YES, this is a concern

Insurance is always a bit of a gamble…
Will a covered event occur?
Will I live through a covered event?
Will they pay?
Will they even be solvent through the covered period?

Some insurance companies advertise based on the abundance of paid claims or even the obscurity of past events paid out on.

I believe a key factor in the question being debated (what if they ask for their/my money back) is who picked the attorney? If I can use any attorney I want, then if the attorney doesnt perform well I have no one to blame but myself.
If the attorney selected must be an ‘in network’ attorney then there could be a presumed culpability, and at the extreme a self intrest in the case being lost, on the insurer’s part.

Personally I would get more comfort from a balance sheet than a non-binding interpretation of policy from a non-officer of the company. Revenue in versus cash out for paid claims. But even that is not cut and dry due to there being other member benefits than just the insurance.

1 Like

Are we not paying for self defence coverage PERIOD , or is coverage determined by a governing body that can say, at there discreation , Nope You Aren’t Covered? Please clarify are we 100% covered or not!

1 Like

I believe we are initially covered…as in an earlier discussion, if you accept a plea bargain or found guilty the USCCA can sue you to get the money back.

4 Likes

And, I think I recall in that other thread… if it is determined you committed an intentional criminal act, they will withhold any coverage as they can not cover criminal acts.

Not sure who determines that though.

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother @Thomas252 and you are in the right place at the right time.

@Thomas252 The best answer we have received is " MAYBE ". Your case will be scrupulously reviewed by the Crisis Team and then an Attorney I am sure. Read the fine print on the contract and or call
1-800-647-9779 and your questions will be answered. :+1:

Will the USCCA coverage apply

This is a previous conversation we had on this topic.

2 Likes

You are covered for any lawful use of self defense, with any lawful weapon in all 50 states and US Territories. The USCCA does not decide your guilt or innocence, that’s for the legal system to decide.

6 Likes

Somebody started a thread in a FB group about the USCCA going for reimbursement of fees if you’re found guilty or even plea to a lesser charge.

If the USCCA reviews the details of the case and decides go take on the risk of litigating, don’t they (USCCA) then take on the possible risk of losing? What is the reality of this happening and how often does it happen?

1 Like

Here is the response from “customer service” when I asked for a response from Tim Schmitt (clear as mud):

Hello Danny,

It is true that the Self-Defense Liability Policy issued to and held by the USCCA includes a condition allowing for Recovery and Recoupment. It also specifically excludes coverage for criminal acts. The recovery and recoupment provision gives the insurance company the ability to recoup amounts paid in the event an insured was convicted of a criminal act.

Why? Because insurers are generally prohibited from providing coverage for intentional criminal acts. Thus, the insurance company cannot and will not provide coverage for criminal acts.

I think all responsibly armed Americans would agree that if what was initially presented as a lawful act of self-defense turned out to be a black and white first-degree murder, the insurance company should be able to recoup payments.

I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions, please let me know. Have a great day and thanks for being part of the USCCA.

Mike P
Customer Engagement Manager
Support@uscca.com
877-677-1919

This is the response from our resident attorney, @MikeBKY:

I do have a few things to say about this post and what is/has been happening over the past several months.

First, with respect to Attorneys On Retainer. When you join their “Self Protection Option” you are basically purchasing a prepaid legal program for self defense in Arizona and Hawaii. You will not pay any legal fees for your defense “where self defense is reasonably claimed”, however, you will be responsible for all other costs, expenses and fees, including expert fees and for paying your bail bond. Is it a good deal? Maybe. Just remember, other costs and fees can meet or exceed your attorney fees depending on the actual case. And, assuming you win or take a plea, you will still be facing the civil suit against you at the their low rate of not more than $175 an hour, along with additional costs, expenses and fees and no indemnification should you lose or decide to settle. Here is the actual policy language in question:

I. Recovery or Recoupment
We shall have the right to seek recovery or recoupment from an “insured” the amount of any payments made
to, for , or on behalf of the “insured”, including payments made to third parties, when any of the following
occurs:

The “occurrence” or “covered legal liability” that gave rise to a “claim” results in the “conviction” of
    the “insured” who alleged an “act of self-defense”; or
    We paid “defense expenses” on behalf of an “insured” for the defense or investigation of a “law
    enforcement inquiry” or legal proceeding in which no “claim” for “damages” is made against the
    “insured” when such inquiry or proceeding arises from an “occurrence” or “covered legal liability” and
    such “law enforcement inquiry” or legal proceeding results in the conviction of the “insured”; or
    It is determined that we made payments to, for, or on behalf of the “insured” for matters not covered
    by this Policy or are otherwise prohibited by applicable law.

Second, at some point this year, between April 29, 2020, and the last month or so, the “self defense protection” was moved from the member agreement and was replaced with the current “self defense liability coverage form” underwritten by Universal Fire and Casualty Insurance Company. My assumption is that an insurance company is being utilized to resolve issues with several states, including Washington and New York, that have accused USCCA of being an insurer not authorized by those states to sell or offer insurance products.

Based on the language, I agree that we need to inquire as to what would cause the company to seek recoupment. As mentioned in the video, taking a plea of disorderly conduct in place of a capital murder would be hard for anyone to resist, and almost every attorney would likely recommend accepting such an offer. I do not know if that would trigger recoupment or not.

