6 Ways You Can Avoid a Gunfight

@Johnnyq60, go search it in YouTube.

In sum, the young man mother begs her son not to take his gun into town that he may avoid a gun fight.

If I recall properly, the “son” dies for lack of listening to her but whose to blame, I would not have listened either.

2 Likes

Obviously the first rule is not to be there.
The second is to not escalate the situation and evade.
The third is to think of the simple way out and escape.
The fourth is to not get cornered, know your area/surroundings.
The fifth is to present a target they don’t want to deal with, meet their eyes and face the music.
The final solution is overwhelming violence without compromise, someone will live today, let it be you.

There are times for Rooster Cogburn and there are times for John Wick, know the difference but once the decision is made, you own it and follow it through without hesitation.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Was living in Panama and was licensed for conceal carry. Myself, and two others are walking thru a neighborhood in broad daylight when 3 guys pop out of an alley in front of us. One had his hands at waist height, palms up, showing that he is holding a rather large switchblade. It was understood that they were robbing us. I was carrying IWB at mid back. Reached back as if getting wallet, drew weapon and mimicked his stance, arms down, palms up to show I had a gun. He looked me straight in the eye, got a a wry little smile on his face and nodded his head as if to say nice move. Folded his blade and they backed back into the alley and we went on our way. It was surreal, not a word was spoken throughout the whole ordeal and it lasted all of couple of minutes. Call it intuition but I knew that in that instance deterrence would solve the problem.

7 Likes

Me too, but it’s getting pretty darned lonely. :unamused:

8 Likes

Don45

Predators are looking for easy prey not a fight. Good story that illustrates the power of deterrence.

5 Likes

-Hey amigo! Would you like to buy this custom-made large switchblade?
-I have no money, but will trade it for my gun
-No, the gun is too expensive, I would not be taking advantage of a tourist like this. Have a nice day!
-You too!

4 Likes

One point I don’t see mentioned here is that depending on your situational awareness, you may only have 2-6 seconds to get through that decision tree…so don’t dally.

5 Likes

Don 45 hit the nail on the head, “predators are looking for easy prey not a fight” once you realize that the decision on best course of action is predetermined.

6 Likes

My wife wanted me to add how she avoid a gunfight.
She said “Never leave the house!”. :unamused:
I told her “not to many people are hobbits like you.”
Lord of the rings is her favorite. Ugh.

4 Likes

Justin47

I spent about 12 years living and working in our National Parks and National Forests. If I am honest half of why I did that was to avoid the need to use violence. So your wife’s strategy is solid if you live somewhere that has not seen a murder since 1997 which I did for a couple years then the odds of you getting in a gun fight are pretty dam small.

Now I live in a city that has someone shot at once a week. So now I carry a gun 80 % of the time. I miss living in nature sometimes it was safer and more peaceful.

Lord of the Rings is great btw.

4 Likes

Our town has not seen murder since 1992. It’s a little town of 300 or less. I carrie 100 percent outside of my home because I go to big cities all the time. But to tell the truth, I hate having to. I don’t dislike guns. It more about feeling unsafe, that’s why I carrie. I can walk around my town and watch my kids play. Breath easy. As soon as I leave this little town. I am in defense mode. I hate having to do that.

You say Lord of the rings is great, but you don’t have to deal with a monthly Marathon starting at The Hobbit movies all the way through the Lord of the rings. :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

Georgia laws states it very clearly. A person can protect themselves or a third party from grievous harm- death- or protecting their safety if a person is attacking.
The counter to that goes like this : If a person instigates- initiates- provokes- brings cause that aggressive actions become necessary then that person doing so loses right to defend their self or third party.
It goes further that intimidation / brandishing in a threatening manner is also a punishable offense.
Disclaimer:
I am not a lawyer nor a legal spokesperson. Read the carry laws and direct questions to legal professionals.

2 Likes

I just confidently tell the other guy that mine’s bigger :smirk:

2 Likes

Sorry, offtopic. I didnt read these books in my teen years, but rather, as an adult,
and after I saw the 1st movie. It was a surprise to find out how violent the little hobbits were, one wrong word, and he reaches for the blade! I also was surprized how many historical names Tolkien had used. Bravlin, Radhagast, Isildur were all real people.

4 Likes

In the attempt to NOT use your firearm. Read good “people skills” books. I have used them many times in rough and dangerous situations (before I could carry).
I hope I’m not stepping over any lines but here are a few good books that you can use to train your mind and your confidence in de-escalating potentially dangerous encounters. Again, I have used them many times:
“Skill With People” -Les Giblin
“How To Have Confidence and Power” -Les Giblin
“Be A People Person” -John Maxwell
I read these for business study but the practical use in life is and has been very effective in dealing with individuals in bad circumstances.
Having said that, now I’m able to carry, with lots of training and continued training… I use those techniques and support them with my ability to defend myself or others should a situation go south.
I hope that helps.

4 Likes

As Jon Correia would say, “read the book, Verbal Judo”.

3 Likes

Don’t take your guns to town Son ( Billy) Don’t take your Guns to town Son.
Johnny Cash
Song can be found on 3 separate Essential Albums.

4 Likes

I love this topic! As one who has carried for many years, I am humbled by the fact that I have never had to use my weapon against another human being. My specialty, as I stated before, is de-escalation, but I am more than aware that the need to use my weapon can come crashing in at any time. de-escalation is not always possible.
I appreciate the steps presented here to avoid a gun fight, unless all else fails. In general, I avoid bad, and potentially dangerous situations, yet, I am constantly aware of my surroundings, and situations taking place therein. Ya just never know.
Awareness does help in guaging what could happen in even the best environments, because the target of violence may not be us, but another person being threatened.
Again, the greatest tools in our “tactical box” are awareness, and wisdom.

5 Likes

I also like zcraig6’s comments.

3 Likes

That was adorable, brother

2 Likes