Who do you call after defending with a firearm?

Hello everyone, I am a newbie here.

I have viewed and absorbed as much as I can from online training on this subject, especially USCCA.
My question: although I don’t have a legal counselor at this time, if I were to use my weapon and harmed someone with my firearm, and then called 911, what next?
Do I call a common number at USCCA for representation and or direction, or am I expected to have a defense attorney already in my phonebook?

3 Likes

@CameraShoot Welcome to the community. For help call 1-800-674-9779.
Or @moderators on here. :us:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community. Along with the phone number already provided. I would suggest that you find a USCCA Instructor in your area and take one of his or her courses offered. Our Course of Instruction provides exactly what to do and whom you should call.

Stay safe!

6 Likes

Thanks Bruce26, I am doing that. I believe on the initial phone intro, it may have already answered my question.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @CameraShoot and you are in the right place at the right time.

2 Likes

If you have the USCCA membership Insurance just follow the instructions on the back of the card.

6 Likes

Welcome @CameraShoot!

If you want a specific attorney, you can let USCCA know and they will add that info to your account. If you have the time, you may want to talk to a few lawyers in your area to see if there is someone you would prefer to represent you.

3 Likes

Being prepared has never hurt anybody. I would suggest go through the USCCA and find an Attorney before you even need one. Talk to him and have his card in your wallet.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! This was a real help and answered my question. I also had a great long chat with one of the agents at the 800 # provided by Bruce26!

3 Likes

Great suggestion!

1 Like

Welcome!
I think it’s fantastic you are actually thinking about this before it happens. Kudos.

4 Likes

Thanks, Aaron25. Actually just sent an email to a local USCCA attorney moments ago and filed this info in my cell phone. Not having someone to call is really scary especially when speaking of a shooting. It’s one of the reasons I joined USCCA in the first place.

2 Likes

I cross referenced AVVO Criminal Defense attorneys with USCCA attorneys and sent emails to a few saying I just joined the USCCA and wanted to talk to them about self defense situations. I met with 2 lawyers in person and one of them was helpful and very open. He was also active in 2A related events. He’s now on my profile to contact.

Good Luck!

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip, PDA3, as naturally, this is all new to me. I took your advice and also contacted one of the AVVO attorneys who happen to be in my town!

3 Likes

The entire scrip on what to do is printed on the back of your membership card. Please read, do and say EXACTLY what’s printed on the card. It gives your attorney the best case platform to work from.

In summary:
Call 911 and say the TWO sentences printed on the card and HANG UP.
Call the USCCA Critical Response Team toll free number and let them walk you through the rest.
When the police arrive tell them you will cooperate fully with any investigation but you will NOT say another word until your attorney shows up!!!

You now have “lawyered up” and they have to leave you alone.

From that point forward you speak ONLY To your attorney!!! They decide what, how and when things gets told to the investigators and the rest of the legal system.

6 Likes

Thanks for the great advice Enzo_T. I’m trying to prepare if the need comes without losing it!

2 Likes

This :point_up_2:should always be your first call.

2 Likes

This is me, Before becoming a member. 911, Call lawyer,Wait, Remain silent. Now the modification is follow instructions on back of my member card.
Since becoming a member had looked around fro capable attorneys. Not sure that the avg lawyer here specializes in self Defense cases. It may be a question to ask now before hand

BTW Welcome to the community

1 Like

Before I wrote my comment I should have said see Enzo T statement above

1 Like

Thanks Arnie_W. The whole intent was for a backup. Both rather local with one listed by USCCA and the other from another similar source.

2 Likes