Would you buy a used gun?

Yes Sure; Gun Stores always have a nice selection of used inventory. I was in the Army for a very long time but I have never purchased anything whatsoever from a pawnshop; although before I took possession I would want to inquire to police to make sure there’s no bodies attached to the gun. Being from Chicago I am aware that it could be a possibly.
If all is good, and a gunsmith said it’s a go I will buy it. I mean a brand new gun could break somehow when you’re shooting, likely No, Possible maybe I mean a Comet could fall out of the sky or you could be hit by lightning. Probably won’t happen but it has a remote possibility.

1 Like

Robert there’s really no worry buying from pawn shops in the modern era. As soon as a firearm is flagged as stolen or used in a crime it is reported to the ATF and will be picked up when they run the serial no for the transfer background check.

2 Likes

Oh I see how it works now. Good Charles I guess I have too much Chicago in me :open_mouth: to have mistrust. But used is often times good by that I mean it’s broken in where triggers are smoother etc, etc.
Thank You :jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

Absolutely, gotta love depreciation… I think I only have one new all the rest were secondhand ( I do have a good gunsmith look at em before I buy em)

1 Like

Would I? Yup. Have I? Yup.

I buy from personal friends, or very reputable forums. Some gun maker’s warranty follows the gun, not the original purchaser. Wilson Combat does that. Most warranty issues are usually found pretty early, unless the owner does not shoot the gun much.

2 Likes

Just don’t get hooked on very limited or one of a kind customs like I did.

I made the mistake of picking up a Model 70 Sharp Shooter about fifteen years go, now I own three including what appears to be a one of a kind SS in .300 RUM. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve purchased a couple of used guns - both on-line and both of which I still own and have had no failures to feed or eject. In each case, I first made sure there were enough clear photos for me to reference. The first one I bought used was a Taurus PT738 .380, and I went for it first after reviewing the pics and then taking into consideration the great price of $165.00 and that (4) magazines were included. I wanted a small backup or pocket carry option. The second one I bought used was a S&W M&P Shield 9mm 2.0. The price was terrific, its reputation and reviews very good, and the previous owner bought it new but only owned it for about six months. The shield is one I carry frequently - including as I type this at home (yes, I carry at home as well).

1 Like

Almost all of my firearms are bought used. I even traded a Smith & Wesson SD40VE that I gave a friend $150 for. The guy was just wanting a pistol. He traded a Marlin 336 30-30 for my $150 pistol. He had only fired it twice. Even gave me the box of rounds he bought with it.

1 Like

I’ve bought most of my big magnum rifles as high end customs dirt cheap from guys who suddenly discovered they had issues with recoil and several that were never fired that were given as gifts to guys that went bugeyed when they opened that beautiful .300 Rum, .375 Ruger, or .375 RUM.

Estate sales of collections can be an especially great source because generally the relatives have no clue what nice custom rifles, shotguns, and pistols are worth.

Other than a couple of Taurus revolvers and a couple of my XD/XDM’s all of my pistols have been bought used and I don’t think my brother and I have gotten “stuck with a dud” on even 2% of our purchases.

3 Likes

I would. Depends on the gun & how bad I want it. But, to this point, I have not bought one. The choices around here are slim too.

2 Likes

I do buy both new and used guns. My wallet usually dictates which way I go. But, sometimes you cant find what you want as a new gun.

3 Likes

I do buy from a local gun pawn shop here in middle Tennessee and just bought a Springfield.45 that was a trade in labeled as used I guess since it was manufactured in 2014, but you can tell it’s never been fired since the manufacturer test fired a round through it which was also in the case when I bought it.

2 Likes

Only way to buy a legal Glock in Massachusetts. Dopey laws “protecting” me from buying new Glocks but I can buy any pre-1998 Glocks I want all day long.

2 Likes

:scream: Ok that’s just weird. Why no new glocks?

1 Like

Same here. I purchased my first gun used but the store makes sure the gun is reliable before selling it to the public.

3 Likes

@Zee apparently back in 98 they passed a bunch of new gun regs, Glock refused to go through the approval process and with having no manual safety and light trigger pull no new glocks could be sold in Mass after 1998. But you can buy and sell pre 1998 all day long.

1 Like

I bought a gen 2 Glock 17 (still had copper grease) from a guy at work. I have almost talked myself into my first online gun purchase of a police trade in Glock 27…All because of that other thread that reminded me how much I wanted a bottleneck handgun caliber, I’ll get the .357 sig barrel and life will be good.

1 Like

Bought a used wheel gun online and it works fine. Carefully inspect pictures and video footage before agreeing to buy. Also I found it helps if you get the seller to agree that if you do not accept the condition when examining it in front of the FFL, they will refund what you paid, after you pay to have it returned to them.

Separately, most of the guns I want must be used because they are so old, eg CZ 75 Short Rail and the Colt Python 2.5" blued, the odds of finding one new is nearly impossible. So keep an open mind when it comes to used guns. Good luck!

4 Likes

Yes, I buy used guns, cars, tools, etc. I love estate sales, I’ve even taken used food (finish the wife’s steak), get most of my clothes from thrift shops, ( ONE RULE, NO USED UNDERWEAR OR CONDOMS ) most guns I find have had less than a box of ammo shot through them unlike before mentioned items.

3 Likes

@Rocklock. You’re really fussy not buying used undies :thinking::thinking:. Just a lil’ humor

1 Like