Workplace bans weapons from my own vehicle in the parking lot and beyond?

Thank you for the informational links. I’m aware of how that works. As you stated, this line is beyond that. This state is very anti-gun, so I’m used to the annoyance. This is actually for a new job, which I have accepted their offer. It’s better than where I am now, but jobs never seem to last long in the tech field these days. I feel like I need a new line of work and in a red state.

2 Likes

What kind of tech job? We’re always hiring and we encourage you to carry at work:

3 Likes

It is a misnomer to call this law “bring your guns to work”. Your employer still decides what they do or don’t accept on their property, but the law prevents the employer from sticking their nose into employees’ property (cars), or cancelling employees over what they own at home.

This was signed into law in 2008, according to your link. Nevertheless, my lefty employer published a Conduct Handbook, I think it was 2017 or 2018, where they banned weapons from vehicles in the parking lot, and claimed they can search the employee person or car! LOL!

2 Likes

LOL indeed.

1 Like

Ghost guns is the answer. They will rematerialized in your safe if taken. It’s kinda spooky but it works.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::laughing::joy:

Sorry couldn’t help myself.

3 Likes

When you were hired you may have signed a form that says you have read and understand and will abide by company policy.

4 Likes

Great post. Resonated; I’ve had a slightly similar experience. I’ll be watching for any trends or changes in my neck of the woods per se.

Initially I felt secure if I could lock my firearm in my vehicle when at work. That in mind, I opted to find a lower cost firearm, for that particular purpose, should it be stolen. That made me invest further in a more secure type of lock system.

However, for a company to ban “carrying” even inside one’s car, on their “lot”; Wow, that’s severe. At first I thought if that happened to me, I’d have to park outside their lot. Your story was compelling to me when your company’s wording describes off of work campus, and not on duty; Trying to wrap my head around that policy, wow. Losing a job can be devastating. I didn’t know they could legally do that.

It made me wonder, that they may never find out if you carried off of work, but if you had to use in an emergency, that could become public knowledge.

Maybe if I find myself in a company with those policies, then I might not ever be happy there because it speaks to who they really are. I guess I’m in that crowd, where I’ll eventually be moving and changing jobsThere should only be pride in leaving them for another more friendly. Best of luck to you Salvatore.

1 Like

Don’t let your name get brought up if you (or your atty) do something to challenge the company policy. Even if CT did uphold your gun rights I have a feeling the attention you draw will get you fired for having your shoes tied improperly or some other reason “completely unrelated” to you having ID yourself as a gunowner.

3 Likes

The policy seems to be poorly worded. This is odd as most companies (at least the ones I’ve worked for) are pretty careful about how things are worded and have it reviewed by legal counsel.

This does make me wonder what sort of policies there are at Everytown or Giffords concerning firearms in the workplace though I think I can imagine where they likely stand on that.

1 Like

It is a learning experience sometimes. Another former employer, this was in VA, saw 2 guys moving shotguns from one trunk to another in their parking lot (leased from the city) and promptly fired both for conduct violation. If you guess that they had to settle a big fat lawsuit within a year, you guessed right.

“Guns for me but not for thee”

3 Likes

welcome Salvatore7

3 Likes

All things related to Desktop Support. I’ve been in IT for about 30 years.

3 Likes

That’s assuming the employer has a legal right to search your property. What are they going to do next - search your home.

If the company is not located on government property then their demands are uninforcable. If you comply you’re a sheeple. Just get a good built in safe and lock it up if it’s that important to you. Or buy a crossbow.

3 Likes

I haven’t stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for awhile, but here goes!

It is my experience that attorneys will do a free of charge assessment of a question over the phone or maybe a live interview to determine how/if they can /will assist.

A call to your local Delta Defense Attorney or Joe Smuckatelli Esq. might get you some answers before there is a fee involved!

1 Like

That is quite a list of opportunities. Wow!

4 Likes

you can almozt get another job but not another life. “Better to be judged by 6 THAN CARRIED BY 6 CARRIED BY 6” right?

2 Likes

@Blacky, Sorry for any confusion - did you see our response yesterday around 10 am? Here’s the answer we provided above sharing the links to CT-specific laws about employment and if a company can prohibit you from carrying at work. As we are not attorneys, we cannot say exactly how the laws will be interpreted by the local jurisdictions.

2 Likes

The whole idea of conceal carry, if done correctly, is that others will not know you are carrying. If locked in your vehicle there should be no right for your Company to be searching your vehicle. The last 10 years of my last job before I retired I carried and only once was I called out for printing, in private, by another employee who was also carrying.
That my friend is a choice you’re going to have to make. I know what I would do.

1 Like

I’ll note that Connecticut is an “at will” state. That means that a company can terminate employment at will, and without cause. And since being a gun owner isn’t considered a “protected class” by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, a company could fire an employee for being a gun owner and there would be no legal recourse.

Is it right? No, it isn’t. But that’s the law.

I say that not to suggest that this company’s policy is correct, because I think it’s bone-headed. And I’m not even sure that the company intended for its policy to essentially disarm its employees on their personal time; my experience is that these policies are often crafted by dim-witted HR bureaucrats.

But it’s probably enforceable, as perverted as that may be.

Mike

3 Likes

My company has a similar firearms policy… No firearms in or on company property, while conducting business (regardless of vehicle), or in personal vehicle while on company property. However, they are never going to gain access to my personal vehicle, and I don’t advertise that there may or may not be a firearm in my vehicle, so no one would ever know👀 . As for me on my personal time, if it’s against company policy that I own guns, there’s a saying I have used one other time that I would use again…“f-it, fire me!”… There’s always another job out there.

3 Likes