6 Ways You Can Avoid a Gunfight

Never fight a battle if you have nothing to gain. That loud mouth drunk who has beer muscles isnt worth killing or dying over unless he has the intent on doing you real harm. Walk away from those people…but never turn your back to them

3 Likes

You are soooo right! I have an undergrad minor and a Masters in the behavioral sciences. And I spent a decade in executive sales management (primarily real estate). I’m a fan of W Clement Stone, Dale Carnegie, and Zig Ziglar; as well as the work of Briggs Myers, Tieger & Tieger, and Lenone Thomson.

I’ve used the skills and knowledge gained in human behavior many, many times to avoid and/or diffuse imminently violent confrontations…even when in uniform and carrying weapons. But one also needs to have good enough instincts to know when it is likely and unlikely to work. This is why the force continuum is NOT progressive. In other words, our laws (generally) don’t require a person to try lower levels of self-defense before choosing deadly force IF deadly force is appropriate to the circumstances. In many countries, the populace…even cops…are not so fortunate.

3 Likes

I was going over this with a friend yesterday. We who carry have an obligation that whenever possible, we should try to de-escalate confrontations as well as have on our person something between going to the gun like pepper spray which is less lethal.

I WOULD HOPE NO ONE IN THIS FORUM WANTS TO SHOOT ANYONE UNLESS IT IS A LAST RESORT.

2 Likes

If you do, and if Heavens forbid, you have to use your gun – you should expect a question, why you had to resort to the lethal option when you had a non-lethal one. I am not saying you are wrong, but pointing out that for a civilian to have both lethal and non-lethal options may bring out serious legal challenge.

1 Like

Does anyone recall the shooting of an unsub in Nashville 2weeks or so ago. The sheriff"s deputy maced the unsub, and.then Tased her x2 and then unsub still shot the deputy before he finally shot the unsub. That is why I am very hesitant to try all those options.

1. I don’t walk around wearing a vest.

2. I am not as physically capable as I was when I was younger. So I don’t run very fast. So if your at bad breath range we are probably going knives. But only IF I am in fear of grievous bodily harm and or fear of imminent death to myself or my loved ones.

2 Likes

As responsible armed Americans, we all want to get home to our families safe at the end of the day. We all train to avoid bad situations so that we don’t have to defend ourselves and know that lethal force is a last resort.

The only thing we want to put holes in is the paper target at the range. But we train in case we are ever put in a terrible situation where we are in imminent, unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm.

1 Like

Your point Is understandable. Each person has to make their own decision as to when they go to their gun in a situation based on the laws where the reside.

My point is we shouldn’t have a gun as our only resource when there are less lethal options we can have at our disposal. That is why I carry pepper spray, it’s another tool between going to my weapon and it’s a tool effective from distance in most cases.

Of course I train with both.

1 Like

I would like to start out with this, for an Infantry soldier of Uncle Sam Ain’t Release Me Yet program, 33:1 is good odds. Lol

Being serious, I somewhat agree with all but one; the open carry. There has been a few cases of which open carry has cost the carrier their weapon or their live.

If one open carry and is not use to being aware of their surroundings, it becomes more dangerous to open carry. This is why I am 50/50 on my state becoming the 20 state of the union to have some form of permitless/ constitutional carry.

I think but pray it will not happen. But I believe there are going to be so many peoples here going out buying guns because the crime rate in some parts of Tennessee are rising , but many might not be safety conscious. I know, for the south that sound crazy but, I know of many peoples here that knows nothing about firearms.

1 Like

Truth be told the things which helped me in conflicts are, 1) I moved from Chicago 2) I only drink 1 beer or 1 small cocktail before going to bed and this is only once are twice a month believe it or not it’s true. And the third thing that helps me to avoid conflicts or gun play is, since I moved from Chicago ( where I carried illegal most of my life ), I started carrying legally.

My change of lifestyle and surroundings has somewhat allowed me to relax my Chicago ways of growing up in the projects/hoods of the big city.

2 Likes

1 Like

Another good is 'Im ok your ok"

I am of an older age and I have experienced some bad situations. Working at a convenience store in Los Angeles has taught me about reading the eyes and how to respond to angry people to put them at ease, usually! When I was at the store by my self I would not go outside to the garbage dumpster. 1. Avoid. If you see trouble or feel unsafe just avoid it. When people come into the store I would greet them and make eye contact. 2. Let them know you are alert and not a victom. All in all, I have avoided ever having to defend myself with a gun. Having the awareness of my surroundings and what is going on around me has preventing me my getting my bum kicked. I have found out at a younger age that getting into a fight gets you hurt and causes pain and has never solved anything. Not saying I will not fight but, I will avoid a pointless fight that I can avoid and do not need in my life.

3 Likes

Situational awareness, knowledge of your surroundings, reading people, are all good ways to avoid gun fights. Agree 100 with @Todd30. Always avoid if possible.

2 Likes