60,000 pounds of explosive chemical ammonium nitrate lost in shipping: report

They find Hilary’s emails first

5 Likes

Prediction: Everybody will have completely forgot about it and moved on through 15 new news things by then

6 Likes

My question is, why weren’t periodic checks of the cargo made along the route? With such a volatile cargo you would think there would be checkpoints where inspectors would see if there were any problems. The old 5 “P’s” prevail again!

4 Likes

Who runs the checks? Who do inspectors report to?

3 Likes

It’s the rail road. They have their own inspectors and their own police. They are one of those industries that sits a half a degree outside of normal.

2 Likes

Ummm… I think Alfred E. Numan.

4 Likes

I don’t know, that’s why I asked the question. We don’t know if anyone was assigned to those duties. I think some safety measures should have been followed seeing that precursors for powerful explosives were on the train.

2 Likes

Startling resemblance to “Pothole Pete” Buttigieg except Neuman’s better looking and smarter.

1 Like

Sorry. :rofl::joy::rofl:

“NO YOU’RE NOT!” :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hey, Timing is everything…

2 Likes

Read it again 60,000 POUNDS! I googled and one train rail car can carry up to 220,000 pounds. For easy unloading they have trap doors on the bottom. So if one of the door was ajar then it’s feasible it trickled out along the trip. Particularly since they said the seals were intact.

I think Dyno Nobel was the shipper/producer of the ammonium nitrate.

1 Like

Posting without comments

1 Like

There were no explosives present

1 Like

Did anybody here equate the correlation of the Missing Ammonium nitrate and the fires in the Great White North?
Check out (if you wish too: Starship earth)

Sometimes it’s not a Conspiracy Theory…It’s just a Theory

2 Likes

I don’t have any experience working with ammonia nitrate but don’t think that it would make for the most efficient forest fire starter.

I have assisted in starting several hundred acres of prescribed burns using diesel and gasoline in a drip torch. Seems like it would be much easier to pick up those two ingredients just about anywhere than it would be to steal and then smuggle all that material over the boarder. It also doesn’t take all that much to start really big fires when the conditions are right. The wind and dry fuels do most of the work for you.

6 Likes

That explosion shook our house.

2 Likes