What was your first shot like pistol?

@Dawn, did you actually shot the Glock, or you just did not like it? I’m asking not to start another anti-Glock crusade, but I’m curious as another not Glock shooter.

2 Likes

I shot a full magazine from it the first time I shot. Didn’t enjoy it as it just didn’t feel good in my hand.

That’s nothing against Glocks, they’re good guns. I just don’t care for how they feel. It’s kinda like I’d rather drive a Toyota than a Ford car and a Ford truck rather than a Toyota truck. Personal preference. :smiley:

7 Likes

I’m fond of telling folks that the best chance of me hitting something with a Glock is if I throw it… They also just don’t suit me. I have the opposite experience with Beretta/Walther/Sig/HK.

6 Likes

This is exactly what all my none Glock colleagues are telling.
On the other hand it’s great that this handgun exists. Every hand is different. My younger son shoots better with Glock… but he doesn’t know it yet :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

My first handgun was a Star in 9mm Largo. It was nice and forgiving. In 1974 I bought my second one, a Smith & Wesson Model 28. This was not as kind, but it was certainly full of business - enough.357 Magnum business for my night bank deposits. FYI, I still have both.

4 Likes

Smith & Wesson model 15 (.38) in the USAF. I was given the opportunity to receive additional training in my flight for security reasons. It was 1974.
First one I owned was a Browning High-Power (9mm).

5 Likes

Your first experience with guns and boobs were totally different than mine. :joy:

3 Likes

I think I must have been a little older, and was visiting with a friend of mine. His Dad and older brother took us out to where we could shoot at cans and bottles. The brother had a .22 pistol and was shooting that while the rest of us were shooting rifles. I had never shot a pistol so they gave me the opportunity to try it. I think I wobbled all over the place but I did put the shot downrange somewhere. I also remember being totally unprepared for the recoil and the gun nearly jumped out of my hand. that had to be 60 years ago, or so and I hadn’t shot a pistol until I finally got my own in '09 or '10. Oops, correction. When I was in the AF an officer I knew took me out to shoot .22 pistols. He had several including .22 magnum, and that was a really fun day. That would have been fairly early 1968.

4 Likes

Yep, me too. The M1911A1, 45ACP. Later, as an aviator, we were issued a Smith&Wesson revolver in .38 Special. That was back in the early 90s. We got the Beretta M9 a few years later.

2 Likes

Ruger Blackhawk. I was pretty young but remember struggling with the muzzle flip of the 357 mag with smooth grip. My dad was coaching me. Good memory.

3 Likes

The first time I fired a handgun was as a kid with my dad and his shiny engraved .25 Colt. I had fired shotguns and rifles and owned a .22 caliber air gun, but this was my first side arm.
The first handgun I bought for myself was a Ruger .44 magnum. Then I picked up several assorted handguns.

3 Likes

First handgun fired was my Dad’s WW II 1911A1 at 6 or 7 years old. I now own some.

7 Likes

I was 14, back in 1962, when my parents bought a farm. I found a Remington bolt action single shot 22 rifle, the previous owner had left in a closet. When no one else was home I decided to give it a try. Having heard that guns had a kick to them, I leaned my back against the garage wall to prevent myself from being knocked down by the kick. Fortunately, I wasn’t firing anything with a real kick or I might have broken my shoulder. I became very proficient with that iron post sight and could snap corn stalks at more than 100 yards. Sorry I traded it for something else. I’ve never again been so accurate with another open sight gun.

4 Likes