What I can say with relative certainty, insurance companies are generally reluctant to seek recoupment from their insured, although every insurance policy I have ever read, and I have read many, have some type of recoupment clause. Companies are worried that their efforts to recoup will be counter productive because of the bad press they receive and they also realize that trying to get that $1,000,000 that was spent in defending and paying a judgment is near impossible.

Just my 2 cents!

2 Likes

So reading between the lines and paraphrasing from an alternate perspective of the response you received:

Insurers are generally prohibited from providing coverage for intentional criminal acts

The prohibition would be on intentionally breaking the law (generally), would it not?

However, we reserve the right of recoupment for any guilty conviction (even though many may not address intent)

Even this, however, should not be a show stopper since it could work out great IF you’re found innocent.

1 Like

At some point in 2020, USCCA brought Universal Fire and Casualty Insurance Company into the picture to provide the legal/financial protection that we receive as a benefit of our membership.
General insurance law makes it relatively difficult for insurers to deny coverage. Under the law of most states, an insurer is required to provide coverage if there is any reasonable claim that the occurrence will fall within the terms of the policy.
It would seem pretty obvious that if you broke into a person’s home and you returned fire at the homeowner, that it would not be considered self defense for the intruder and the insurer would not provide a defense but would likely for the homeowner, assuming both were with USCCA. On the other hand, if you ran from the scene and the homeowner came chasing and shot at you and you returned fire the homeowner should not receive coverage but you should.

At the beginning of a claim, every insurer does a basic analysis of whether there was an occurrence that would trigger coverage. The UFCIC policy defines (below) what is covered based on their definitions starting with “occurrence”. The difficult part of what is going on with recoupment is the “conviction.” The term crime is not defined so, under Kentucky law, it would look to Kentucky’s definition of “crime” which is a felony or misdemeanor. My concerns are what if the crime is not directly related to the act of self defense or, as I and others have is compromised in a plea agreement or anything less than a full acquittal?

A. “Act of self-defense” means the act of defending one’s person or others by the actual or threatened use of a
firearm, or other weapon, that is “legally possessed”, against an unlawful, unprovoked, and imminent threat
of death or serious bodily harm by an aggressor, but only if: (a) any force used is both reasonable under the
circumstances and proportionate to the threat; and (b) the act is permitted by applicable law.

D. “Conviction” means the entry by a trial court of an adjudication, judgment, order or ruling finding a party guilty
of a crime whether following a plea of nolo contendere, a plea of guilty, a criminal trial, a judicial determination,
or any other similar mechanism or procedure.

N. “Legally possessed” means the insured’s possession of the firearm or other weapon is in compliance with 18
U.S.C. § 922, or other applicable federal law.

P. “Occurrence” means the use of a “legally possessed” firearm or other “legally possessed” weapon in an “act
of self-defense” by the insured.

4 Likes

Does the coverage include the civil lawsuit too?
Thank you,

1 Like

If an incident is determined to not be self-defense, the civil coverage portion of the USCCA membership would not apply as it was not a self-defense incident.

I’m merging this with the thread being referenced above as they are asking the same questions and have been answered in the other thread.

1 Like

I meant if it was self-defense, so it is a yes. Thank you again.

1 Like

I guess my biggest concern would be due to living in a liberal state (NV is mini-Calif) that a prosecutor could push to make an example out of any law-abiding gun owner that legally defends their selves and offers a plea deal down to a misdemeanor. What would happen if the USCCA member on defense took the plea because they felt prosecutor and even the jury (again liberal state) were looking to push for a felony?

The other concern that one guy in the group had was that it “disincentives” USCCA to try and win the case because they can turn around and sue the USCCA member if they lose. I get his point as it does seem to carry a conflict of interest but I’m sure everybody is a professional here and that would happen.

1 Like

You can see all of the membership details on this page:

www.uscca.com/membership

Also, you can find a lot of information when you review USCCA Membership Agreement. and the Self-Defense Liability Policy.

Let us know if you have any questions! :smiley:

1 Like

there seems to be a lot of “non-answers” from USCCA Moderator.

1 Like

@Danny28 - I disagree with you completely here. The moderator has been answering questions all along. That you don’t like the answers doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

3 Likes

Though I have a great deal of respect for you and the wisdom you have. Its not that I don’t like the answers… I take offense at your unjust judgment. Moderator continues to point back to the letters in the agreement. Those are not answers, those are smoke-screens. What many of us are looking for is --“If I am in a self-defense situation and I get a bad lawyer, or a biased and crooked prosecutor and am found guilty”. Moderator just answers “if it is determined to be a black and white issue (which I have no problem with)…” he is not answering the “shades of gray” situations…

@MikeBKY does a much better job of clearing the fog than Moderator.

2 Likes

Maybe the wrong question is being asked.
Perhaps a more defined question would get a defined answer.

Maybe something like: under what conditions would USCCA seek cost recovery?

But remember:
You will make every attempt to descalate or avoid
You have been trained and continue to seek proficiency.
You are in fear for your, or your family’s, life before drawing
You had literally no other choice

Most times you wonder if they (the insurance company) will pay right up until the time they make a decision, in this case funds are provided up front and the decision is pending the results of a trial.

Insurance is something you buy hoping never to use.

2 Likes