Your first gun

What was the first gun you ever purchased do you still own it would you buy it again or was it a big mistake
Mine was a Hi-point 9mm almost 12 years ago and i do still own it I wouldn’t call it a mistake but i also wouldn’t buy it again its hard to let go of your first and it also showed me every thing a handgun shouldn’t be

7 Likes

My first gun I saved for back when I was 12 years old. It was a Ruger 10/22 and I still have it and still shoot it. My first handgun? That was a Glock 30 I bought on my 21st birthday. I still have that and still carry it occasionally.

4 Likes

A Ruger GP100, in .357 magnum. Yes I still have it. It’s my favorite of the guns I own.

7 Likes

Everyone should own at least one of those!

4 Likes

While my dad and brother used to go hunting when I was growing up, I never had any interest. Got into it back in 2012. first purchase was actually two, an Italy INOX 92FS and a Ruger Mark III Hunter. I still have them both. A great set to start wtih. Both beautiful and accurate. The .22 is cheap to shoot and everyone who shoots it wants one. The 92 is a classic that comes in many variations, but I still like this one the best.

(I lied, it was a threesome, and the third has been sold and was a mistake of sorts. It was a great training gun-hard to master-but everyone hated shooting it. A Beretta PX4 SC.)

2 Likes

Great question - after few weeks - this thread may be a good source of knowledge for first time buyers. :+1:

• Very First - before the real one (I was waiting for my FOID) - Beretta APX BB .177 - great training tool, still have it.
  • Real first - Walther PPQ - I will never regret this purchase. It is one of the best striker fired handguns. I gave it to my son and bought hammered fired handgun to have more flexibility with dry fire practices.
2 Likes

Well, technically my first was an old .22 Czech military training rifle… but we’ll say my Ruger Security-9 Compact was my first handgun and is my only for now. Though, of course I am hooked and want to find more as some are really interesting to me. I can’t speak to if it were a mistake quite yet, though what I WILL say, is I purchased one that has been proven to be reliable and straight forward. I’ve found that it is underwhelming in the customization department but that has forced me to focus on the important things of the firearm, practice with what I have, and know it will always fire when I need it to.

3 Likes

My first was my G23 bought around ten years ago, still have it. I’m finding myself admiring and pining over the hardware in the “Let’s see your new gun!” thread, so I will eventually get another. For the interim, my new pew pew funds are being earmarked for ammunition to feed what I have…unless something breaks, then all bets are off. :smirk:

3 Likes

If you do not count the red rider bb gun. Stevens 30-30 bolt action. I had some good deer hunting with it!
Smith and Wesson .357 magnum Model 66.

4 Likes

1st. Colt LE 6920 Magpul setup…Yes I jumped right into the pool

2 Likes

Colt king cobra, purchased 1991, 6" stainless.

3 Likes

Collecting Snakes James322? :smiley:

My first gun is the one I own now, newly purchased S&W M&P 9mm shield and I love it. After this weekend, I’ll have right at 500 rounds put through it without a single misfire. I currently have an S&W M&P 15 sports 2 on lay a away and am very excited about this purchase and as with my pistol, I will be putting some serious rounds through it to learn more and get a feel for the firearm. I just recently joined USCCA as well as of 15th July 2020 and am also very excited about this organization and what I can learn and how my overall interest in firearms will evolve to a new level.

8 Likes

I used the current situation to convince my wife that we needed to purchase a pistol for defense, and bought a Glock 48. Now five pistols and a pistol caliber carbine later, my wife loves going to the range!!!

2 Likes

I wasn’t planning on buying a gun, any gun, until I saw a LGS advertisement for a Hi-Point pistol. The price attracted me, under $200.
When I went to the store, there were guns on sale that week and one of them was a two-tone Ruger SR9C. It was love at first sight. I still have it and it introduced my family to gun ownership and 2A.

Thanks, Hi-Point! While I no longer plan to buy its pistol, I still highly consider buying a 995 carbine.

2 Likes

@James382 , welcome to the community!
Not letting a crisis go to waste :wink:
Does your PCC use your Glock mags?

2 Likes

M&P Shield 2.0 and Springfield XDS mod2, both in 9mm and bought at the same time. While I love how easy the XDS is to operate (slide is easy to pull, trigger is solid, and stays VERY clean after shooting), that Shield is something. The Shield’s trigger is very light to the touch after reset, and surprisingly being lighter than the XDS, super easy to bring back on target. My groupings with the Shield are almost always tighter than the XDS. That includes shooting primary hand, off hand, and one handed with both hands. Only knock is that it is a Performance Center, so the barrel is ported, which causes it to get pretty dirty while shooting. I love both of them, but I bought them with intent of the XDS being my primary, and the Shield being my wife’s. She actually likes the XDS better so we swapped.

3 Likes

It does I have Ruger PC9

1 Like

1903A3 Smith & Corona in 1984 and so began my military firearms collection.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

First firearm was a Ruger 10/22. a year or two later I picked up a S&W 1006. I still have and really enjoy both. Nowadays, I consider ease of finding new replacement parts as a factor during purchase, as it’s hard to find replacement parts for the 1006… not that it needs any. As an example, as of this date, the factory magazines for the 1006 are going for over $100 on ebay and gunbroker.

3 Likes