What was your first shot like pistol?

I was working in the business and decided to get a glock17 compinsated 9mm. Yes i still have it no i dont want to sell it lol… Went to the range after talking to alot of people with my best friend that also had pistols. I remember putting the clip in concerned all about safety first. Put the target out about 3 yards. I didnt worry about aim i just pointed it at the targets center and after about 7 seconds held tight and bang… Well that wasnt to bad… Now i know the feeling… Lets really aim and see what i can do. After that first shot, here i am 25 years later. I use that same method with whoever i take. Just put target out a short distance point at middle and get that shot off. After that they look at me like thats it? Yep thats it.

7 Likes

Mine was a semiauto in the early 90s. I can’t remember make, model, or caliber, but I do know I liked it and wanted to do more if it. I steal the Tom cruise line from days of thunder all the time, but alter it a bit, “they put a pistol in my hand and told me to shoot.” I fell in love with it and have been shooting ever since.

4 Likes

My first shot was hunting with cousins in Michigan. We were out around 5am with
6in of new snow. I was carrying a Winchester lever action 30.30 and it felt like a
icicle. Long story short, brought it up and took aim - squeezed the trigger and at
the same instant the deer jumped and ran. The shot missed, lived to hunt another
day. Don’t know what I was expecting, remember the 30.30 kicking and I had it
pressed to my shoulder and hanging on tight. That started the journey now 50
years later. Mike :boom:

4 Likes

I’m sure that I shot a little growing up but I never got into it. I got my CCL back in 2012 with a .22lr rental. I honestly don’t remember what it was, but a Mark II/III seems likely.

4 Likes

1980’s, High School. Behind the Iron Curtain…
As students, we were visiting local Airborne Division and were allowed to shoot KBKS rifle. That was something I could never forget.
Handguns were forbidden for public. Only officers were carrying them.

Now I can carry whatever I want… after thirty-something years… :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thats pretty sweet…

3 Likes

LOL I was 14 years old living in the Bronx NYC - I was working in a supermarket trying to earn some money , I was in the basement unloading a truck of goods and found what seemed to me a rifle - I at that time had never even seen a real gun except on TV-

so I put a can at the end of the basement - had to be nearly a 100 feet,. I took aim, and notice wow this has two triggers cool. I pulled the trigger and the next thing i remember was a medic above me asking me if i was ok… I notice also blood all over the place. I ask what had happen - what i thought was a rifle was a double barrel shotgun - When I pulled both Triggers the recoil knocked me out and broke my nose, not to mention I clearly missed my target but blasted a whole into the ceiling

11 Likes

Wow… Thats a good one …

1 Like

I was about 8 or 9 when one of the neighbors came over with a semi-auto .22 cal. pistol.
The adults took turns shooting and one asked if I wanted to try it. Well Duhhh!
I had already shot .22 rifles so I understood how to aim. One shell was chamdered and the gun was handed to me and I shot like the adults, one handed and sideways. My hand was shaking and I was catching crap but when the gun went off the can jumped and rolled away, I had hit it dead center at 15 feet. Ha, Take that. :wink:

7 Likes

Wow! Haven’t relived this story in many years. I was at the local conservation club where my father was a member. They had an outdoor range that is still there. I was perched at the fifty yd line bench getting the snot kicked out of me shooting a 1903 springfield rifle. I was only 7 or 8 at the time so it was really punishing me. Well a couple of police officers had been watching and commented that I handled the rifle well. They then asked if we minded if they got some quick pistol practice in and my father obliged. As I watched the two men shoot I asked my dad if he thought that they would allow me to shoot one of their pistols. He replied he didn’t know but why don’t you just ask them. Well i asked and they each allowed me two rounds from their personal duty weapons. One was a nickel plated S&W .38 and the other was also a .38 blued and for the life of me don’t know what make it was. Both weapons being revolvers by the way. This was 1972 or 73. Have been shooting anything I can get my hands on since.

