Which .45 to get?

RE: Ammo, I already know what I will do there. Shoot 230gr Gold Dot and/or HST for defense (I already have some of both…I own no .45 now but have in the past) and shoot any factory new non-winchester 230gr FMJ at the range (preferably Federal/Speer/CCI)

3 Likes

For ammo considerations, use Lucky Gunner self-defense ammo tests - but ONLY as a GUIDE. Most of these tests date back to 2015 - others - for .38, ,357, the DOA .357 Sig, and the 10mm - date back to 2017 and '18. And, frankly - their choices in test guns can also leave you in the lurch - their test gun for the .45 ACP was a Kahr CW45, with a 3.6" barrel - and I wouldn’t give you 10 cents for one! I expected at least a 1911 - the “nostalgic dinosaur” - or one of its variants, like a “Commander”. There’s ALWAYS some TRADEOFF, someWHERE.

1 Like

All that really matters for the test guns is the barrel length/velocity achieved for the test.

The real key to ballistics test is the test medium used (so the resultant measurements can be compared to a known repeatable standard) and the measurements collected (expanded bullet size, penetration depth)

Lucky gunner has a lot of tests, no research is complete in this area IMO without stopping by there along the way

2 Likes

I got one of these a few years ago for a price I couldn’t refuse. It is a very nice pistol both from a comfort and shootability standpoint. But it would take me a lot of practice to really get used to transitioning smoothly from that first heavy double action pull to the rest of the much lighter single action pulls.

Since my primary SD options are either striker fired or act like striker fired I won’t be adding this to my defensive option list. I don’t want my body to get confused under stress. But I will likely hang onto it because it is a nice pistol, gives me an extra caliber option and I can show it to people who are considering new firearms so they can see the difference between DA/SA and striker fired. Now I need to add a true single action to the collection so I have at least one sample of each of the common operating systems:)

2 Likes

I definitely understand the “muscle memory” factor. By all means, keep that Sig, if for any other reason it is a great investment.

3 Likes

If you look at some of the new .45s on the market, you might want to trade it in, or use it for a door-stop.

1 Like

Gun to my head forced to pick…. Glock.

2 Likes

Which one do you shoot the best, accuracy and speed-wise?
Rent examples at a range and see for yourself.
.45 makes a mighty big hole, so I like safeties.

2 Likes

The only 45 I would own.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

5 Likes

Yeah…now, THERE are some BIG holes…I wonder if .45 JHPs can make them close to the SAME size…

2 Likes

This is why it help us to do our research before we buy. We have to check to see whether we can find support for our purchases, but often we purchase and then struggle to find support for what we purchased, i.e., purchased the new gun, but can’t find a holster for it, or ammo, anything else. Frustrating, but…we do it.

3 Likes

Do you like to tinker? Want a project? HK USP 45 plus LEM trigger kit. You can remove the safety/decocker with this setup, long but light first pull (sounds confusing but its the same trigger pull every time, but a short reset if continually firing), 12+1 rounds in stock form, +3 extenders available (although I haven’t checked on current availability on any of these).

Down sides, not cheap, it’s a project, supplies are limited, USP is a big gun (Expert shoots slightly smoother but even bigger), and some don’t like the mag release (I like it). For me, the biggest PITA was putting in the heavy trigger spring as I didn’t want a super light trigger).

The same can be done with the HK45 with LEM trigger, but it is 10+1.

1 Like

Interesting take.

No more a “door stop” than a P51.

Since my miserable online experience trying to order a Grand Power P45L from Double M Defense, I’ve switched my attention to acquiring a Smith 2.0 .45 Thumb-Safety version directly through my new local dealer - its 4.6" barrel is the longest offered - a 4.5" is the MINIMUM length I’d shoot in this caliber, and l see no problems as a carry gun, although I’d prefer a DA/SA - the 1911 and its clones I’ve nick-named “Nostalgiasaurus”. If you want to see how a company can REALLY screw-up an original design, look for videos on the Colt “Eagle” - it was put together with a lick-and-a-promise to compete in the first pistol trials to adopt a 9mm in the '90’s. Sig Sauer won THAT one too, but were too arrogant and cheap to build the required production plant here. Beretta was facing bankruptcy at the time, and JUMPED at the chance to move here - I think the initial military contract was for over 200,000 pistols. FYI

Just something to think about… As much as I like my M2.0, there’s been some rumors going around that the M2.0’s can fire out of battery. You might want to double check for this when you go to pick up your Smith.

Nathan, did you ever make a choice?
If, yes, what did you acquire and how do you like it so far?

1 Like

Soooo I went wild card, had a big year birthday, so I blew the wad (and then some) on a semi auto .308, AR10 style, pulled out all the stops with an LMT

So instead of going from a bunch of 9mm caliber up to .45 I went from a bunch of 5.56 cal up to a full .30 battle rifle lol

5 Likes

:laughing:

Sounds like fun.

And I understand LMT makes an AR-10 as good as, or better, than any. :+1:

2 Likes

AR10 is a kitchen utensil, not a battle rifle! :wink:

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @John1507

1 Like