Man Defends Himself Against Loose Tiger In Houston Neighborhood With Only A Handgun

4 Likes

Friends of mine today were walking on a trail and spotted a bear besides the trail. He had his .38 but, now will be carrying his .45. I have stated before, If you see a mountain lion he had already seen you and knows how he wants to take you down and where he is going to eat you!

6 Likes

Yea. I don’t understand people that run or hike trails where mountain lions are known to exist. At least without protection. Knife, gun hard long stick as well as know how to use them. Better to always take a buddy, preferably someone you don’t like. Shoot him in the knee and run like he’ll.

5 Likes

Glad the owner showed up just in time.

I would hate to shoot someone else’s pet but my life is more valuable than them.

3 Likes

This is why I tell people .22 is the best bear defense round.

Seriously though, I don’t walk any woods or trail without a “weapon” of some kind. Depending on the woods/trail, I’ll use hard cast lead, or FMJ ammo. With thick skinned, large predators, penetration is the name of the game.

5 Likes

Yes, I agree on the ammo choice. .45 ACP minimum but it would be better to have 10mm or .44 magnum.

I’ve read that about carrying a .22. It’s hilarious. But in reality can a person really react quick enough against a big cat? It’s kind of like bathing in blood and then going swimming in the open water or beach. I avoid swimming in open water because I know what’s in it. Not without a knife and scuba gear anyhow.

3 Likes

I mean, if we’re going to start comparing sizes again, then I guess I’m compelled to say:
“I don’t know why anyone would get out of bed unless they’re carrying a rifle and two belts of 7.62.”

1 Like

I’m talking about defending against a dangerous thick skinned animal that wants to eat you. I’m not confident that a low caliber, low pressure round would stop a big cat.

3 Likes

I am definitely not well enough armed to take on a tiger on my walks down the street or through the woods, unless I happen to be carrying my hunting rifle. But mountain lions are not particularly thick skinned or large bodied compared to humans. A 9mm with bounded bullets would do the job. If you could hit it in a good spot. Which is unlikely if they are actually after you as they are very good ambush predators. I have had to do a ton of unarmed hiking in prime mtn lion habitat without fear or incident. As long as you aren’t running or biking which looks like fleeing prey to them. But even for people doing those activities attacks are very rare though likely to be a bit higher this year in CA due to all of last years fire and the continuing drought.

2 Likes

I’m not going to take pot shots at any big cat with any caliber.

If a large cat attacks me, I’ll use anything I have on hand. A little 22 might not kill the cat, but it might annoy it sufficiently to leave me alone. Then again, I’ve never trained on how to draw a pistol and fire while being mauled by a tiger, that sounds complicated. :crazy_face:

Now if we’re talking bears, I’m not confident that any pistol caliber will do anything but make it angry. Best bet, hike with a buddy. Even bears don’t like being outnumbered. If you have a group of 3 or more, you’re usually safe.

3 Likes

Thank god that the Tiger was a house pet and probably raised that way because if it had been a wild Tiger, as in a jungle, that pistol would not have saved you if he decided to attack. Even if you shot him in the head it may not penetrate it would ricochet and piss him off.

2 Likes

I’ve read that in Alaska, some backwoods guides are starting to carry 10 mm pistols.

On small bears(black bears) and cats, .357 mag with proper ammo is fine. Big bears, I don’t want anything less than 44 mag, and would prefer something like 480 Ruger.

4 Likes

If you’re facing down a Grizzly or a grouchy Polar Bear, you’d better have more than a pistol.

3 Likes

I too would feel better about a 44 magnum against a 400 lb. bear or a mountain lion. I do not own one yet!

4 Likes

Wear this with some grenades next time. image

2 Likes

What does a pet tiger do to house prices in that neighborhood? :slight_smile:

2 Likes