7 Likes
  1. Smith Wesson 645.
    Me and Sonny Crockett… Haha.

Large gun. Big boom. Lots of fun. Ammo was probably cheaper then as I don’t remember thinking about cost much. I do remember that it had a terrible gritty DA first shot, with SA follow up trigger with lots of take up, which was difficult to stay smooth with.

4 Likes

The first time I shot a pistol was the first time I shot a gun of any kind. My dad was popping off a few for target practice with a little .22 pistol he kept in his truck, and as usual, I was there with him in the back yard. I asked to shoot too, during a reload, probably. He knelt down beside me and took me thru my first gun safety lesson. I was 5 or 6 years old. Then he helped me shoot my first few shots, and knelt beside me as I took my first solo shots. We emptied a pretty full box of cartridges that morning and I’ve loved guns and shooting ever since, thanks to my dad.

9 Likes

My first shot was a Colt Government Model in .380. Went to the range with everything locked in the trunk feeling somewhat like a criminal. I popped off a box of 50 rounds. It felt like a teenage boy seeing a girls breast for the first time!

Some things never change!

10 Likes

@MikeBKY, so what is the real story? Did you shoot first before seeing boobs, or vice-versa? :thinking: :wink:

3 Likes

Please don’t do this…!!!
My dad was not a hunter, and he only had a 1 shot .22 he had hidden. I didn’t have any training what so ever. I may have been 12 or 13 years old. I was in my dad’s shop, found a shot gun shell, and attempted to strap it in a vise, and hit the primer with a punch. I decided to examine the shell more closely, and to my amazement there was small bb’s. Hmmm, I thought I should open the end and dump out the bb’s. Back to the vise with a punch and hammer. About the same time the small bang went off, dad came around the corner and wanted to know what I was doing. Typical response " I don’t know" may have been the answer. When he left, the next victim was a long gun shell. Since I was being safe, I removed the projectile to examine what was inside. Of course the powder spilled out. I strapped the shell in the vise again, hammer and punch in hand. Dad came around the corner again. My novel idea diminished. I always wondered, but never again tried to fire a shell from the vise.

6 Likes

The real story is I do use readers up close!

3 Likes

Mike, sometimes I cant find the “cheaters.” Then I have to remove a contact, then I cant find the contact case, then I ask the mrs.

3 Likes

As a kid I’d had the opportunity to shoot clays with .22 shotshells at Boy Scout camp, and while my father mentioned he loved shooting he didn’t believe in gun ownership (which I teased him about almost to the day he died), so this was not going to become a real hobby. I think I did shoot a .22 rifle at some point, but can’t recall for what. When my wife and I moved to Colorado we learned that a friend out here and her boyfriend were avid shooters. The boyfriend offered to take us shooting and he brought along an array of handguns. The first shot was from a Ruger MK2. Pretty neat, but I would say it no more than met my expectations. I don’t recall what was next, all I remember is shooting the Colt 1911 (in .45ACP of course). The word “addiction” comes to mind. Within a couple of months I had my USPSA/IPSC safety card and was shooting my first match.

5 Likes

My first shot on a pistol was at an Army combat pistol qualification range. No training. I passed, but it made me realize how much I had to learn.

5 Likes

My first shot was with a Glock 17 as well. I was taking the city’s Citizen’s Academy and the police officers took us to the quarry where they shoot.

They had a bunch of barrels lined up with Glocks on each of them. We were about 10 feet from the target. I did not like it.

The sergeant came over and cleared his Sig 229 on the barrel aimed down range. He said, try this instead. I loaded the gun with him standing at my 4:00 and talking me through the entire process. I can still hear his voice every time I am focused on my trigger work, “squeeze, squeeze, squeeze.” And the gun “went off” and it was an amazing shot! (We don’t use the term squeeze in our USCCA training, but you get the point.)

I’ve be in love with Sigs ever since.

5 Likes