Yikes! Thoughts?

If you’ll recall, this is what I stated:

And this statement was based on the .33 second clip that the Op posted at the top of this thread. In that video alone, being grainy as I’ve stated multiple times, it is not clear as to whether the perp was still in possession of the gun. From that vantage point or disadvantage it is not clear as to whether he still poses a threat. And my statement, again, was based solely on the video posted at the top.

However, I have since, had opportunity to view a much lengthier and clearer video of the incident where it is clearly seen that the gun was dislodged from the perp, and I can now agree that the shooting should have stopped, not when the perp went down, but when he was no longer in possession of that firearm. Because the perp at this point no longer had means. Further, it is clearly seen that the defender even retrieved the firearm, and therefore, no more shooting was necessary. And the defender now, will have to convince Judge and Jury of his reason for doing so. He needs a good Attorney, and that is perhaps why he left the scene, too!

3 Likes

Neither do I, but I know that using a firearm against a person or animal is potentially lethal. As a pacifist (was?), I never wanted to harm anyone. The idea of carrying a firearm to use against someone knowing it was lethal was something I never could do before. Someone claiming they don’t have the mindset to kill, but carries a firearm that can kill, to me is counterintuitive.

Mentally I am prepared for harming/killing a lethal threat because I know shooting an assailant can result in that person’s death. Stating I mentally cannot kill does not work in that scenario. That does not in any way mean I want that person dead, just that using lethal force can result in that. How then, can one not have the mindset to kill?

3 Likes

Never thought you were, only how can one use a firearm without being mentally prepared for the possible lethal outcome? I didn’t carry previously for that reason - I never could imagine harming, let alone killing someone. It took a lot of introspection, thought and discussions with a relative that was a LEO, to get past that - be mentally prepared to harm/kill to defend self and family.

2 Likes

To me the intent is what is important and what keeps my conscience clear. Killing is a necessity in life. We cannot eat if we do not kill first. The intent is to kill to sustain life. If I can’t sustain life without killing all the better. I carry a gun to save lives but if someone has to die I would rather it not be the innocent.

5 Likes

It would be inhumane to eat food that’s still alive. :laughing:

6 Likes

In the video that @Craig_AR shared in the parallel topic, they explain that Texas law allows use of lethal force to stop an armed robbery. Until I heard that this afternoon, I thought the first shot in the back could be enough to press charges. That helped clarify the scenario to me.

2 Likes

That is why I pay the USCCA for representation

7 Likes

I would say he’s not a threat whenever he is in the coroners body bag

3 Likes

Um, I’m not clear as to your post now, sorry. You added two fragments of replies/responses post my latter response. That’s where I’m not clear.

2 Likes

Just sharing info I didn’t have yesterday. All of us here had a lot of discussion about shooting the robber in the back.

4 Likes

Biggest problem I see is shot selection and wasted ammo.Just shoot him in the head with the first shot…threat neutralized…no wasted ammo…no further drama.

3 Likes

I think that is a bit overkill. Pun intended

3 Likes

Real life one shot headshots on a moving armed target might not be the easiest thing. All of the training I’ve taken suggest the primary aim point be high center mass

10 Likes

Head neck,and groin are the shots I go for

3 Likes

Just because it looked like he was going to exit the premises doesn’t mean he could not have stopped and continue to be a threat. The reason I make this statement is because in 1985 while I was eating in a McDonalds 4 males came in armed with shotguns and pistols and 1 went to the register and asked the girl to empty out all the registers. As they were exiting to flee the premises one of them came back and cocked the shotgun and asked the girl for some food for him and his accomplices. At the time this place was crowded, and they didn’t even pay attention to the customers in the premises. they got their food and then they left.

6 Likes

At the range I’m seeing in that video…with his back turned.I could make that shot easily.Be more of a challenge if he had a real gun and was facing me.I practice head shots alot.

3 Likes

Fhe reason I said head,neck groin is that the advent of body armor are easily attainable is for the change from center body shots to the above

3 Likes

Be more of a challenge if it was a real gun? That makes it sounds like you’d shoot him in the head knowing he was unarmed

Do you practice headshots on moving targets?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Was referring to what I saw in the video…which is what we were discussing right?I won’t shoot anyone in the back to start with…if I knew they weren’t armed…oh hell no.And yea I shoot moving targets all the time…I’m not trying to start any crap with you.

2 Likes