Bear hand guns

So last night Mr/s Bear visited us again. Destroyed the trash can, bent the shepherds hook the oriole feeder was on and caused other damage.

So my 9mm handguns will not cut it out here on the farm (moved back to our farm when dad passed in Feb to help since mom since she can not take care of 20 acres alone).

So do it get a 10mm, a 45, or just go and get a S&W 500?

3 Likes

.357 mag will handle up to black bear, as would 10mm. If it’s the big bruins, I’d look into something in 454, 460, or my personal pick, 480. 480 Ruger has a lot more power than 44 mag, but, since it’s low pressure, it doesn’t punish the shooter as much as 454, 460, and 500. You can get a Ruger Alaskan in 480, if you want to hike with it. Or, get either a Super Redhawk, or Super Blackhawk if you wanted a longer barrel. Ammo selection is the biggest limitation of the 480.

2 Likes

I have plenty of long guns that would take down a bear Ithaca model 37 12 gauge, Marlin 30-30, Jap 7.7, and Savage 30.06 it is more wanting something to carry around while doing yard work, tending to the garden, and picking berries.

2 Likes

Then I would look at a Ruger Alaskan.

1 Like

Is 6 rounds going to be enough for a bear?

2 Likes

Great choices of hand guns. You use what is the best for you and you can
operate it to the safeties and with accuracy. You are the BOSS ! The 10 mm
can range from .40 SW +P to .357 Magnums powers. 1000 to 1600 fps power.

(round of +or _ , but there are few to choose from. Best Wishes.

1 Like

A grizzly can run 50 yards in 3 seconds. The average person would be doing good to get 6 shots, of anything powerful enough to penetrate a grizzly, in that time. Big bore power, and hard cast bullets are the way to go with bear. If I wear in an area where I might encounter a big Bruin, I’d rather a lever action rifle, or a 12 gauge with sabot slugs in it. Penetration is the name of the game on a bear. I have heard that some Alaskan guides have tried 10mm, with some success.

4 Likes

I carry a Taurus Tracker TI in 41 mag for bear defense when I’m in the Rockies. I also have the equivalent in both .45LC and 44mag.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/813508293

They are very handy, light, five shot four inch revolvers. I also carry them for daily carry quite frequently.

The 10mm in a semi auto is also a very good choice although considerably heavier.

I shoot both the 10mm and .41mag on large wild boar quite frequently and they are about as heavily muscled and densely bodied as all but the largest of bears and extremely difficult to bring down quickly absent a direct hit to the central nervous system. Anything that works well on large boars you should find very effective in bear defense for all but the very largest of bears.

If I lived in Grizzly country my go to defense would be a 12g with slugs or one of my M1A’s.

2 Likes

If you can manage a direct CNS shot with a stout, deep penetrating jacketed hollow point or cast lead bullet they will do the job quickly.

Unless your’e dealing with a truly enraged bear such as a sow protecting her Cubs or a Boar in a territorial/breeding rights dispute a couple of well placed shots even if not immediately effective will likely be enough of a deterrent to stop the attack long enough to make your escape.

2 Likes

I also would like to hear comments on whether or not a .45ACP would be sufficient for black bear, brown bear, or wild boar. I assume it is with a FMJ ammo for penetration, but having people’s opinion who know first hand would be very welcomed.

1 Like

I think I will be getting Fort Scott Munitions spun copper for the 10mm. Saw a video where the used the 380 ACP Fort Scott spun copper fired from a rifle take down a bear single bullet.

Warning: Graphic content of a bear autopsy

Hi I think you would be better off with a pump shotgun with slugs than a handgun. I did read an article about a guy who defended himself from a bear with a 9mm! I don’t think he had a choice though lol. You don’t need a very expensive shotgun just one that can take rifled slugs. Just a suggestion, stay safe. :sunglasses::+1:t2:

1 Like

I do agree, application wise, that a shotgun would put one down faster and more reliably, but for work I also need my hands free to do the data sampling I do. Also, I need prefer doing so without freaking others I may encounter in the field who would wonder why I am carrying around a shotgun/rifle. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@MikeGoCommando I have an Ithaca Model 37, the problem is outside doing work on the hobby farm and the big guys being around. I need something on me while doing work.

3 Likes

Ahh I see, ok then did you say you had a 10mm?
I would probably carry that with Hornady Critical Duty! I had my 9mm Sig 320 on me the other day when I was checking my feeder. I have some property. Anyway a group of pigs came out and I shot one with it. The round stop the pig in about 5 feet. I was pretty happy with the performance of the round? I think 10mm with a good round should work :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

@MikeGoCommando on July 25th after the sale of my old house I will be getting a 10mm. Leaning towards the Sig p220 hunter. Right now I carry my S&W M&P 2.0 full size around doing chores with Hornady Critical Defense.

3 Likes

With tough, deep penetrating JHP’s in a +P or ++ load the .45 acp would be more than adequate. I’m fortunate to get near endless opportunities on big wild boar every year and have taken quite a few with them.

Definitely not my first choice on the big Brown/Grizzly but at least they’ll probably be able to positively ID the one that killed you.

A good friend years ago who had lived in AK most of his life told me when I asked about bear defense told me “Just aim for what’s aiming to kill you”. He later explained that if you filled the mouth and throat with lead your chances of survival go up dramatically.

3 Likes

More power and energy is better for sure but it’s hard to keep your 870 Rem handy when you’re wading a stream or working quietly along the banks.

1 Like

Most manufacturers, 10mm is a conversion from .45. Glock designed the 10mm first and the .45 is a conversion from 10mm. Some people say that matters. I suggest a Glock 20 (or 40) for open carry, Glock 29 for concealed. Not many people will mind if their Glock falls on rocks and gets scratched. 15+1 capacity. The Buffalo Bore solid cast lead bullets are an issue with Glock barrels though. Underwood makes solid copper penetrating rounds, but they are lighter. Congrats on going 10mm!!

2 Likes

I have heard from a number of different sources, do not use hollow points or critical defense for bear. Just a FMJ. It was said that bear hide (being so thick) wouldn’t allow defense rounds to penetrate. I’ve put it in practice in the wild but have never come across a bear thusfar. What are y’all’s thoughts on the matter? Thanks

1 Like