Words of Wisdom, or Preaching to the Choir?

“Learn to expect the UNexpected!” - a carryover when driving became a UPITA for me. “Be a HARD target to hit, or a TOUGH target to hit” - a carryover from casual study of martial arts. “When it’s YOUR turn, don’t give it BACK!” - an example of the “combat mindset”. “Your rights end at your fist - mine begin at the end of my nose.” - freedom versus liberty. “Politics have degenerated from public service into SELF-service.” - no mystery, here. “If a**holes could FLY, you’d be a JET!” - just a general observation of bosses I dealt with in the series of dead-end jobs in my working life. “If you kill the body, the head will follow.” - repeat of an ancient saying in boxing.

2 Likes

Be polite.
Be Professional.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet. (Printed on the door of a FOB comms shack in Iraq.)

Fast is Slow.
Slow is Slow.
Smooth is Fast. (Gun fighter mantra)

Never forget to look up. (CQB instructor to me after I got “dead” in a kill house because I didn’t)

If I wanted the opinion of an A$$hole, I’d fart. (Me on more than one occasion)

Do not fight to defeat your enemy, fight to destroy it. (Some General somewhere prior to PC)

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

Quote from Wyatt Earp on gunfighting: “Learn to take your time, in a hurry.” Bravo!

4 Likes

Saw this on some meme somewhere, attributing it to Mattis. Figured it was from Iraq.

1 Like

I would submit that the good General may be given credit for it but it was also a common mantra for Marine Embassy Guards as far back as 1988 when I heard it for the first time in Panama and again in Monrovia, Liberia in 1996, later in other places. So I guess the author is unknown but was probably a Staff SGT on Embassy Duty keeping his young bucks on their toes.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Thank you. Wherever it’s from, whoever said it, it’s sound advice.

1 Like

Those that think that they know it all, really piss us off that do - My Dad