Workplace bans weapons from my own vehicle in the parking lot and beyond?

It is private property after all

1 Like

Your state legislation should be quite specific concerning this issue. It should be under the concealed weapons legislation, as it is in Florida. I also believe the SCOTUS passed federally that NO employer may prohibit guns from being in the parking lot locked up. However, if you are on federal property the “laws” are different. Like working on base. As in baking a cake for certain parties, you are entitled to certain freedoms under the Constitution.
I cannot quote legislation per your state at this time, however, it should be there to show whether it is legal or not per your state. Although, per the Constitution we are allowed to “bear” arms anywhere. Also check the federal laws, I believe the USCCA app has those as well. If not just look under federal firearm laws.

3 Likes

I know several state courts, district courts ans US courts of appeals has addressed the parking lot issue. I am not aware of any SCOTUS cases where it has been addressed. If you know, please share.

4 Likes

I will research it.

I spent a little time on this, not much. However, I will look more tonight. I found my state law(Florida), which it is legal to have a gun in your car regardless of the employers wishes. I also found a few things linked below. I am researching case law while at work(probably a no-no) :rofl:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-employer-prohibit-me-keeping-gun-car-work.html

Also may I add, that a s firm believer in my Constitutional rights as you all do as well. I disagree with ANY gun law, federal or state for that matter. However, if need be I will have my day in court if that ever does arise.

I shall continue to research this topic.

Kindest regards,

3 Likes

Come to find out they lease their space. It’s a public parking lot so I should be good to go.

4 Likes

CT was not one of the states with a law restricting the employer in 2008. The article goes into great detail on the Heller decision and is a good read.

In part:

The Heller ruling will not have an immediate impact on existing parking lot firearm laws, but it will affect the litigation challenging such laws. The Court has not clearly established when safety concerns outweigh an individual right to bear arms. It also did not address the right to bear arms outside the home. Therefore, it is unclear how employer safety requirements under the general duty clause will be balanced against an individual’s rights under the Second Amendment. What is clear is that the Heller decision will result in a wave of litigation seeking to answer these important questions: within a day of the Court’s ruling, lawsuits were filed challenging San Francisco’s ban on firearms in public housing and Chicago’s gun control laws.

As of 2016, more than 20 states have enacted similar parking lot provisions. Passed in response to robust lobbying campaigns by gun-rights groups such as the National Rifle Association, parking lot laws vary in the level of protection they offer gun owners, but most prohibit employers from asking employees if they own guns, and prohibit employers from firing employees because they own firearms. These laws are frequently in conflict with existing workplace policies, which often limit employee’s ability to bring firearms to work. These types of laws pose major questions about an employer’s ability create comprehensive health and safety policies. On purely legal grounds, it is difficult to conclusively say that state legislatures’ regulation of guns in the workplace is impermissible. However, parking lots laws undoubtedly raise significant questions about how much discretion employers should have in regulating employee conduct.

WHERE CAN’T I CARRY A CONCEALED FIREARM IN CONNECTICUT?

Places off-limits even with a permit/license * Public or private elementary or secondary school property and school-sponsored activities [Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann § 53-206];

1 Like