

That’s the truth Kent! Bless us all on those words Friend @Kent3

1 Like

I did not even mention out in the woods with shotgun or long gun as the discussion was about pistols. Many possibilities, always. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have both for carry. The .380 gets carried more often as I find it easier to conceal, especially in summer. I will concede the 9 is a bit more powerful round.

As for cost, I can often find .380 for within a couple of cents per round vs 9 (for training rounds). Defensive rounds are definitely more expensive in .380.

3 Likes