What's the worst advice you've ever gotten?

I use that in every concealed carry class I teach!

3 Likes

Dawn - you forgot to add the boyfriends forgetting to tell girlfriends to wear some sort of protective clothing. And of course giving a first time shooter a hand cannon. :smiley:

3 Likes

My daughter showed me a you tube video she’d been watching about sight alignment by a “firearms instructor”. He opened with telling his audience that a lot had been said about stance, sight picture, grip, etc. He then held his pistol upside down with a convoluted two or three finger grip and placed an obviously staged shot in a bullseye at 20 yards and told folks to forget all that other crap and do what’s comfortable for you. Some idiots need to be shut down forever.

2 Likes

My good friend has been a long time carrier. When I started carrying I went to him for advice. I ask " what insurance carrier you use?". He said “for what”. I said " you know for carrying your gun." He looked at me and laughed. He said " what would you need to waste your money in that for? You shoot someone in self-defense your not going to jail." And laughed again. I seen his daughter walk by. I said ok… “What type of locks you use on your guns or do u have a safe?” He looked me right in the eye and said “how can you defend yourself if there is a lock on it or it’s in a safe?” I said " ok so where you keep your magazine then?" He said " In the gun stupid!" I said “wait, I thought you told me you have 6 handguns around this house?”. He said “yeah and?” I asked “Does your daughter know where they are?” He said “yeah why?” I asked " isn’t your daughter 6?". He said “yeah why?” I finished by saying " and you call me stupid."

We can teach our kids about guns but at the end of the day. There still kids

5 Likes

Just … WOW.

1 Like

I laughed just reading the topic heading then, something occurred to me. Early warning, if you like, for bad advice.

The worst advice I can think of starts with the words ( or obvious implication ) " you should take their word for it" - - - Good advice usually advocates the opposite.

2 Likes

As an early teen I was taught to draw from holster and shoot the weapon on your way up to the front sight press. sending lead at your feet, the street, all things in between, all the way up your enemy/assaulter. You cannot react to a threat this way in the civilian sector. Things are VERY different in war zones. This method is wrong. Unless you have a death wish upon your feet or the feet of whomever may have the misfortune to meet your muzzle end. I laugh about it now, but I think the old Vietnam vet this “advice” came from had too many stories to do with his Army issue M1911. And shooting at feet. Sick times. Hope this brings at least one person a smile. I know how I’d LIKE to be able to train.

4 Likes

Get your ccw, join some 2A group. Now all I do is sit around & dry fire, store ammo, go to the range. Can’t go anywhere without running scenarios through my mind, feel likee a freaking owl. I’m just a mess. My thanks to Tim & Kevin, you & the rest…

4 Likes

This would be the “just doing it for a paycheck” guys. I hate these people.

3 Likes

We’re from the Government and we are here to help you. :innocent::eyes::us_outlying_islands:

10 Likes

“Better to be judged by 7 than carried away by 6” or something to that affect.

:point_right:t5:Better to not be in the 1st situation at all. We all will be carried by 6 at some point. That’s inevitable.

“Kill’em all & let God sort’em out”

:point_right:t5:Think this came from a movie but I’ve heard folk repeat it. I’m nobody’s judge or jury & no interest in being executioner.

“9mm is for girls…”

:point_right:t5: It’s more than for girls obviously- have you not noticed the current shortage?

🤦🏾✌🏾

2 Likes

" Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. "
1209, Arnoldus Amalricus

3 Likes