When you "Bear-ly" survive

Yup. Have guns at home.

5 Likes

Already posted here with updates. Posts 76 to 83. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

My picture has a local bear, deer checking him out in my yard last week. Guy hung out, found something interesting in the woods about 30ā€™ from my pool. Talking to a guy at the club the other day who had one in his kitchen. He opened the door and shooed it out, said it looked at him like ā€œaw, really?ā€ :smile:
This storyā€¦
Of course the bear charged after it got shot. Iā€™ve been face to face with a few generally 2-3 times my size (4-600)and itā€™s been memorable and awesome, but the pistol never came out of the holster. Guess my contact wonā€™t make media. Best local was the sunbathing girl a town over, had one licking the lotion off her armā€¦ Thereā€™s been some black bear attacks in the news, but from what Iā€™ve seen of the pux the victims took, an aggressive bear is easily noticedā€¦like a dog.

5 Likes

Bears donā€™t bother me but I donā€™t like cats last year I let the dogs out and they started barking but it was a different bark than usual I went to check it out I opened the door and stepped out and came face to face with a mountain lion I grabbed my gun and yelled at the dogs to get inside all the while staring at the cat that was 5 feet from me the dogs ran into the house and then I went in and closed the door I guess I interrupted his dinner

5 Likes

About 20 years ago there was a big bear hanging around the neighborhood. One day I saw it and tried to take some pictures with one of those plastic Kodak mail in cameras. It sat down in a stream and when I tried to advance the film I was so nervous I broke the advance lever. Didnā€™t get any pics.

2 Likes

This is on the way to my club. No, I didnā€™t take the video, but itā€™s pretty funnyā€¦

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a guy whoā€™s hiking in the woods one day when a bear chases him up a really tall tree.

The bear started to climb the tree, so the guy climbed up higher. Then, the bear climbed down and went away.

So the guy starts to climb down the tree. Suddenly, the bear returns, and this time heā€™s brought an even bigger bear with him. The two bears climb up the tree, the bigger bear going higher than the first. But the guy climbed even higher still, so the bears couldnā€™t reach him. Eventually, the bears went away.

Naturally quite relieved, the guy starts down the tree again. Suddenly, the two bears return. But this time the guy knew he was in big trouble.

Each bear was carrying a BEAVER.

10 Likes

Do they really hide in a corner in California :wink::rofl:
After being around large animals that will eat me, and pee on you, yes, I was peed on twice by a lion.
Bears, I wouldnā€™t be able to unload the magazine quick enough. Mountain Lion? I would attack it with a bear hug and take it homešŸ˜Ž

5 Likes

When I was RVing in bear country I kept a shotgun loaded with Brenneke slugs handy. In Alaska I carried the shotgun whenever I was out in the boonies.

5 Likes

Out on my e-bike today, I went up a side road, dead ends at a reservoir, one house, my dream location.Anyways, I stop to admire the view, and for the first time I notice someone at the house. Woman comes over, says ā€œI have to tell you, a bear just went through my yardā€ā€¦and I smiled,and we got to talkingā€¦she mentioned one looking through the window while she and her husband were eatingā€¦
What a location, she has 68 acres passed down from her parents, grew up there,and is now dividing the land up with her siblingsā€¦not for sale :+1:

2 Likes

Just recalled an encounter in my misadventurous youth. My buddy and I were in the Tetons, car camping/hiking/climbing mid-late September. We need water, and Iā€™d noticed some ducks the evening before flying overhead, descending into the woods, so figured there must be a lake or pond there. Night before at our spot in a field, we had a pack of wolves hanging out with us, very cool,but I stayed up all nightā€¦ anyways we grab our canteens, head towards the woods, get into it, itā€™s thick, canā€™t see far, and all the sudden we hear a loud growl then a squeal/scream sound. My bud was in front, he turned around, knocks me on my ass, running for his life. I was right behind him. We were so scared we drove the '75 Chevy Vega into to field, and pulled the tents in from inside the car. Sounded like a grizzly/elk encounter to me. Grizzlies werenā€™t supposed to be around, but we met a guide shortly after who stabbed one in the neck as it attacked him.

4 Likes

With hunting season, been thinking about safety around bears, cougars, moose. Realizing the odds of encounters are low, still I like preparing. I never realized how ā€œstealthy and fastā€ they are. Supposedly, we have the ā€œbrainsā€.

I know avoiding them is key. But find true stories interesting. Two of my faves are:

Bear:

Moose:

2 Likes